Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at getting a doggie :)

Looking at getting a doggie :)

My wife has been wanting a doggie for ages. We've had our Pixie Bob cat for 10 years. He's always been a social cat and a pretty chill dude but he's the been an 'only child' so to speak and definitely the king of the house. I've been reading about this scenario and the consensus seems to be to find an older dog that's just as chill and is familiar with cats.

So... we've been in contact with a few shelters, have applications in and are cleared to adopt. One of them contacted us with a dog they think would suit the bill. He's a senior, 11 year old terrier named Diesel. Cute little guy and only 14 pounds (Socrates is bigger than that at 17+ pounds). Turns out the owners had a baby and the dog was very jealous so they gave him up. He's fully trained, housebroken etc. and in excellent health. He's at a veterinary clinic about an hour from us and they said he's been pretty chill with the resident cats so that's a plus. We're just waiting to hear back to set up a time to meet him.

We think it would be awesome if things work out as both the doggie and our cat are seniors and would have a quiet loving home to spend the remainder of their lives which realistically is around 5-7 years. The key is going to be how Socrates reacts. It would be good for all involved and help get me off my rear to take him for walks and play etc. Keeping our fingers crossed.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Re: Looking at getting a doggie :)

Retired greyhounds make great pets, just make sure they no longer have their prey drive. Most don’t.

Edit: Sorry, read that wrong. I see terrier now!

Yay for new fur-family members!! I hope it all works out for you. You’ll have to share pictures once he comes home!

Will do if we get him. He's going into foster this week and we'll be meeting him Feb. 13th and we're the first to meet him. Yeah, he's a terrier, Rat Terrier I believe. We wanted something small as our place isn't that big he should suit the bill. We'll see.....

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I have two rescues and one that we bought from a breeder. Honestly my two rescues are better behaved than the one with “stellar” bloodlines lol. I love them all, but my rescues have a special place in my heart for sure.

I've always had rescue dogs. I figure that they and I have a lot in common when it comes to emotional damage. I think it's a case that we 'rescue' each other..

I do hope we will get pics Fishmanpa?

My dream is to have one of those daft old wolfhounds but our house isn't very big and these things are bloody massive!

Maybe if I win the lottery?

Quote Originally Posted by glassgirlw View Post
    I have two rescues and one that we bought from a breeder. Honestly my two rescues are better behaved than the one with “stellar” bloodlines lol. I love them all, but my rescues have a special place in my heart for sure.
    Many of my friends have dogs, and I've noticed the same thing. The mixed breeds and mutts are a lot more stable! The pure breeds were bought for their behavioral breed characteristics, but they seem the most neurotic to me! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I've always had rescue dogs. I figure that they and I have a lot in common when it comes to emotional damage. I think it's a case that we 'rescue' each other..

I do hope we will get pics Fishmanpa?

My dream is to have one of those daft old wolfhounds but our house isn't very big and these things are bloody massive!

Maybe if I win the lottery?

OMG, someone in Michigan last night won the lottery here with a payout of some $700 million!

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    OMG, someone in Michigan last night won the lottery here with a payout of some $700 million!
    Jammy sods.

I think it's a wonderful idea FMP.

Two things to remember...

The dog you are meant to have will choose you.
    And time to adjust to the new household and pixie bobcat, especially the bobcat.

Let us know how you get on.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information