Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Riot fears

Re: Riot fears

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Strange how many people refer to the August 2011 riots as simply the 'London' riots. Yes I know they first started in London, but they did rapidly spread to most other major cities across England, plus obviously demonstrates the prevailing 'London-centricity' of the mass media in general!

Oddly (and fortunately), said disturbances seemed to happen in England only and passed both Scotland and Wales by IIRC.

At least both the BBC and Sky News now seem to have gone quiet over the situation in the Netherlands. Perhaps the disturbances there might now be petering out?
    I think its more so to not give people in the UK any ideas. Media over here has a non-functioning protocol where they cause fear when it's not warranted, and hide it when it is.

The only reason I called them "London Riots" is because it went south down there quickly. There was a riot in my town at the time but it lasted about 5 minutes before police shut it down if I recall. It was Blackberry Messenger and the large population of London degenerates that were the biggest problems. London is like Dubai, outside the city it's surrounded by s***.

What's your first image of those times? Mine is the burning furniture store.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I think its more so to not give people in the UK any ideas. Media over here has a non-functioning protocol where they cause fear when it's not warranted, and hide it when it is.

The only reason I called them "London Riots" is because it went south down there quickly. There was a riot in my town at the time but it lasted about 5 minutes before police shut it down if I recall. It was Blackberry Messenger and the large population of London degenerates that were the biggest problems. London is like Dubai, outside the city it's surrounded by s***.

What's your first image of those times? Mine is the burning furniture store.
    In answer to your first paragraph, you're probably correct in the sense that the media are probably erring on the side of caution by only reporting on the situation in the Netherlands when and where absolutely necessary (if it's still going on of course), and not to unnecessarily overdo it, perhaps a lesson learned from the events of August 2011 (and rightly so IMO).Same also goes for terror-related incidents.

In answer to your last paragraph, I don't specifically recall any 'first' images of that week of sheer terror in this country, though I do vaguely remember my dad watching something on the TV in the evening of 8th August back then (when it was all kicking off in Birmingham and Wolverhampton), which I think was discussing failures of race relations in this country, or something along those lines.

At one point on the following evening (9th August) there were Chinese whispers doing the rounds about problems at the retail park in Tamworth, Staffs (where I live), which fortunately happened to be a false alarm, though our town centre was placed in full lockdown by our local law as a precautionary measure, though again, thankfully nothing actually happened.

Nevertheless, I was still quaking in my boots and felt physically sick the whole time, and seeing the front of the Bullring in Birmingham city centre desecrated by said atrocities, it was like the 1974 Pub Bombings all over again, which occured literally yards from the same site. No doubt a real sense of deja vu for many older Brummies/West Midlanders at the time!

BTW (if you don't mind me asking), what town were you living in at that time? Especially as you mentioned the 'riot' that occurred there only lasted about 5 minutes.

After the 'Kill The Bill' trouble in Bristol again last night, I'm dreading the thought of any disturbances rapidly spreading to other cities and towns, especially my town (Tamworth) and Burton on Trent, where my day centre is, and will be attending tomorrow (Thursday) by train.

Last summer there were BLM demos in both towns (and pretty much every town and city the country and world over), but they were generally peaceful demos, but there already seems to be fears of a potential 'summer of rage' this year, where the slightest thing might trigger people into letting rip.

I recall there being reports of similar fears of possible widespread summer disturbances back in early 2009 at the height of the GFC, which did not actually materialise until August 2011, ironically by which time we seemed to be over the worst of the GFC.

I've just replied on your other thread in "Misc" and hadn't seen your post on here.

Do you have anyone you can talk to about your anxiety? I'd advise staying away from the news and online forums discussing this topic because it's so triggering for you. Do you have anyone at your Day Centre who you trust and who you could talk to?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I've just replied on your other thread in "Misc" and hadn't seen your post on here.

Do you have anyone you can talk to about your anxiety? I'd advise staying away from the news and online forums discussing this topic because it's so triggering for you. Do you have anyone at your Day Centre who you trust and who you could talk to?
    It would be difficult to have chats in private with staff members at my day centre right now obviously because of the Covid situation and the need for them to keep an eye on everyone, plus my dad is already at his wits end with my mom whose dementia is worsening daily and still refuses point blank to have any carers come into the house until this pandemic starts to ease, despite all three of us having had our first jabs 5-7 weeks ago.

