Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at getting a doggie :)

Re: Looking at getting a doggie :)

Only just saw this and it’s sad news indeed. But it sounds like you have made the right decision. Socrates is a senior chap and doesn’t need to endure being hunted- also I wonder if Diesel has some dominance issues? Hope he and you find the right fits soon. Keep us posted xx

So we take Diesel back next Saturday. It's the right thing to do as there's no way he will get along with Socrates and he's aggressive with other dogs and cats he sees. Typical Chihuahua personality in that he thinks he's 10X as big as he is but I'll tell ya... having had him for a couple of weeks he's really grown on me. He really is a sweet boy and his personality of quirky and funny. We've taught him to sit too! Gonna miss that little guy :( I truly hope they find a good home for him.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I'm sorry, FMP :\

So we took him back today. It sucked We could hear him barking (he has a very recognizable bark). He really is a sweet doggie but with his aggression toward cats we just couldn't keep him. He had someone coming to meet him today. Hopefully they'll adopt him. My wife is SO set on getting a dog and frankly, after this experience, I'm just not into it. I feel like I'm humoring her at this point. Unless it's a perfect fit, I'm just not going to go for it. We've discussed it and IF we do this, it will have to be a very young puppy that really doesn't know any better and Socrates can establish his dominance and teach him. For now, I told her to chill as she's been obsessed 24/7 in finding a doggie... UGH! Socrates seems to be thrilled that he's gone too. We took down the gate to the 2nd bedroom and he established himself again and he's been VERY chill since we came home. Thing is, he's our boy. He's been with us since he was a kitten and truly is the best furry friend I've ever had in my life. A truly unique cat and companion. He's literally curled up cuddling with me as I type this

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Awwww. Sounds for the best. And I think, often, cats do like to have their people to themselves. Has your wife had dogs before?

Oh I’m sorry FMP. You did the right thing in every way possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2316 View Post
    Awwww. Sounds for the best. And I think, often, cats do like to have their people to themselves. Has your wife had dogs before?
    Our boy is very social. When we have company, he's all about meeting them and hanging out. He was very curious about the dog but the doggie had a really strong predator instinct. I guess that was the terrier in him. Thing is, the rescue told us he was indifferent to cats and he definitely wasn't. I had dogs growing up as did my wife so it's not new having them around.

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    Oh I’m sorry FMP. You did the right thing in every way possible.
    I know... it just sucks as he's a senior (10 yo) and harder to adopt. I think he'd be great for an older couple without kids. He really was a sweet and affectionate boy and although he never was formally trained, he was smart. Heck, we taught him sit in less than 30 minutes! It was funny, by the time we took him back, if I grabbed the treat jar, he would come running and sit without me even having to say so ~lol~

We're going to chill a bit with the dog thing but still keep our eyes open. If we do this again, I think it's going to have to be a puppy that really doesn't know better and that way Socrates can help train him

Positive thoughts

Glad to see you're taking my advice about the puppy. I'm sure Diesel will find a home. It sounds like that rescue is on top of things. Yes, terriers usually like to chase anything smaller than they are. Typically Basset Hounds and Beagles do really well with cats, but they can be a pain in the ass because they like to follow their noses, so they much always be on a leash. Pugs and poodles typically get a long with cats really well too cause they weren't bred for a prey drive at all. Bunnies also do really well with cats, but if you've never had a bunny, there is a lot of reading you should do before getting one.

TC,
    Vee

Aww sorry Diesel didnt work out, hope the next dog will *hugs*
    Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
    Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
    Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Bunnies also do really well with cats, but if you've never had a bunny, there is a lot of reading you should do before getting one.
    My first wife and I had bunnies. French Lops. Thought we had two females until they got a little older, then it was obvious one was not ~lol~ We had him fixed and they were awesome. Our girl was a big one and came in at around 15 pounds. Our boy a little smaller. We got them as little babies and had both until they passed at around 8 years or so. They were litter trained and allowed to run loose when we were home. We had a pen from when we would go out. They were great pets and a lot like a cat.... loved to play and cuddle.

I wouldn't mind having one again but my wife is obsessed with the dog thing and if we could find the right one, it would be good all around. Even having Diesel for three weeks, as stressful as it was because he didn't get along with the cat, still showed the benefits. Heck, it got me off my rear a couple times a day as I'd walk around a nearby park for up to two miles a day. Heck, he was my age in dog years and it helped get the kinks out of our bones

Positive thoughts

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information