Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Riot fears

Re: Riot fears

I don't think NI was thought about much by anyone but I also think that says more about how it feels as much connected to us as places like Gibraltar. Even less care about them. Remain or Leave it wasn't a big seller like trade, immigration, economy, liberty, etc.

Some knew just as some voting Remain didn't. I just thought it was all forgotten, it's over the water do not about us. I can't remember seeing NI politicians constantly warning us not to play with this fire but I bet that dominated on their side.

But at some point loyalists are going to start up unless generations breed out the hatred over there. Brexit is just one of the events that could cause it. However why should everyone be held to ransom unable to change because of terrorists? Live in status quo out of fear? That's also wrong. It would mean they daren't trigger the border poll and I think that's their right.

I think your point is very fair. How much time did I invest in thinking about it when I was swinging back & forth? Honestly, not much. Looking around my own city I saw more important issues to me. Sounds bad and yes I think I would consider the border solution more now than I did. Whilst the hard Brexit types only look to winning a victory plenty would listen to both sides and accept leaving much bring years of problems.

I agree though, I hope it doesn't return to terrorism & violence. I got evacuated from schools on more than one occasion and i wouldn't want anyone to experience that.

God knows how to resolve that border. We need not to affect the lives of ordinary people, not violent idiots, but then loyalist ideology will never accept any solution. Only reversing Brexit does it but it's still a ticking time bomb until that border poll.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 05-04-21 at 22:46.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I don't think NI was thought about much by anyone but I also think that says more about how it feels as much connected to us as places like Gibraltar. Even less care about them. Remain or Leave it wasn't a big seller like trade, immigration, economy, liberty, etc.

Some knew just as some voting Remain didn't. I just thought it was all forgotten, it's over the water do not about us. I can't remember seeing NI politicians constantly warning us not to play with this fire but I bet that dominated on their side.

But at some point loyalists are going to start up unless generations breed out the hatred over there. Brexit is just one of the events that could cause it. However why should everyone be held to ransom unable to change because of terrorists? Live in status quo out of fear? That's also wrong. It would mean they daren't trigger the border poll and I think that's their right.

I think your point is very fair. How much time did I invest in thinking about it when I was swinging back & forth? Honestly, not much. Looking around my own city I saw more important issues to me. Sounds bad and yes I think I would consider the border solution more now than I did. Whilst the hard Brexit types only look to winning a victory plenty would listen to both sides and accept leaving much bring years of problems.

I agree though, I hope it doesn't return to terrorism & violence. I got evacuated from schools on more than one occasion and i wouldn't want anyone to experience that.

God knows how to resolve that border. We need not to affect the lives of ordinary people, not violent idiots, but then loyalist ideology will never accept any solution. Only reversing Brexit does it but it's still a ticking time bomb until that border poll.
    Strange isn't it that many people nowadays seem to consider the IRA's past activities a walk in the park compared to those of the more contemporary 'terrorist' groups such as ISIS, Al-Qaida etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Not sure I can entirely agree, Terry; far too many people on the Brexit side were far too concerned about Johnny Foreigner coming in, that their towns were being overrun by Schrödinger's Immigrants simultaneously nicking all their jobs whilst living off all the benefits and getting free houses and 100" plasma TVs, believing Stanley McMurtry's disgusting cartoon in the Mail with the rats pouring in, Farage's rip-off Nazi poster and they just thought the Irish would just fall into line, if they thought about Ireland at all. I believe one or two headbanger Tories said as much!

I could see this coming a mile off; I knew it had the potential to screw up the GFA. Here's hoping we don't suddenly find things going bang on the mainland again. I remember being rather scared of the bombing campaigns on the mainland back in the 70s and 80s - I even got evacuated from a building I was working in after a coded warning back then. Mate of mine heard the bang at Canary Wharf from his house in Bromley...

However; to address Lenco's fears, such unrest becoming widespread is, as far as I can see, without foundation. He can sleep soundly in his bed, I don't think they'll be chucking half-bricks at coppers in Tamworth.

Ever.
    I agree that there is probably very little to be gained by the local yoof in both Tamworth and Burton on Trent lobbing bricks at coppers or going on mass looting, arson and wrecking sprees like they did back in August 2011 (though thankfully not in Staffordshire, in fact, not even Terry's 'manor' of SOT), but unfortunately there are a lot of very disturbed people right now (especially youngsters) and there already were even before this pandemic first kicked off.

One of the joys of living in a city no one cares about is the lack of activism. Even during UKIP last trying to take a Labour seat they had to bus them in.

Geography probably plays it's part for us too as we are so spread out.