Whilst Tamworth (my town of residence) and Burton on Trent (where my day centre is) are probably less significant to the likes of rioters, terrorists, etc, compared to the big cities, the train that I travel on travels to and from several big cities that could be potential targets for trouble.

For instance, the line north-bound of Burton has the cities of Derby and Nottingham, and the same line south-bound of Tamworth has the cities of Birmingham, Worcester, and eventually Bristol itself.

But then again (to put the current situation in perspective), any other time, I guess I could encounter, say, a mob of football hooligans on the train and I'm probably more likely to get mowed down by a bus or truck (or witness it happening to someone else) whilst walking from Burton train station to my day centre than encounter baying mobs of 'KTB' protesters.

And I don't live in constant fear of big hulking vehicles.

I am now constantly ruminating on the disturbances in NI, and dreading the thought of 'copycat' riots breaking out here in England, especially as there is already an air of tension here with the Kill The Bill protests plus punch-ups in various city parks, etc.

The latest article on the BBC website about the NI riots now suggests that the young hooligans involved in the aggro have allegedly been indoctrinated by older adult 'extremists' with (historical) elements/influences of 'The Troubles' involved.

I know said disturbances are more geographically specific, but there does seem to be certain factions here in mainland Britain right now who are no doubt spoiling for full-on riots purely for the sake of it and might use these latest events in NI as the latest in a long line of potential 'triggers'.

It really does seem like NI's 'August 2011' moment right now, almost 10 years later!

Lenco, this is the anxiety talking. The events in NI can happen anytime as it will generations to move on. It's specific to NI and won't spill over to here. Loyalists are unhappy with the sea border, NIP, etc. Their riots will also be worse given where it comes from.

I can't help wondering if KTB was dreamed up with a different meaning? A slant on defunding them.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Lenco, this is the anxiety talking. The events in NI can happen anytime as it will generations to move on. It's specific to NI and won't spill over to here. Loyalists are unhappy with the sea border, NIP, etc. Their riots will also be worse given where it comes from.

I can't help wondering if KTB was dreamed up with a different meaning? A slant on defunding them.
    It's a nonsense; you can't "defund" the police in the UK like you can in the US. The issue with the bill in question is that it all but removes the right to protest in any way, shape or form; even being "a bit noisy" could see you in strife. It is a badly conceived bill, giving this current government extraordinarily far-reaching and authoritarian powers that are all too easy for an unpopular government to exploit and suppress dissent.

The NI riots are specifically an NI issue, but nothing that those of us opposed to Brexit couldn't see coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    It's a nonsense; you can't "defund" the police in the UK like you can in the US. The issue with the bill in question is that it all but removes the right to protest in any way, shape or form; even being "a bit noisy" could see you in strife. It is a badly conceived bill, giving this current government extraordinarily far-reaching and authoritarian powers that are all too easy for an unpopular government to exploit and suppress dissent.

The NI riots are specifically an NI issue, but nothing that those of us opposed to Brexit couldn't see coming.
    Many who voted for Brexit saw it coming too, some cared some didn't, just as many who voted Remain didn't do so for NI either. Forget Brexit, any attempt at a united Ireland was always going to bring it. And forget that as well because these riots have been going on simply because of the differences that didn't go away just because a bit of paper gets signed.

It was always going to be a very difficult change.

United Ireland will just shift the problem to ROI but I expect it to come at some point. I don't think the threat of loyalist violence will stop that but I don't think it should be prevented because of it either.

Not sure I can entirely agree, Terry; far too many people on the Brexit side were far too concerned about Johnny Foreigner coming in, that their towns were being overrun by Schrödinger's Immigrants simultaneously nicking all their jobs whilst living off all the benefits and getting free houses and 100" plasma TVs, believing Stanley McMurtry's disgusting cartoon in the Mail with the rats pouring in, Farage's rip-off Nazi poster and they just thought the Irish would just fall into line, if they thought about Ireland at all. I believe one or two headbanger Tories said as much!

I could see this coming a mile off; I knew it had the potential to screw up the GFA. Here's hoping we don't suddenly find things going bang on the mainland again. I remember being rather scared of the bombing campaigns on the mainland back in the 70s and 80s - I even got evacuated from a building I was working in after a coded warning back then. Mate of mine heard the bang at Canary Wharf from his house in Bromley...

However; to address Lenco's fears, such unrest becoming widespread is, as far as I can see, without foundation. He can sleep soundly in his bed, I don't think they'll be chucking half-bricks at coppers in Tamworth.

Ever.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information