Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Riot fears

Riot fears

I have just heard an article on the news this evening (my dad was watching it) about a Black teenage boy being murdered by a gang of youths in the Handsworth area of Birmingham today, and my instant thought was 'does this spell the umpteenth riot in the area, and possibly elsewhere?', especially with recent events in the USA and of course last year's BLM protests worldwide still fresh in people's memories.

I also dread the thought of riots breaking out in Burton on Trent, especially near my day centre, as that particular area has a sizable Asian population, though I've never sensed any obvious tensions there so far.

Of course I also dread the thought of major disturbances occuring in my town (Tamworth), but we don't have a large BAME population here despite being in closer proximity to Birmingham, and of course Tamworth was one of the key overspill destinations for families from the W Mids conurbation in the 60s and 70s, plus we were one of three Staffordshire towns labelled a 'chav' town back in the mid-2000s (the other two being Cannock and, believe it or not, Burton), though our reputation as such a town has generally lessened over recent years, and it was probably just another moral panic blown out of proportion by the media at the time, in a similar sense to Nottingham and its 'Shottingham' label back in the 90s and early 2000s.

That was one of the main reasons why I was previously hesitant in stating where I live on here, for fear of 'town-bashing', but it's never been a full-on 'problem' town though, and we do have a great castle here, and it is a mostly caring community, despite what I said above.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 22-01-21 at 20:04.

Re: Riot fears

I just think of piggies and Reliant cars when anyone mentions Tamworth

Oh, and the high/low level railway station.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I just think of piggies and Reliant cars when anyone mentions Tamworth

Oh, and the high/low level railway station.
    Yes, forgot about the Tammie pigs and Reliants.

On the other hand, I bet had that Birmingham murder today instead happened in, say, Burton, the media attention would probably have been kept lower-key, unless it was mega serious (e.g, terror-related), of course.

Well, so far so good.

I know I probably shouldn't be reading it, but there are forum members on Digital Spy right now speculating that riots are inevitable in the UK in the not too distant future, due to people in the Netherlands and Israel rioting against their latest lockdown measures, plus one of them said that in pretty much every decade, riots seem to happen in this country during years ending with the digit '1', which is true, and no doubt by sheer coincidence, though they have been known to occur in years ending with other digits too.

Hope it won't be a 'monkey see, monkey do' situation.

BTW, those posts from people pre-empting imminent riots in this country were posted on a thread speculating about the possibilities of the current UK lockdowns lasting right into July, which so far there have been no suggestions from the govt nor the MSM that they might.

Don't forget asteroids due to hit the earth in certain months. They really are reaching.

I think you need to be wary of the impacts of media on you, LB. Civil unrest happens and there are social & economic tensions that could see it happening now but will it even touch you? Do you live in one of those places?

Please try to retain your logical, rational side over this. You have lots of that in you. Because this used to be a trigger for me too and I learned to dismiss it without avoiding the news. If it's too much a break may be needed but long term being able to read it and dismiss whether it's relevant to you as an individual will mean you can still stay involved without the emotional upset.

Oh, and DS can be a mad place. The Politics board on there is just dripping hatred.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Don't forget asteroids due to hit the earth in certain months. They really are reaching.

I think you need to be wary of the impacts of media on you, LB. Civil unrest happens and there are social & economic tensions that could see it happening now but will it even touch you? Do you live in one of those places?

Please try to retain your logical, rational side over this. You have lots of that in you. Because this used to be a trigger for me too and I learned to dismiss it without avoiding the news. If it's too much a break may be needed but long term being able to read it and dismiss whether it's relevant to you as an individual will mean you can still stay involved without the emotional upset.

Oh, and DS can be a mad place. The Politics board on there is just dripping hatred.
    It's more this 'virtue signalling' culture that seems so endemic nowadays, where people feel compelled to jump on the latest bandwagon, especially thanks to the advent of social media.

I mean, look at what happened last year with the panic-buying of toilet rolls in the run-up to the first lockdown, (whose craze allegedly originated from Australia), the tearing down of statues (fuelled by events across the pond), the burning down of 5G masts (due to misinformation and CTs online), plus several other irrational crazes/fads that have abounded over recent years.

Personally I think smashing up and pilfering shops, burning down buildings, etc, in this country would be a total waste of time, especially as virtually nothing positive was gained from it nearly ten years ago when our major cities last went up in flames.

It only causes even more angst, hate and division within our society in the long run, for no real long-term gain IMO.

And whilst all past bouts of widespread rioting in this country have thankfully passed my area by (and Burton), nothing can ever be ruled out in the future, especially as nearly everything seems to be led by what's trending on social media these days.

Just because many Dutch cities are up in flames right now doesn't automatically mean ours should also end up the same.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 27-01-21 at 02:45.

Call me morbid (better word for this in this context PM?), but I'd love to see a riot in my life time. I wouldn't get involved though. They'd all eventually get jail.

Talking of which I was in jail with a lad involved in the London riots. Remember those? He got 6 years for looting and some violence. He was cookoo. Off his head. You know those people that are constantly running on adrenaline and are constantly in a hyperactive state? That was him. He was a good lad though, he let me borrow his Playstation numerous times in return for a few roll-ups.

Going off track here but I think there's some good in everybody.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Strange how many people refer to the August 2011 riots as simply the 'London' riots. Yes I know they first started in London, but they did rapidly spread to most other major cities across England, plus obviously demonstrates the prevailing 'London-centricity' of the mass media in general!

Oddly (and fortunately), said disturbances seemed to happen in England only and passed both Scotland and Wales by IIRC.

At least both the BBC and Sky News now seem to have gone quiet over the situation in the Netherlands. Perhaps the disturbances there might now be petering out?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information