Football was always the one around here. Stoke lose and some shopkeeper's window is going to get bricked. Add the alcohol element in their too. I'm too young to remember the battles with the police but my brother was there stuck in them.

One of the joys of living in a city no one cares about is the lack of activism. Even during UKIP last trying to take a Labour seat they had to bus them in.

Geography probably plays it's part for us too as we are so spread out.

Football was always the one around here. Stoke lose and some shopkeeper's window is going to get bricked. Add the alcohol element in their too. I'm too young to remember the battles with the police but my brother was there stuck in them.
    Blimey, the very thought of being present at a football match terrifies me big time, for the sake of all the deafening din from the crowd alone, even if there are no hooliganism-related incidents!

I couldn't attend a match in person even if I was being paid a grand up-front to do so.

Ditto for nightclubs once they reopen again, as those places also give me the heebies!

Absolutely feel free to correct me (and chastise me in 'text' form) if I'm wrong, nor do I intend to be having digs, but regarding your first paragraph about your city and its lack of activism, I always had the impression that the Stoke area was historically a hotspot for 'militant' tendencies, though perhaps it might be a bit different nowadays.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 06-04-21 at 08:57.

Well I've noticed over the past week the media don't appear to have made such a big deal over the Kill The Bill furore, and said city protests appear to have died down a fair bit over the same period.

Still reports of plenty of ongoing aggro in NI right now though, and in Belfast in particular, though obviously for very different reasons to the recent bouts of aggro in Bristol city centre, but both still involving blatant anti-police aggression, and extremists who simply revel in menacing, fighting and gang warfare!

However, yesterday there was a very interesting and thought-provoking article on the BBC website about the 40th anniversary of the first Brixton riot in April 1981, and documented whatever changes have taken place within the intervening period. It was considered a key watershed moment in race relations in the UK, and was aptly dubbed the UK's 'original BLM movement' in the article's title on the BBC website.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Well I've noticed over the past week the media don't appear to have made such a big deal over the Kill The Bill furore, and said city protests appear to have died down a fair bit over the same period.

Still reports of plenty of ongoing aggro in NI right now though, and in Belfast in particular, though obviously for very different reasons to the recent bouts of aggro in Bristol city centre, but both still involving blatant anti-police aggression, and extremists who simply revel in menacing, fighting and gang warfare!

However, yesterday there was a very interesting and thought-provoking article on the BBC website about the 40th anniversary of the first Brixton riot in April 1981, and documented whatever changes have taken place within the intervening period. It was considered a key watershed moment in race relations in the UK, and was aptly dubbed the UK's 'original BLM movement' in the article's title on the BBC website.
    It was also mentioned that those disturbances in Brixton and parts of various other major cities throughout this country during 1981 had likely been already brewing for several years (probably since at least the mid-70s), as it wasn't uncommon (in London in particular) for the police to arrest Black people willy-nilly, even if completely innocent, and beat them senseless in the interview rooms down at the local nick (as seen in some of the earlier episodes of 'The Bill') if they struggled to answer any questions.

I bet certain coppers also gleefully did very similar things to people with autism back then (regardless of ethnicity), as I know certain school teachers and likewise staff members certainly certainly did, as what happened to me and a few other kids at the residential school I attended. We Auties were also often fair game for receiving ASBOs back in the 2000s, whilst many of the 'real' yobs often got off scot-free!

But such institutionalised abuse meted out on us Auties by 'authority' figures (apart from the odd extreme cases like Winterbourne View in the late 2000s) has rarely ever received anywhere near the same amount of attention in the national news headlines, as institutional brutality against ethnic minorities, which in itself is beyond sickening and abhorrent.

Coppers corrupt enough to beat you or fit you up would do it to anyone when it served their purpose.

Coppers corrupt enough to beat you or fit you up would do it to anyone when it served their purpose.
    Well that's exactly why such people aren't fit to be in the job then.

Typical double standards, especially when they nick people for assault, then end up assaulting those very same people themselves even harder.

Ditto for many school teachers, (especially pre-1986), as you also mentioned that there were quite a few corrupt teachers during your school days, who in turn weren't fit to be in the profession!

Two wrongs don't make a right!

Today my riot fears have suddenly started all over again in earnest as this morning there has been a double whammy of news reports that could serve as potential 'triggers'.

Firstly the report about young Black people in the UK being disproportionately affected by unemployment during this pandemic and pre-existing divisions allegedly widening even further as a consequence.

Secondly, the reports about the current riots in Minneapolis following the fatal shooting of a Black person by a White police officer a few days ago.

Both probably have the potential to cause people to kick off in this country, not only the BLM protesters, but Kill The Bill, and various others.

Having said that, last week's disturbances in NI appear to have died down now, at least for the time being.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information