Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Riot fears

Re: Riot fears

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Honestly, I'm not sure, I just know armed police were involved.
    My dad was just watching the BBC News channel, and the scrolling ticker text at the bottom of the screen didn't mention anything about any 'aggro' anywhere in Devon, which I'm sure would have been the case if mega serious.

I'm sure I saw something in the scrolling ticker text yesterday about a pub shooting incident in a place called Wallasey, which I think is in Merseyside.

Plus I can't for the life of me imagine why such a major August 2011-like disturbance would occur in a usually sleepy, leafy county such as Devon, which isn't normally known for 'Bandit Country'-like incidents.

It was the Welcome Family Holiday Park, in Dawlish. Hold on a sec and I'll edit a link in.

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry...t-holiday-park

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    It was the Welcome Family Holiday Park, in Dawlish. Hold on a sec and I'll edit a link in.

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry...t-holiday-park
    Thanks for that link BI.

While appalling and still pretty damn scary, it's still hardly the nationwide disturbances of August 2011 all over again though, at least not IMO anyway (which incidentally seem to pass Devon and Cornwall by at the time) And obviously not quite major enough for the likes of the BBC and Sky News channels to warrant giving lengthy wall-to-wall coverage.

Well France have certainly been having an 'August 2011' moment since about Wednesday last week.

I do really feel for the decent innocent majority of French folk whose country has been ravaged by this reign of terror for almost a week now, despite the fact that the riots there have now fortunately started to peter out.

Someone on another forum said the other day that they're surprised that these riots in France haven't yet spread to Britain despite allegedly spreading to other neighbouring European countries such as Belgium and Switzerland. Seriously, do we really need to be looting shops, burning down buildings and causing mass chaos and destruction in our own big cities in 'solidarity' over a certain incident across the Channel that we had/have no direct influence over?

And yes we do have our own issues right now here in the UK which aren't France's fault, nor by the same token are France's current problems our fault.

Yesterday there were major disturbances in Dublin, all allegedly triggered by misinformation doing the rounds following a stabbing incident at a school there, with false rumours circulating about the perpetrator being 'foreign', which caused far-Right nutjobs to let rip there.

According to the BBC site it was said that it's the worst disturbances the Republic of Ireland has witnessed in decades.

Once again, I'm paranoid about the possibility of 'copycat' riots spreading here to Britain, especially as there's already mounting tensions here over various issues, especially the Palestine thing over recent weeks with protests in London, Edinburgh and Glasgow where far-Righters attempted to hijack them, plus of course there were several disturbances across France over the summer months.

I find the actions of the thugs who rioted in Dublin yesterday distasteful and beyond the pale in the extreme, especially in the wake of an already tragic and traumatic knife crime incident that a 5-year-old school pupil was on the receiving end of, and protesting against 'those pesky foreigners' willy-nilly despite the perpetrator actually being an Irish citizen, still obviously with a bit of a screw loose to commit such an atrocity.

But sadly those rioting nutjobs have upped the ante by committing further atrocities in their own right against the Irish capital, and to fulfil their own pathetic whims and agendas.

I dress to imagine what might play out when the next fatal stabbing or shooting happens in London or any other major UK city, with foreigners/ethnic minorities possibly being blamed and scapegoated willy-nilly, especially in the absence of concrete evidence.

Lenco, they might have put the guns down but there are still a lot of guys over there who were part of enforcement of their own community rules. Only generations will change that. Just look at the tensions over trade with the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Lenco, they might have put the guns down but there are still a lot of guys over there who were part of enforcement of their own community rules. Only generations will change that. Just look at the tensions over trade with the EU.
    'Might have put the guns down'?

In what context exactly? The IRA and The Troubles, which were mainly concentrated in NI and not normally in the ROI?

Thursday's disturbances were in no way connected with The Troubles/IRA.
    Just knuckle-dragging baying mobs who had allegedly been gagging to have scraps with the police and turn over parts of central Dublin long before the school stabbing incident which was reportedly the flashpoint for the disturbances. The Irish authorities (according to the article on the BBC site yesterday) reckon Thursday's disturbances had already been brewing for over 2 years especially in the wake of the recent Covid pandemic and the subsequent (and still ongoing) COL crisis.

