Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Riot fears

Re: Riot fears

Whilst I'm not necessarily fearing the prospects of any riots breaking out in this country right now, I just saw an article in the England section of the BBC website about the 30th anniversary of the Meadow Well riots in the NE of England on 9/9/91.

I saw photos taken at the time of buildings in said area plastered in graffiti, whose tags were proper words and names unlike the largely undecipherable tags typical of today.

Earlier this year, an area of Swansea, Wales went up in flames, likely due to similar underlying issues.

The disturbances in Handsworth, Birmingham 6 years earlier in 1985 were also during the 9th-11th September, plus there were similar disturbances there the previous week in September 1991, though obviously less remembered than the aforementioned 1985 disturbances.

Best not to read articles online which you know will trigger your anxiety, Lenco?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Best not to read articles online which you know will trigger your anxiety, Lenco?
    Yes I know Pulisa. I made a right wally of myself for daring to do so!

You have to make "rules" for yourself and really decide that you are not going to risk self-sabotaging your anxiety management by seeking out these triggering accounts online?

Before reading anything. Ask yourself if doing so will 'harm or help' you.

The news, in general, comes under 'harm' for people who have anxiety & triggering issues..

The news is about drama and sensationalism because that shit sells. Rarely do we get good news, and when we do it's right at the bottom - underneath all the scaremongering, anxiety triggering fodder, and of course those Z list celebrities (famous only for who they've shagged) doing power lunges in the street wearing skimpy shorts and no bra.

I don't know about NT's but this autistic is naturally drawn to crap that triggers me so I often need a visual reminder (Post-It notes) - or a prompt from my lovely friend Pulisa to remind me to look after my own MH on here. She's looking out for you too Lenco and it's good advice...

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Before reading anything. Ask yourself if doing so will 'harm or help' you.

The news, in general, comes under 'harm' for people who have anxiety & triggering issues..

The news is about drama and sensationalism because that shit sells. Rarely do we get good news, and when we do it's right at the bottom - underneath all the scaremongering, anxiety triggering fodder, and of course those Z list celebrities (famous only for who they've shagged) doing power lunges in the street wearing skimpy shorts and no bra.

I don't know about NT's but this autistic is naturally drawn to crap that triggers me so I often need a visual reminder (Post-It notes) - or a prompt from my lovely friend Pulisa to remind me to look after my own MH on here. She's looking out for you too Lenco and it's good advice...
    On the plus side, yesterday's retrospective article about Meadow Well, 30 years on, was probably some form of consolation to those who constantly harp on about 'kids today' having no respect, and that 'feral youth', 'Broken Britain', and all the other hyperbole and moral panics that have abounded over the past 20 years or so aren't exactly exclusive to 21st Century Britain.

Though not a riot per se, there was an incident in Liverpool yesterday involving a taxi explosion outside a hospital, and three men have been arrested on suspicion of terror-related offences.

However, the COP 26 events in Glasgow passed mostly peacefully without any full-on riots or terrorist attacks, despite the much-publicised protests, of which were mostly peaceful and 'carnival'--like, thank god.

In fact, there were reports of even fewer arrests and far less intense violent episodes at COP 26 in Glasgow 2021 than at the G8 Summit in Edinburgh back in 2005, most ironically just days before the 7/7 attacks in central London.

Some kind of ironic coincidence that both events were followed by terror-related events elsewhere that at the same time were not (knowingly) linked in any way to either summit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Though not a riot per se, there was an incident in Liverpool yesterday involving a taxi explosion outside a hospital, and three men have been arrested on suspicion of terror-related offences.

However, the COP 26 events in Glasgow passed mostly peacefully without any full-on riots or terrorist attacks, despite the much-publicised protests, of which were mostly peaceful and 'carnival'--like, thank god.

In fact, there were reports of even fewer arrests and far less intense violent episodes at COP 26 in Glasgow 2021 than at the G8 Summit in Edinburgh back in 2005, most ironically just days before the 7/7 attacks in central London.

Some kind of ironic coincidence that both events were followed by terror-related events elsewhere that at the same time were not (knowingly) linked in any way to either summit.
    I'm still intending to attend my day centre via train as per usual tomorrow and on Thursday, as the chances of being run over by a bus are far greater than getting caught up in a terror-related incident, a riot, or getting mugged or beaten up at random for no apparent reason.

Let's face it, neither Tamworth nor Burton are hotbeds for terrorism, rioting, gang warfare, etc, at least not in the normal scheme of things.

Also yesterday's Liverpool incident, as tragic as it is, will probably be water under the bridge by this time next week and the news will have probably moved on by then, just like the murder of that MP in Essex a few weeks ago.

Following reports of aggro in Leicester over last weekend involving certain certain factions of Muslims and (I think) Hindus, I'm paranoid about the thought of 'copycat' incidents occurring in Burton amongst its own respective Asian community, plus Burton isn't a million miles away from the city of Leicester and may have certain links with said city.

However the BBC generally appear to have kept last weekend's disturbances in Leicester fairly low-key, compared to the infamous events of August 2011 (in which Leicester of course was among one of the many English cities affected by those ghastly atrocities that week), which I personally think was probably a wise move, coupled with the fact that the run-up to the Queen's funeral was (obviously) the foremost headline at the time.

But I just hope and pray that Burton doesn't suddenly become 'Bandit Country' over the coming days, especially the area close to my day centre, which is just on the edge of the main Asian community.

But I doubt anything will happen in Tamworth though, as we don't seem to have any Asian (or Black) communities, despite us being in closer proximity to Birmingham and the wider West Midlands conurbation.

Plus I'm NOT a racist either.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Following reports of aggro in Leicester over last weekend involving certain certain factions of Muslims and (I think) Hindus, I'm paranoid about the thought of 'copycat' incidents occurring in Burton amongst its own respective Asian community, plus Burton isn't a million miles away from the city of Leicester and may have certain links with said city.

However the BBC generally appear to have kept last weekend's disturbances in Leicester fairly low-key, compared to the infamous events of August 2011 (in which Leicester of course was among one of the many English cities affected by those ghastly atrocities that week), which I personally think was probably a wise move, coupled with the fact that the run-up to the Queen's funeral was (obviously) the foremost headline at the time.

But I just hope and pray that Burton doesn't suddenly become 'Bandit Country' over the coming days, especially the area close to my day centre, which is just on the edge of the main Asian community.

But I doubt anything will happen in Tamworth though, as we don't seem to have any Asian (or Black) communities, despite us being in closer proximity to Birmingham and the wider West Midlands conurbation.

Plus I'm NOT a racist either.
    Well nothing has happened in Burton (nor anywhere else outside of Leicester AFAIK), and I had a chat with the manager at my day centre this morning about my concerns, and she reassured me that Burton's Asian population aren't of the 'extremist' types (who revel in rioting and/or terrorism), at least not as far as she is currently aware.

Once again I reiterate that I am not prejudiced towards all Asians, as there are a couple of Asian clients who attend my day centre who are lovely people who I really get on well with and often dread the thought of them ever being harassed by out-and-out racists in the community.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information