Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Convinced I have breast cancer, GP won't listen!

Re: Convinced I have breast cancer, GP won't listen!

I'm sorry to hear you've been through this too.

I've always had one breast bigger than the other and this is the armpit where I've noticed the "swelling" - when I put my arms down there's much more of a definite bulge on the right side. I also notice it when I put my arms up in the air and turn my head but nobody else seems to be able to see it?! I'm on the pill and the breast pain normally kicks in 2 weeks before my period but the pain is still present now I've started a new pack after my weeks break.

I've also noticed the pain is radiating around my shoulder, upper back and arm...

I'm just finding it so hard to believe that nothing's there... Even though 3 people (one being my GP) have checked my armpits and breasts for lumps.

'A bulge' does not mean anything, except extra tissue. Lymph nodes enlarged is easily feelable, easily, they are separate to a 'bulge' and a GP could tell if there was any problem with them at all. If the 'bulge' was from enlarged lymph nodes, they would be hugely and obviously enlarged and they couldn't be missed.

People aren't symmetrical, your GP is absolutely right to tell you this, so you have more fatty tissue on one side most likely.

I've also noticed the pain is radiating around my shoulder, upper back and arm...
    So, lets be honest this could be simply because you are constantly raising, checking, watching, poking, contorting to check all the time.

Danni that's how I noticed mine.

Honestly, first off I noticed a small almost swelling like area under my arm. I completely panicked to the point my best friends hubby who was a medic in the army took a look. He felt it and said it's fine, nothing at all. I then went to GP and had a full exam, fine, she checked all nodes and said it's just tissue and you have slightly more on that side to the other.

I didn't realise until that point that breast tissue extends up to under you arm!

As I've got older and put on weight, lost muscle tone it's got bigger but I think it's just because I'm fatter! Now it's really noticeable as it's much more evident on my right side to my left but if I feel it, then it does honestly just feels like skin and tissue.

I think this is a really common thing but to be honest most people wouldn't examine themselves in the detail we do and if they did, they'd get it checked out and accept the doctors opinion.

We really are our own worst enemies but you are describing exactly what I've had for about 25 years!

Please try not to worry, it really does sound like extra breast tissue.

Hugs

[QUOTE=Carys;1986370]Breast cancer 'scares' (a phrase I don't like actually) [QUOTE]

I don't like it either Carys - hence the 'scare'.

Thank you so much for your response!!!

Your story sounds 100% identical to mine! I'm sorry you've experienced these worries too.

In 2019 I managed to lose 2 1/2 stone. Unfortunately, due to lockdown and working from home for over a year I have managed to put most of it back on. :( It could potentially be that as the weight has crept back on, the tissue has just gotten larger. I do have large breasts (sorry if TMI) so that could also be a factor.

The only thing I can't seem to explain is the breast, armpit, shoulder and arm pain? It might be my HA causing the symptoms in my head (crazy how it does that), so my brain now thinks that entire area is "infected". I thought it was my period but the pain hasn't subsided...

Hugs x

[QUOTE][QUOTE=Carys;1986370]Breast cancer 'scares' (a phrase I don't like actually)

I don't like it either Carys - hence the 'scare'.
    I don't understand Nora, sorry ? I don't like the phrase because everyone uses it for times when they are worried they have something wrong, based on their own imagination. A 'scare' as a word indicates that there was a possibility they had bc, but that is not something they were ever told was possible. I know a couple of people who have told me they had bc 'scares' but were simply called back to have new mammo images as there weren't clear, a few more had scares when they 'found something' and were told immediately by a GP it was nothing. Its the terminology I question, as it is harmful to the thought processes. I am challenging the terminology used around testing as it is often loaded and makes the fear greater than it needs be, especially when the vast majority of referalls are for benign reasons. I know some people who were told it was highly likely they had BC, and luckily their biopsy against the odds proved they didnt - that is a scare, a close call. Thinking there is something wrong, when there isn't isnt a 'bc scare'.

The only thing I can't seem to explain is the breast, armpit, shoulder and arm pain? It might be my HA causing the symptoms in my head (crazy how it does that), so my brain now thinks that entire area is "infected".
    I explained this earlier to you Dani, in another post.

1. YOu are bothering the area, self testing, lifting you arm, contorting, since Xmas, that would cause muscles strain. YOu are probably doing a daily one-sided hard work out !

2. If you've put weight on, your bra and posture might not be good, if that side is larger, as that is a sidden weight gain you've had.

3. Even belief is enough to make aches and pains happen

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post

I don't understand Nora, sorry ? I don't like the phrase because everyone uses it for times when they are worried they have something wrong, based on their own imagination.
    Yeah, that's a reason why I don't like the phrase myself. 'Scare' is a powerful word with anxiety. It gives power to what's often nothing more than imagination.

I've been fast-tracked because of symptoms which fit with cancer (post-meno bleed in my case) and it turned out to be just one of those things but I don't like the phrase 'scare' even when it's more 'appropriate' because that's exactly what they're looking for. I don't want to be scared of cancer. I want to be in control, not scared.

I'm basically agreeing with you Carys, though I'm probably not explaining myself all that well...

Yeah, that's a reason why I don't like the phrase myself. 'Scare' is a powerful word with anxiety. It gives power to what's often nothing more than imagination.
    Oh you were agreeing, cool, I misunderstood. LOL I didn't need to write that long explanation LOLOL
    I don't want to be scared of cancer. I want to be in control, not scared.
    A woman after my heart, you are so right, thats exactly where I come from.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    A woman after my heart, you are so right, thats exactly where I come from.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information