My wife has been wanting a doggie for ages. We've had our Pixie Bob cat for 10 years. He's always been a social cat and a pretty chill dude but he's the been an 'only child' so to speak and definitely the king of the house. I've been reading about this scenario and the consensus seems to be to find an older dog that's just as chill and is familiar with cats.

So... we've been in contact with a few shelters, have applications in and are cleared to adopt. One of them contacted us with a dog they think would suit the bill. He's a senior, 11 year old terrier named Diesel. Cute little guy and only 14 pounds (Socrates is bigger than that at 17+ pounds). Turns out the owners had a baby and the dog was very jealous so they gave him up. He's fully trained, housebroken etc. and in excellent health. He's at a veterinary clinic about an hour from us and they said he's been pretty chill with the resident cats so that's a plus. We're just waiting to hear back to set up a time to meet him.

We think it would be awesome if things work out as both the doggie and our cat are seniors and would have a quiet loving home to spend the remainder of their lives which realistically is around 5-7 years. The key is going to be how Socrates reacts. It would be good for all involved and help get me off my rear to take him for walks and play etc. Keeping our fingers crossed.

Positive thoughts