Thread: Promazine ... can't live on it, can't live without it

Promazine ... can't live on it, can't live without it

This drug is quite nasty. It's fine if you've got a regular uninterrupted supply without jumping through hoops every week with the pharmacy and doctor.

Been on it 2 years or so. Doctor upped my dose recently. I have the liquid form because they don't stock the tiny yellow tablets, only the large white ones - which I choke on. The doctor only gives me 2 bottles a week, rather than the 8 bottles a month. It's not a fear of overdose, it's a mess up with doctor, prescriptions department and pharmacy.

Every time I go without, even if it's a missed dose, the side effects quickly come on.

Vomiting is 100% certain. Constant nausea. Feeling absolutely awful. I itch so much when I have non, so much so my leg swelled up Saturday after 20 minutes constant itching.

I missed a dose today by 2 hours because I overslept and the nausea came on rapidly. Any longer and it would have turned into vomitting.

And the thing is, if I do push through the symptoms and try to come off it (as I have), I end up agitated, angry, "fk everyone" type of attitude. The reason why I was given promazine was to control those moods so I need it really.

So I'm like ... stuck.

Just want to talk with others who may in the same both with other medications.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: Promazine ... can't live on it, can't live without it

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    The doctor only gives me 2 bottles a week, rather than the 8 bottles a month. It's not a fear of overdose, it's a mess up with doctor, prescriptions department and pharmacy.
    Then one or more of them need to extract their digits and fix the supply issue, James. That is their job. I'd be leaning on the pharmacy in particular.

Every time I go without, even if it's a missed dose, the side effects quickly come on.

Vomiting is 100% certain. Constant nausea. Feeling absolutely awful. I itch so much when I have non, so much so my leg swelled up Saturday after 20 minutes constant itching.
    Promazine is sometimes prescribed as an anti-emetic, i.e. to stop nausea and vomiting so I assume this is some type of rebound effect, however, as per below I'm puzzled by how quickly such withdrawal effects seem to begin and wonder if there might be something else going on which promazine is masking.

I missed a dose today by 2 hours because I overslept and the nausea came on rapidly. Any longer and it would have turned into vomitting.
    Promazine has a fairly long half-life, 20-40 hours so there shouldn't be such a quick reaction to a missed dose. Have you discussed this with your GP? It might require further investigation.

And the thing is, if I do push through the symptoms and try to come off it (as I have), I end up agitated, angry, "fk everyone" type of attitude. The reason why I was given promazine was to control those moods so I need it really.

So I'm like ... stuck.
    You may really need it, or it could be that what you're experiencing when you stop taking it is withdrawal and once weaned off you'd be fine. I don't know enough about your history to judge which is the more likely. That is something you should discuss with your doctors. Another possibility is switching to another antipsychotic with no supply issues.

The best, probably only way of successfully quitting is by slowly tapering off it is small step over a month, or more. Just stopping is very unlikely to work and will likely cause far worse issues, mate.

Yeah it is strange how quickly the side effects come on. I think it's possible it's because I'm liquid form and it hits the system far quicker. I have to take it every 4 hours which is also confusing if it doesn't have a short half life. Everything is ok with me otherwise. I eat like a horse once I've had the promazine and I've had no nausea, or vomitting.

Fed up of it all to be honest. Wish I could sleep for 2 weeks and wake up medication free.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Yeah it is strange how quickly the side effects come on. I think it's possible it's because I'm liquid form and it hits the system far quicker.
    The data sheet says the same 20-40 hours as for tablets so that's not it.

I have to take it every 4 hours which is also confusing if it doesn't have a short half life.
    Yeah, whatever is going on it shouldn't be withdrawal, given the half-life. It would be unlikely even if you were taking promazine once daily, but really strange if you're dosing ever 4 hours. What about at night? I'm assuming you don't get up in the middle of the night to take it so do you have the nausea and vomiting urge in the morning, James?

Everything is ok with me otherwise. I eat like a horse once I've had the promazine and I've had no nausea, or vomitting.
    Promazine is a potent antihistamine and they often triggers strong food cravings.

Fed up of it all to be honest. Wish I could sleep for 2 weeks and wake up medication free.
    While it sounds wonderful this is something for which the warning 'be careful what you wish for, you might get it' applies. Anaesthesia-assisted detox was briefly popular for opiate withdrawal about a decade ago it turned out to be very risky.

Back again. I'm almost 48 hours without this morning. I wanted to test if these symptoms were the promazine withdrawal. Piece of mind, lol.

Like clockwork around this time the bad symptoms are creeping. Constant pooping, gut nausea, which in turn causes anxiety. If I leave it for another day the itchiness will set in. The vomiting will happen tonight if I don't take my meds. I won't go that far. Just took them.

I think meds effect us individually. I've been upped again so it's related no doubt. I know pulling stunts like this isn't good, but I'm documenting it and reporting it to my doctor to be on the safe side.

☪️️

Back again. I'm almost 48 hours without this morning. I wanted to test if these symptoms were the promazine withdrawal. Piece of mind, lol.

Like clockwork around this time the bad symptoms are creeping. Constant pooping, gut nausea, which in turn causes anxiety. If I leave it for another day the itchiness will set in. The vomiting will happen tonight if I don't take my meds. I won't go that far. Just took them.
    Um...now I'm confused, James. Your OP said missing a dose by just 2 hours would trigger nausea leading to vomiting, but now they're starting at 48 hours after the last dose? Did you mean 2 days instead of 2 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Um...now I'm confused, James. Your OP said missing a dose by just 2 hours would trigger nausea leading to vomiting, but now they're starting at 48 hours after the last dose? Did you mean 2 days instead of 2 hours?
    Wait now I'm confused. I re-read what I put and its a bit of a mess. I've kept a diary I shall put that so it makes it easier to seen. Sorry about that PDU.

☪️️

I hate this cocktail. I sleep so much on these meds. It did get better, but there's so much wonkiness with my promazine. Doctor still won't give me the monthly dose and insists on weekly.

Tired of it all. Literally.

☪️️

I hate this cocktail. I sleep so much on these meds. It did get better, but there's so much wonkiness with my promazine. Doctor still won't give me the monthly dose and insists on weekly.
    Are you still seeing the psychiatry team, James? If so can they override your GP on how promazine is prescribed, and/or lower the dose?

Thread Information