Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Riot fears

Re: Riot fears

Quote Originally Posted by PHR View Post
    Why would anyone riot now, about something that happened 10 and 20 years ago? People don't just riot, it's an unbelievably rare occurrence over here.
    I agree with you that there wouldn't be any point in people letting rip over the anniversary of 'historical' events, but there are probably more disturbed people now than since records began, who would use any old 'trigger' to kick off.

Same also applies to terrorist attacks.

There was a disturbance in Plymouth yesterday where a lunatic man went on a mass shooting rampage, like Hungerford in 1987.

Terrified of possible copycat incidents elsewhere and even riots in response.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    There was a disturbance in Plymouth yesterday where a lunatic man went on a mass shooting rampage, like Hungerford in 1987.

Terrified of possible copycat incidents elsewhere and even riots in response.
    On a similar note, I'm rather surprised that Plymouth supposedly escaped the riots of 10 years ago.

Plus the whole of the Devon and Cornwall area luckily seemed to be unaffected by said atrocities back then, unless there were smaller-scale related disturbances in that corner of England that were kept low-key by the media both then and now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in any way intending to write off Plymouth as a 'problem' city, as surely it must still have a lot of good things about it.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 13-08-21 at 12:55.

I don't know what's up with me right now but I still can't stop ruminating and obsessing over riots.

I know last night's shooting incident in Plymouth certainly hasn't provoked such events, but I still keep having flashbacks to that week in August 10 years ago when it seemed like civilisation as we know it was about to collapse and (dare I say it) seemed as if this country was on the brink of a full-on war back then!!

But it wasn't.

You're going through a rough patch Lenco. Yesterday was a bad day and unfortunately with last nights incident you're anxiety is heightened.

Try to avoid the news for a bit so you can settle again.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    But it wasn't.
    Exactly, it's purely a perception. Older generations have seen much worse in living memory.

Events like this are rare, Lenco. There are many places in the world where they are frequent. We are fortunate not to live in them.

Things like copy cat spree killers are the stuff of Hollywood. In reality they are incredible rare.

Beware the media inquest. In a few days they will have forgotten all about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Exactly, it's purely a perception. Older generations have seen much worse in living memory.

Events like this are rare, Lenco. There are many places in the world where they are frequent. We are fortunate not to live in them.

Things like copy cat spree killers are the stuff of Hollywood. In reality they are incredible rare.

Beware the media inquest. In a few days they will have forgotten all about it.
    You're probably right Terry, as far as the media are concerned the Plymouth incident will probably all be water under the bridge in about a week or two.

That's exactly what I thought about similar events in Birmingham (with knives not guns) last September, and I was correct, it's now mostly disappeared from the media altogether.

Ditto for likewise atrocities in Reading and Glasgow last summer (again involving knives not guns).

And as ghastly as the Plymouth incident is, to put it into context and perspective, it's hardly 9/11 or even 7/7 (central London in 2005) all over again.

Nor is it August 2011.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 14-08-21 at 12:28.

You're probably right Terry, as far as the media are concerned the Plymouth incident will probably all be water under the bridge in about a week or two.

That's exactly what I thought about similar events in Birmingham (with knives not guns) last September, and I was correct, it's now mostly disappeared from the media altogether.

Ditto for likewise atrocities in Reading and Glasgow last summer (again involving knives not guns).

And as ghastly as the Plymouth incident is, to put it into context and perspective, it's hardly 9/11 or even 7/7 (central London in 2005) all over again.

Nor is it August 2011.
    By some sheer coincidence, Priti Patel has dubbed Thursday's Plymouth shooting incident 'Plymouth's 9/11' according to the Daily Telegraph.

A most unhelpful remark IMO, as it doesn't even remotely compare with 9/11, as tragic as it is.

By some sheer coincidence, Priti Patel has dubbed Thursday's Plymouth shooting incident 'Plymouth's 9/11' according to the Daily Telegraph.

A most unhelpful remark IMO, as it doesn't even remotely compare with 9/11, as tragic as it is.
    She's probably drafting some legislation to springboard off the back of it as we speak.

It's not even in the same league of crimes. It's more mass shooter than political terrorist. There would be many comparable events in the U.S. to use.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information