Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at getting a doggie :)

Re: Looking at getting a doggie :)

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Where are the pics of Socrates?
    The boy....

IMG_0385.jpg

So... day three with Diesel. We've done visual introductions and while Socrates was curious and chilled, Diesel was definitely more on alert. We been doing visual introductions (through the child gate) and tonight we added giving them both treats to make it a positive experience. Definitely better. AND... using treats, we were able to get Diesel to 'sit' on command! He's definitely treat motivated We'll take our time and slowly get Diesel acclimated and hopefully in the next few weeks we'll see what happens.

Positive thoughts
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 17-02-21 at 23:30.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

LOL Socrates does not look happy that you were taking his picture!

So day 4... we've been allowing Diesel and Socrates to see each other through the gate for short periods of time. We're giving them both treats to try to make it a positive thing. Socrates is actually curious and has attempted to get close but Diesel is acting aggressive. I also found out Diesel does not like to be told "NO!". I had to tell him no last night, pointed my finger and sternly told him "NO!" and to go lay down and he snarled and went to nip at me The rescue told us that he basically ran the previous owner's house so this will definitely be different as my wife and I are the alpha's followed by Socrates. He starts obedience training next week so I hope he will learn to get along and listen to commands. The bottom line is that he has no choice. We'll work hard with him but getting along with Socrates is a must.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Diesel is so sweet! And Socrates is a lovely giant ball of fluff.

How old is Diesel? I’m interested in how you are going to establish your dominance, I hope he learns fairly quickly so that you can all be happy together.

I have lived with 4 rescue dogs growing up, but due to my allergies I don’t own my own. I do miss having a pet though. Our tropical fish just aren’t very snuggly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    How old is Diesel? I’m interested in how you are going to establish your dominance
    Diesel is 10 (as is Socrates). We're signed up for obedience classes and start next weekend. I hope it's a learning experience for all of us. He really is a sweet dog but he definitely has Chihuahua personality in him.

Positive thoughts

Sounds like poor Diesel is going to have to learn all about being bottom of the heap after a lifetime of being top dog!

Well.... Sadly, I have to report that things are not going to work out. We've been following the recommendations for introducing a dog to a cat. The first two days were no visuals, just smelling under the door and having blankets with each others scent. We started short visual intros last Tuesday and while Socrates was curious and chill, Diesel was too attentive and borderline aggressive.

This morning we were doing a short visual (supervised of course). Pretty much the same. Socrates wanted to come up to the gate but Diesel was having none of it and yipped at him. Socrates backed off and went toward our bedroom. At that moment Diesel literally exploded against the gate knocking it down and chasing after Socrates. I was able to grab him in our bedroom and he was very aggressive trying to bite me. Socrates was freaked out as you might expect and spent the next two hours hiding under our bed. I tried to console him but he hissed and retreated further. He finally came out a little while ago but it's obvious he's a bit traumatized. Nope.... it's not going to work. Diesel needs a home without a cat!

We called the rescue and will be returning him within the next two weeks. In the mean time, we have to keep him isolated in the 2nd bedroom. It's a shame as otherwise, he's really a sweet doggie :(

Positive thoughts

I'm sorry to hear this, FMP. For some older pets, it's really hard for them to adapt to having new species or even any new animal in the house. You might want to ask the rescue if any of the dogs available used to live with cats. Otherwise, consider getting a puppy. Puppies are more work, but Socrates can help raise the puppy to his satisfaction.

I used to foster cats, but I can't anymore because the last cat I adopted is too territorial (even though he's neutered). He wants to fight any new cats that come into "his" house, even if they are injured or are babies.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    I'm sorry to hear this, FMP. For some older pets, it's really hard for them to adapt to having new species or even any new animal in the house. You might want to ask the rescue if any of the dogs available used to live with cats. Otherwise, consider getting a puppy. Puppies are more work, but Socrates can help raise the puppy to his satisfaction.

I used to foster cats, but I can't anymore because the last cat I adopted is too territorial (even though he's neutered). He wants to fight any new cats that come into "his" house, even if they are injured or are babies.
    The rescue knew we had a cat and we were looking for cat friendly. They told us he was Ok with cats and ignored the kittens they had in foster at their home. We experienced the complete opposite. It happened so darn fast too! It was like BAM and he was off after Socrates. But like I said, other than that, he really is a sweet little doggie. It's just not going to work.

Positive thoughts

Yeah, unfortunately most animals ignore kittens because they're just too young to trigger. It's never a full indicator of whether an animal is going to do well with cats. Kitten have not developed the body language and territorial instincts of full-grown cats.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information