Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at getting a doggie :)

Re: Looking at getting a doggie :)

I'm so very sorry, FMP, it must be really hard for you.

When I was a kid, we got a puppy when we already had an older cat. It worked beautifully; to be fair, the cat was pretty sassy anyway but she basically knocked the daylights out of the pup any time she (the pup) overstepped any of her wide range of boundaries.

If any of the human family members got between us and the dog's food bowl, we'd get growled at. If the cat wanted to inspect it? Yeah, the dog would step aside.

So... after discussing it and as I've posted, we've decided to take the plunge and get a female puppy. We feel it would be better all around as our Pixie Bob cat would certainly teach her respect if she got out of line. We're heading out Saturday to look at a litter of shepherd/border collie mix pups. We'll see....

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 18-03-21 at 18:45.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Just remember, those dogs like to herd. Make sure you teach her to "leave it" early and not to nip at your heels from day 1. Otherwise, she will try to herd you all and Socrates around the house.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Just remember, those dogs like to herd. Make sure you teach her to "leave it" early and not to nip at your heels from day 1. Otherwise, she will try to herd you all and Socrates around the house.
    Appreciate it AV... Whatever pup we end up getting, we plan on taking her for obedience training. It's been a while since either of us have had a dog and we'll all need to learn some things

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    So... after discussing it and as I've posted, we've decided to take the plunge and get a female puppy. We feel it would be better all around as our Pixie Bob cat would certainly teach her respect if she got out of line. We're heading out Saturday to look at a litter of shepherd/border collie mix pups. We'll see....

Positive thoughts
    Wow that is great! Got a mix of Pekingnese and Shitzu female dog. Feel so delighted

Enjoy your pup

ooh hope pup works out <3
    Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
    Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
    Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)

So we went to a meet and greet from one of the rescues we applied to. This rescue specializes in Shepherds/shepherd mixes. They had several adults and there were two pups that looked like they had hound or border collie in them. They were both girls and sweet as all get out! The smaller of the two looked more like a shepherd and the other was larger and had border collie markings. They were 11 weeks old. The pup we applied for was born on March 6 so they have a little while before they can be adopted out. She has that border collie type markings.

We got the scoop on how they work and basically, once the app is approved, you get a case worker that personally communicates with you and helps you find the perfect pup. It typically takes 3+ weeks to get everything set up so that coincides with that litter of pups we applied for and we were told there are 3 other litters due in the next few weeks. I really liked the way they have things set up and they flat out told us if we have a cat, they will make sure they're fostered in a home with cats and they will be thoroughly cat tested.

As far as Socrates? Just based on how he reacted to Diesel, I don't think we'll have any issues. Besides, he'll be the alpha and make sure the pup stays in line So... the process continues.

Positive thoughts

Good to hear, FMP!!

So... we had a phone interview and we just got an email stating they'll be contacting us for an in home visit. If we get through that, we'll be assigned a case worker that will help us find the perfect pup.

Positive thoughts

I was gonna tell you to adopt this one, FMP, but it looks like he already found a home!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/27/us/do...rnd/index.html

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread Information