Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at getting a doggie :)

Re: Looking at getting a doggie :)

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Watch her poops with the science diet. Even though it's "vet recommended"...it's recommended because vets get kick-backs for selling it. It's no better than Iams or MeowMix or Friskies or any of the other "McDonalds" for pets LOL If you look at the ingredients, it's got a lot of by-product in them. If her poops get too runny, switch up to a healthier food.
    Poopies have been fine. I did examine the ingredients and read a lot of reviews prior to trying and our vet recommended it as well.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

IMO, there are a lot of opinions around dog food and there are major drawbacks to the boutique brands too. If she does well on Science Diet, stick with it. My boy eats Purina ONE for joint health because he struggles with arthritis and he's super picky and won't eat just anything. I'm happy with it because he does well and vet says it's a good choice; also meets WSAVA guidelines.

She must be growing so fast! Puppies can be so exciting.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    If she does well on Science Diet, stick with it.....She must be growing so fast! Puppies can be so exciting.
    Yeah, so far so good and she seems to really like it too. Today is one month since we brought her home. She was 18.5lbs then and she hit 30lbs the other day. She's losing the 'puppy' look too and turning into a pretty young lady. Every time I have her out, people always stop and comment on how pretty and unique she is, asking what breed. She definitely has Aussie Cattle Dog markings but she's a 'supermutt' for sure. We just had her down to the dog park and she got her zoomies out playing with a few other dogs and playing fetch with sticks and is now totally passed out on her bed surrounded by all her toys!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Had a, shall we say, interesting day with Tasha yesterday. I took her to the dog park after I dropped my wife off at work and ran into a couple that had a male dog just around a year old. They were right behind us. Tasha kept looking back getting distracted so I stopped and let them catch up. He was a bigger guy, say around 50 pounds or so (the size Tasha will end up being). They greeted each other and right off they both wanted to play. So we walked to the doggie runs and went to the large dog area. (I had been taking her to the small dog area because she's a puppy). We get in, take them off the leash and off they went. Big time zoomies and having fun.

Then it happened. I had taken out my phone to record them playing and BAM! They both came running and crashed into the outside side of my left knee. I saw stars and hit the ground hard! That was some pain let me tell you! The couple came over to help and I sat there for a couple of minutes gathering myself. I was able to get up and walk over to a bench. I sat for a while, let the dogs play and then walked back to the car. It was really sore and felt a bit unstable at points. I came home, took some ibuprofen and immediately put ice on it. It hurt for sure but today? Uggghhh... really sore. Its just a little swollen in the medial area but I'm able to get around, albeit gingerly. I've been wearing an elastic brace and that helps. I think it's a sprain as it matches the symptoms so we'll see. I'm going to continue to ice it down and apply a prescription topical gel I have and give it a few more days. If it's still as bad as it is now in a couple of days, I'll call the doctor. Fun stuff eh?

Otherwise, things are going really well. It seems she's getting bigger by the day. Her and Socrates get along fine and we have a very peaceful co-existence. I've been working with her training and that's going well as she's an extremely smart doggie. The only thing is she's gets very easily distracted when we're outside and it's hard to get her to focus, even with a treat. She does 'stay' and 'come' when we're in the backyard but in the park when there are people around, it's a bit more challenging. We'll keep working on it and I think we'll sign up for training after she's spayed at the end of the month.

Positive thoughts

Yeah, FMP, I wouldn't have any more trips to the dog park w/o having her spayed first. Just because she's not in heat doesn't mean a male dog won't get some lovin'.

Hopefully your knee will get better in a few days. You may have twisted it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Yeah, FMP, I wouldn't have any more trips to the dog park w/o having her spayed first. Just because she's not in heat doesn't mean a male dog won't get some lovin'.

Hopefully your knee will get better in a few days. You may have twisted it a bit.
    I'm not concerned about a male dog. She's played with plenty of male dogs in the park and they're not looking for a shag. They just want to play too. The owners are there and we can corral them if need be. Besides, she's so darn fast and athletic that she runs circles around most of the doggies she plays with. They end up conking out panting and she's still raring to go ~lol~

Yeah... the knee is REALLY sore (and I'm not one to complain either). Like I said, I'll give it a few days, ice it, use the topical and take ibuprofen and we'll see.

Positive thoughts

Ooooowwwwwch! Poor you FMP. Dogs hitting knees at the wrong angle can do serious damage. Hope you feel better soon xxx

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2316 View Post
    Ooooowwwwwch! Poor you FMP. Dogs hitting knees at the wrong angle can do serious damage. Hope you feel better soon xxx
    Thanks JoJo.... So yeah...

FMP

Ouch your poor knee! Hope it’s better soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok... 5 days out and while it's still sore, it's definitely better. I think it's a torn meniscus based on where I got hit, where it hurts and the symptoms (clicks and pain with certain twisting movements, painful to the touch etc.). No swelling though and I'm able to walk around, bend and straighten it with no pain. Just have to take my time is all. I'll give it another week and see where I'm at. Just icing it regularly, wearing an elastic brace and taking ibuprofen.

Positive thoughts

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information