Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: vaccine tomorrow

Re: vaccine tomorrow

My dad had his today. Everyone is kept a metre apart queuing and sitting afterwards. There were 3 vaccinating at the centre and others asking questions on he door or directing people. He had to wait a short time seated and was given a piece of paper indicating the time he could leave from.

It was all well managed by the sounds of things. They give you some information (sheet about the specific vaccine you had, leaflet on vaccines and the virus, when to chase the 2nd dose if you don't hear from your doctor) which include info on side effects which are very low impacting. The side effects are nothing compared to the many nasty leaflets we see in mental health meds.

My dad had the Pfizer one.

You will be fine, Nic. If you need a break, tell them. I'm sure they will understand and support you. And you really need it for you as well as your work.

Wishing you all the very best for today and I hope the whole procedure goes as smoothly as possible. I completely understand your reservations but you need this protection and the sooner the better x

Hi Nic,

I'm not sure if I am too late in replying as it is today you are planned to have the vaccine.
    But if I am not too late I would suggest you tell the person administering the vaccine of your fears and they will talk you through it. I expect as you have been called early that you are in the vulnerable category and that in itself will be feeding you worry. Hearing and reading about news articles can also add to the fear.
    But if you look at it logically. Do you think they would be vaccinating millions of people if there were a risk?
    And up to date a mass of people have already received theirs. But I understand your reservations, I have them myself as mainly I have a phobia of meds, I don't even take antibiotics.
    Obviously if you didn't need to have it, you wouldn't by choice. Just like the flu jab. It's a choice.
    Another alternative is too wait and postpone if you are struggling so badly that it is feeding you with so much worry.
    I don't think you've ever posted with a concern before, well since I have been here which is 7 years.
    All I can say is go with your gut instinct and what is right for you. xx

I understand it too, really I do, I too have a phobia of medicines and don't even use standard painkillers. I honestly announed a few weeks ago 'I'm not having it, period, never!'. I literally feel exactly the same way as you about these vaccines, but I have been reassured by (luckily) some scientific people around me. They tell me that any vaccine could be produced this quickly, all the necessary safety checks have been undertaken and its safety is already proved, and the only difference between this one and any other is the amount of funding that was thrown at it ! Actually one medic laughed at me, and said 'if only as much effort could be applied to other vaccines and medications' we'd have loads of things sorted out ! I have seen many elderly people around me have it, some over 90, as the first category and 4 weeks later they are fine and healthy These aren't revolutionary and new vaccine technologies, they are standard processes of using benign introductions to the body, to stimulate the immune system.

Its worth remembering also that the first people to have this have been highly qualified doctors, who know and understand the indepth safety and processes of this method of vaccination; if they'd have refused, then I would have been worried (part of me writing this to you, is in order to continue convincing myself LOL)
    Last edited by Carys; 22-01-21 at 10:36.

Thanks for all the support.

I am having it at 2.50 so leaving for the hospital about 2pm.

In a few hours it will all be over with and I will be fine.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Best of luck, Nic! Sure you don't need it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Thanks for all the support.

I am having it at 2.50 so leaving for the hospital about 2pm.

In a few hours it will all be over with and I will be fine.

My 90 and 97 year old neighbours had theirs finally a few days ago and they are both fine! They both have ongoing health concerns too. Good luck and it's good news that you have been called early!

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    They tell me that any vaccine could be produced this quickly, all the necessary safety checks have been undertaken and its safety is already proved, and the only difference between this one and any other is the amount of funding that was thrown at it !
    Exactly this Carys. The guys making the vaccine were basically given everything they needed and told to come up with a vaccine ASAP. If this had been a localised outbreak somewhere in Africa and not affecting us first world countries, then yes it would have taken a lot longer.

How'd it go??

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I was very nervous but got through it ok and just had a bad headache which has settled with paracetamol and a sore arm (which I get with the flu jab) so no allergic reaction or anything.

It is all a bit confusing for me at the moment.....

When you book the frist appointment you book the 2nd one as well - in April (so 3 months later). They told me today usually you would get the 2nd dose after 21 days but at the moment it is 28 days and I can't work until after the 2nd dose. I can't not work until April! They just said I would need to talk to my manager or HR dept. but I am self-employed so don't have that. So now I have to work out who I can talk to and see if I do need the 2nd dose in a month and not 3 months.

They also do not know how protected I am because of my reduced immune system (they just don't have the data on this at the moment).

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information