Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at getting a doggie :)

Re: Looking at getting a doggie :)

Some pics of Tasha including what I described in the last post.....

IMG_0601.jpgTasha5.jpgIMG_0619.jpg

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I wrote the rescue to update them on Tasha and she replied with some cool info. Tasha's sister Wiyota looks just like her and her owners did a DNA test. We'll eventually do one but I have to believe that Tasha's ancestry will be similar if not the same. In a nutshell, she's a supermutt with percentages of 7 different breeds. As I thought, she's mostly Australian Cattle dog (30%) and she has some Pittie, Chow Chow, Boxer, German Shepherd, Golden Retriever and Staffie in her.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

So usually I'm up around 6am every morning along with my wife. She does a long walk in the morning so she starts by taking Tasha out to do her business, brings her back and then does her 3-4 miles. Eventually Tasha will be doing that but she needs to build to it. Anyway, this morning, I slept in. My wife took Tasha out and when she came back she figured I needed an alarm clock and told Tasha to go get Daddy.... so I had a doggie alarm clock and had 20+ pounds of excited happy puppy wake me up. I'm definitely not a morning person but how could I not be overwhelmed with puppy love She was all over me smothering me with kisses and cuddles. I admit I wasn't 100% on board with getting a doggie, especially a puppy and it's only been a week, but she definitely has melted my heart.

Positive thoughts and puppy love

Aww love this thread. She is so sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    So usually I'm up around 6am every morning along with my wife. She does a long walk in the morning so she starts by taking Tasha out to do her business, brings her back and then does her 3-4 miles. Eventually Tasha will be doing that but she needs to build to it. Anyway, this morning, I slept in. My wife took Tasha out and when she came back she figured I needed an alarm clock and told Tasha to go get Daddy.... so I had a doggie alarm clock and had 20+ pounds of excited happy puppy wake me up. I'm definitely not a morning person but how could I not be overwhelmed with puppy love She was all over me smothering me with kisses and cuddles. I admit I wasn't 100% on board with getting a doggie, especially a puppy and it's only been a week, but she definitely has melted my heart.

Positive thoughts and puppy love

You're whipped now, FMP How is Socrates doing?

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    You're whipped now, FMP How is Socrates doing?
    Incredibly well actually (see the photo). They say it takes up to several weeks to introduce new pets but we've been well above the curve. It was smell first for a day (no negative reaction) then visual intros (more curiosity than anything). After a couple of days, I was in the 2nd bedroom with Tasha and Socrates was scratching on the door wanting to come in. At that point we figured, 'Let's give it a shot'. Since then, there have been several times in the last 4-5 days that he's walked up to her and they've touched noses. He's also been cuddling with me on my chair and she's been right up next to him on the floor at my feet. She went up to him last night while he was on the chair and licked his foot and he didn't flinch. Of course he has his 'I don't want to be bothered' moments and will go to another part of the house to chill but she's 100% non-aggressive and just wants to be friends. We even ended up putting their food in the same room (kitchen) on different sides and she doesn't mess with his food at all.

The first few days he was obviously stressed as he was shedding quite a bit but that's stopped and he's pretty chill now. Best case, they'll be snuggle buddies and worst case they'll be a peaceful co-existence. We did our shopping today and she was crated when we left. When we got home, Socrates was on the chair looking out the window so he was in the same room the whole time. He really seems to have taken things in stride. Right now he's with me cuddling and Tasha is upstairs sleeping in her bed next to my wife.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 02-05-21 at 18:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    My wife has been wanting a doggie for ages. We've had our Pixie Bob cat for 10 years. He's always been a social cat and a pretty chill dude but he's the been an 'only child' so to speak and definitely the king of the house. I've been reading about this scenario and the consensus seems to be to find an older dog that's just as chill and is familiar with cats.

So... we've been in contact with a few shelters, have applications in and are cleared to adopt. One of them contacted us with a dog they think would suit the bill. He's a senior, 11 year old terrier named Diesel. Cute little guy and only 14 pounds (Socrates is bigger than that at 17+ pounds). Turns out the owners had a baby and the dog was very jealous so they gave him up. He's fully trained, housebroken etc. and in excellent health. He's at a veterinary clinic about an hour from us and they said he's been pretty chill with the resident cats so that's a plus. We're just waiting to hear back to set up a time to meet him.

We think it would be awesome if things work out as both the doggie and our cat are seniors and would have a quiet loving home to spend the remainder of their lives which realistically is around 5-7 years. The key is going to be how Socrates reacts. It would be good for all involved and help get me off my rear to take him for walks and play etc. Keeping our fingers crossed.

Positive thoughts

I'm excited for you all! Yey!Good luck, fishmanpa! I know it'll be a great choice!

IMG_0622.jpg

UPDATE: Things are going great with Tasha! Socrates and her are getting along fine. Not cuddle buddies mind you, but a very peaceful co-existence and they're slowly but surely becoming friends. Tasha came to us knowing 'sit' and now she knows 'down', 'up', 'shake' and 'other paw'. She instinctively plays fetch and now knows 'leave it' so I can throw the toy again. We started working on 'stay' and 'come'. We need some work on walking outside as she's still very timid and gets distracted by all the sights, sounds and smells. We haven't had a potty incident since the 2nd day and she gives us signals when she needs to go out (a little whimper or she'll walk to the door and stand there) but we have a schedule anyway and it works.

Tomorrow will be two weeks and she has gained 4 pounds since April 22nd. We need to get her another harness and the collar we bought her has one more notch left! They say to double the size at 16 weeks and that will be a good estimate for her full grown size so she'll be between 40-50lbs and around over 25" at the shoulder.

Truly though, she is a very sweet doggie. Curiously, we haven't heard her actually bark yet! She does whine and bark when we crate her and we're going out but I've yet to hear anything other than a little 'woof' under her breath when she heard something outside. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough

Positive thoughts

Sounds like she picked you well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love that picture!!!

I'm not surprised that she doesn't bark much. Lots of dogs who are raised only with cats, and there are no other dogs nearby for them to hear barking, will not bark as much as other dogs. As pack animals, they pick up on the cues of the alpha. If Socrates is the alpha, then she's going to follow his lead.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information