Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at getting a doggie :)

Re: Looking at getting a doggie :)

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    I love that picture!!!

I'm not surprised that she doesn't bark much. Lots of dogs who are raised only with cats, and there are no other dogs nearby for them to hear barking, will not bark as much as other dogs. As pack animals, they pick up on the cues of the alpha. If Socrates is the alpha, then she's going to follow his lead.
    Socrates is definitely the 'alpha'. He made that known once and she fell right in line. Thing is, she's been with other dogs in her foster home yet again, I've not heard her bark proper. I'm sure it will come though It's funny... she wants to be friendlier and Socrates has set limits for now. She whines and cries when he doesn't want to play. I have a feeling they will be buddy buddy in a month or two

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 08-05-21 at 21:44.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

We adopted Tasha at 4 months old. We 1st met her at a little over 3 months old and we applied for her when she was around 8 weeks old. Here's the pic of her that was on the rescue's website and I think it's pretty easy to see why we fell for her and applied

image6.jpg

What a cutie!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Socrates is definitely the 'alpha'. He made that known once and she fell right in line. Thing is, she's been with other dogs in her foster home yet again, I've not heard her bark proper. I'm sure it will come though It's funny... she wants to be friendlier and Socrates has set limits for now. She whines and cries when he doesn't want to play. I have a feeling they will be buddy buddy in a month or two

Positive thoughts
    Have you tried using the laser pointer with them? Or a ball that they can chase around on the floor? That might start them playing together.

Have you tried using the laser pointer with them? Or a ball that they can chase around on the floor? That might start them playing together.
    I haven't but they are warming up slowly but surely. The mornings are snuggle time and I have them both on the recliner with me. Opposite sides of my legs but they often are sniffing so it's getting there. Socrates has no issue being around her but when she gets the zoomies, he just gets out of the way and looks at her like she's crazy ~lol~

We're heading to the store today as she has outgrown her harness and she's on the last notch of her collar! She's growing fast!

Positive thoughts

We're heading to the store today as she has outgrown her harness and she's on the last notch of her collar! She's growing fast!
    We just weighed her. She's now at 26lbs! She was 18.4lbs a little over two weeks ago! She's visibly larger and obviously growing out of the original collar and harness. Just ordered new ones. According to an online size calculator, she'll end up being close to 50lbs full grown. Today, again, my wife took her out for her early morning walk and when she got back, she took the leash off and went to feed her. Instead of going straight to the food, she came up to the bedroom and I was awakened by excited puppy kisses and snuggles. I'm not a morning person at all but I can't get fussy with the way she loves on me

Positive thoughts

UPDATE: Tasha has been with us for three weeks. She'll be 5 months old next week. She's gone from 18.5lbs to over 26lbs and is still growing! Things are good with her and Socrates although she's gotten a little bolder in approaching him, he stands his ground and displays his alpha dominance and she backs off. She really just wants to play but Socrates wants no part of it. Otherwise, it's a peaceful co-existence.

This is the first dog I've had since my 20's and a puppy at that. While it certainly is a lot of work and like having a child in the house, the rewards are ten fold. She really is a sweet, loving and goofy girl and we've really come to love her. It's cool too... when we're walking her, so many people comment on how beautiful she is and ask about her heritage.

One thing we have to figure out is her eating. We've yet to find a food she really likes. I've had to buy canned food and mix it with the kibble to get her to eat sometimes and my wife has made rice and chicken (which she gobbles up!). We've tried two different foods so far and we'll go for a third this week. I think I'm going to try Hill's Science Diet this time around.

Positive thoughts

UPDATE: Tasha has been with us for three weeks. She'll be 5 months old next week. She's gone from 18.5lbs to over 26lbs and is still growing! Things are good with her and Socrates although she's gotten a little bolder in approaching him, he stands his ground and displays his alpha dominance and she backs off. She really just wants to play but Socrates wants no part of it. Otherwise, it's a peaceful co-existence.

This is the first dog I've had since my 20's and a puppy at that. While it certainly is a lot of work and like having a child in the house, the rewards are ten fold. She really is a sweet, loving and goofy girl and we've really come to love her. It's cool too... when we're walking her, so many people comment on how beautiful she is and ask about her heritage.

One thing we have to figure out is her eating. We've yet to find a food she really likes. I've had to buy canned food and mix it with the kibble to get her to eat sometimes and my wife has made rice and chicken (which she gobbles up!). We've tried two different foods so far and we'll go for a third this week. I think I'm going to try Hill's Science Diet this time around.

Positive thoughts
    Check out Nulo. It’s really healthy food.

Check out Nulo. It’s really healthy food.
    I looked it up and yeah, it's worth a try as we try to figure out what she'll readily eat. She's been doing better with the Whole Foods Chicken and Salmon kibble but Socrates likes it too ~lol~ It's not bad for him but he needs to stick to his Royal Canin Sensitive Digestion and raw chicken diet.

We have a few more days worth of the Whole Foods and we'll see how it goes. Otherwise, she really is doing great. I take her with me in the car when I'm dropping off my wife and running small errands and she does great. She lets us know when she has to go out (sits at the door and whines) and has no issues with the crate. We had our fence upgraded in the backyard from 4' to 6' and now, in addition to the privacy (and not having to look at the mess on either side of us), she has a place she can run wild and she certainly takes advantage of it! I just had her out and she did her business and had the zoomies for a bit. She's now fast asleep at my feet surrounded by all her toys (which she takes up and down the stairs every day ) Like I said, I really think fate had something to do with getting her and she's proving that point daily.

Positive thoughts

UPDATE! YAY! She likes Hills Science Diet (small bites). It's a chicken and barley kibble and the kibbles are smaller. She gets 2.5 cups a day split morning and night and has been cleaning her bowl. Thankfully, she's not inhaling it. She just finished her morning serving after her walk and she's passed out on her bed at my feet.

She's doing great and growing! She's 30lbs already and she just turned 5 months. I have a feeling she's going to be a large lady when all is said and done but we'll see.

Positive thoughts

Watch her poops with the science diet. Even though it's "vet recommended"...it's recommended because vets get kick-backs for selling it. It's no better than Iams or MeowMix or Friskies or any of the other "McDonalds" for pets LOL If you look at the ingredients, it's got a lot of by-product in them. If her poops get too runny, switch up to a healthier food.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread Information