Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Riot fears

Re: Riot fears

Now they're saying that another round of Kill The Bill protests have been planned tomorrow in various cities across the country. I wonder how long before BLM, XR and the EDL all start joining in the rucks?

What's more, there's been another teenager gunned down by plod over in the USA this week (Chicago I think).

I can sense a self-fulfilling prophecy amongst the yoof of this country and I'm really dreading the thought of the UK being ravaged by riots and possibly even terrorist attacks this summer!

I can just imagine a re-worked version of the late 80s hip-hop golden oldie 'F*** The Police' topping the singles charts this summer, 2021's answer to The Specials' 1981 hit 'Ghost Town'!

Well so far there's been no signs of any aggro of any sort in my area today.

Just seen the BLM protesters gathering en masse in Minneapolis on the BBC News this evening, in conjunction with the Derek Chauvin court case, and Minneapolis looks like a garrison right now, with the National Guard patrolling the streets.

I really hope things don't start kicking off here in the UK over the coming days as there are already tensions in the air following the recent Kill The Bill protests, the ongoing volatile situation in NI and now mounting tensions over this European football thing, which people are already desperately seeking to politicise.

Seems like one big issue after another!

You're right - things just keep getting worse. Anarchy is taking over!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Just seen the BLM protesters gathering en masse in Minneapolis on the BBC News this evening, in conjunction with the Derek Chauvin court case, and Minneapolis looks like a garrison right now, with the National Guard patrolling the streets.

I really hope things don't start kicking off here in the UK over the coming days as there are already tensions in the air following the recent Kill The Bill protests, the ongoing volatile situation in NI and now mounting tensions over this European football thing, which people are already desperately seeking to politicise.

Seems like one big issue after another!
    But has it continued here? It all seems to have fizzled out unlike in the US where it's a massive issue.

But that's the thing - Britain is very much an American ally - where they go, we'll go.

Had two bad nightmares last night about riotous events.

The first was about being at a live show at the Genting Arena at the NEC in Birmingham, there was a power failure with the stage lighting and the arena suddenly erupted into a full-blown riot with audience members wielding machetes and the like, and me and my dad legged it into a disabled toilet together and hid.

The second was about me and my dad being present at some kind of youth training facility somewhere in Birmingham, where the students were violent and aggressive, and all were carrying machetes and then ended up holding us hostage in the premises while they brawled and trashed the place.

The latter dream was probably triggered by me watching an early-ish episode of Brookside from early 1984 on YouTube the other day where Paul Collins was working at a YTS centre in Liverpool, where he was unduly harsh towards one of the students there over his allegedly shoddy work, and when said student got lippy when confronted, Paul Collins had him in his office for a reprimand, then all the other students downed tools in protest at PC's harsh treatment of that one particular student, whom he seemed to have the hump with and singled out.

Feeling really shaky this morning after those dreams and keep ruminating in the prospects of militant youths dominating the headlines, which seemed to be commonplace from the late 70s through the mid 80s in particular.

Just read an article on the BBC website about a major disturbance in Swansea, Wales yesterday evening. Not said to be race-related but more to do with gangs of yobs in the area and a wave of ASB in general, and was allegedly triggered by a vigil for a person in said area who died recently.

Once again, let's hope this doesn't spread to England (and/or Scotland) and isn't gonna be August 2011 all over again!

Just realised with horror that we're now approaching the tenth anniversary of the August 2011 riots, and I'm kind of dreading the thought of the dregs of our society attempting to ape what went on in our major cities back then, especially as many of the social problems in many of the affected areas have unfortunately remained unresolved since then.

But at least Bozzer and Co can't play the blame game on New Labour and their (then) much-fabled 'Broken Britain' this time round if (heaven forbid) it all kicks off again!

Of course, next month will be the twentieth anniversary of 9/11, of which I'm also kind of dreading.

Why would anyone riot now, about something that happened 10 and 20 years ago? People don't just riot, it's an unbelievably rare occurrence over here.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information