But using highly sensitive and emotive events like school stabbing incidents (especially where there were younger children on the receiving end) and then taking it upon oneselves to go on the rampage and bring such chaos and terror to the innocent law-abiding majority of Dubliners (who would have already been severely shocked at the the stabbing incident in the first place) and of course innocent tourists, people there on business, etc, suddenly caught up in it all!

Total absence of dignity from those rioting nutjobs, most of whom probably didn't otherwise previously give as much as a flying fig about the school and its pupils and staff. Just a bunch of knee-jerk reactionary 'anarchists' hell-bent on collectively wreaking havoc for the sake of BS misinformation circulating on social media that the knifeman was a 'foreigner', which was false.

So far no reports of any aggro here in England today in connection with Thursday's Dublin disturbances, nor any reports of any further disturbances in Dublin itself nor elsewhere throughout Ireland.

I've noticed last Thursday's riots in Dublin now seem to be water under the bridge already, unlike the August 2011 riots here in England which I remember were still being discussed in the media for about a month or so after the original events.

I noticed Saturday's (25th November) Palestine protests/demos in central London were seemingly kept lower key by the media, unlike those of the previous few Saturdays.

But then again, I guess the media can be very fickle and eventually seems to tire of reporting certain 'big' events, even if they're still actually ongoing. I suppose a lot of it is to do with the public's attention spans too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I've noticed last Thursday's riots in Dublin now seem to be water under the bridge already, unlike the August 2011 riots here in England which I remember were still being discussed in the media for about a month or so after the original events.

I noticed Saturday's (25th November) Palestine protests/demos in central London were seemingly kept lower key by the media, unlike those of the previous few Saturdays.

But then again, I guess the media can be very fickle and eventually seems to tire of reporting certain 'big' events, even if they're still actually ongoing. I suppose a lot of it is to do with the public's attention spans too.
    There have covered the the anti semitism march. I think the numbers at the free Palestine AKA we aren't condemning the barbaric actions of Hamas might be seeing the numbers reduce. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad if you saw the interview with the two idiots who didn't understand the Hamas attack took place and how hostages, including small children, had been taken by the lovely government of Palestine (the worst enemy of any Palestinian who wants real freedom).

Robinson was supposed to be there, not because of the Jewish community who are experiencing a lot of hate right now, but because of is anti Islam stance. Hopefully he didn't spoil it for them.

EDIT: spoke to soon about the idiot Robinson.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 27-11-23 at 12:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    'Might have put the guns down'?

In what context exactly? The IRA and The Troubles, which were mainly concentrated in NI and not normally in the ROI?

Thursday's disturbances were in no way connected with The Troubles/IRA.
    Just knuckle-dragging baying mobs who had allegedly been gagging to have scraps with the police and turn over parts of central Dublin long before the school stabbing incident which was reportedly the flashpoint for the disturbances. The Irish authorities (according to the article on the BBC site yesterday) reckon Thursday's disturbances had already been brewing for over 2 years especially in the wake of the recent Covid pandemic and the subsequent (and still ongoing) COL crisis.

But using highly sensitive and emotive events like school stabbing incidents (especially where there were younger children on the receiving end) and then taking it upon oneselves to go on the rampage and bring such chaos and terror to the innocent law-abiding majority of Dubliners (who would have already been severely shocked at the the stabbing incident in the first place) and of course innocent tourists, people there on business, etc, suddenly caught up in it all!

Total absence of dignity from those rioting nutjobs, most of whom probably didn't otherwise previously give as much as a flying fig about the school and its pupils and staff. Just a bunch of knee-jerk reactionary 'anarchists' hell-bent on collectively wreaking havoc for the sake of BS misinformation circulating on social media that the knifeman was a 'foreigner', which was false.

So far no reports of any aggro here in England today in connection with Thursday's Dublin disturbances, nor any reports of any further disturbances in Dublin itself nor elsewhere throughout Ireland.
    I think you are missing my point. You don't go from kneecapping people you don't like to law abiding citizen very easily. The same psychotic nutters doing that are still there on both sides of the border, but more so in NI. Whilst the fighting went on in NI there were plenty of IRA men & women in ROI and the US and I somehow doubt they were all lovely people.

Just look at peaceful NI once Brexit started getting going. No guns, but they had bricks.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread Information