Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foamy Urine and a revisit from my old friend health anxiety

Foamy Urine and a revisit from my old friend health anxiety

Overall, I have been doing pretty well. Living life, enjoying a life mostly devoid of anxiety, even through covid and all the nonsense of the last year.

Well this past week, it all came crashing down. I noticed I had foamy urine. Not super thick foam, but absolutely foamy urine. I went to the doc, and confirmed no UTI. Was sure that's what it was, so I didn't worry at all, until it was confirmed NOT a UTI.

Now I am awaiting results on blood work. My last bloodwork was 15 months ago, also due to covid, but was fine. I tried to do all the things, compartmentalize, avoid google, distract myself, exercise, and the anxiety is rolling in hard. I feel like I am really losing the fight here.

I have googled, I have gone into full catastrophization mode, pretty much assume I have kidney failure, and I feel the walls towering around me.

What's worse is there is no avoiding it. I have to go to the bathroom. Every time I do, there is foam. Every time.

I cannot seem to escape the thought that this can only be protein, and there can only be one cause for it. My logical brain knows this happens, but my illogical brain is a disaster and fully in charge.

Not sure where I am going with this, other than perhaps to vent.

Re: Foamy Urine and a revisit from my old friend health anxiety

A few things...

Do you have a toilet block in your loo? Or is your toilet being cleaned regularly? (apparently easy way to test this is to pee into a clear container)

Next, this may be a 'thing' with you (maybe you pee really fast) and you've only just noticed?

Dehydration can also cause this. I've noticed that Hub's pee is especially 'foamy' the morning after he's been on the beer. ( I know cus the minger don't always flush innit)

Do you have other, obvious, symptoms?

I try to look at all the logical reasons first, and if you can't make a connection - see your GP and get your pee tested.

Thanks. As far as I can tell I literally have no other symptoms. No edema, no pain, no weird colors to the urine, blood pressure good, not sure about diabetes, but it happens whether I go in the morning or after a ton of water.

It also happens in any toilet i use,, and it is definitely foam. Maybe not to the standard of beer, but a layer that will hang in the toilet for a couple minutes. Been taking hydration seriously.

That said, had blood work done, so should know more on Monday when I hear back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lofwyr View Post
    Thanks. As far as I can tell I literally have no other symptoms. No edema, no pain, no weird colors to the urine, blood pressure good, not sure about diabetes, but it happens whether I go in the morning or after a ton of water.

It also happens in any toilet i use,, and it is definitely foam. Maybe not to the standard of beer, but a layer that will hang in the toilet for a couple minutes. Been taking hydration seriously.

That said, had blood work done, so should know more on Monday when I hear back.

Thanks
    No other symptoms is very encouraging. Let us know how you go on.

If it's any comfort, I've had this for something like 15 years and frequent urine tests and tests associated with diabetes have never shown anything untoward.

It is very much a comfort! Always something waiting in the wings for us, but the fact that it has brought back so many old HA habits is probably more disturbing than the actual medical issue causing foamy urine at this point. Worst case scenario is my kidneys are failing, if they are, I will control it as best I can, and deal with it as it comes. In the meantime, just trying to set aside the catastrophizing and worry and not fall into old habits.

What this is really showing me, is that we are never "cured" 100% from HA. It is very much like an addiction or substance abuse problem. You can justify a lot of reasons to google something if you try hard enough, and it comes roaring back.

What this is really showing me, is that we are never "cured" 100% from HA. It is very much like an addiction or substance abuse problem. You can justify a lot of reasons to google something if you try hard enough, and it comes roaring back.
    I would completely agree that HA is never really cured. Our brains become so wired to think and act a certain way that completely ridding it of those connections is almost impossible. I have opted to develop a "friendship" with my HA. Rather than constantly fight it, I just acknowledge its presence and move on.

It is very much a comfort! Always something waiting in the wings for us, but the fact that it has brought back so many old HA habits is probably more disturbing than the actual medical issue causing foamy urine at this point. Worst case scenario is my kidneys are failing, if they are, I will control it as best I can, and deal with it as it comes. In the meantime, just trying to set aside the catastrophizing and worry and not fall into old habits.

Couldn't agree more.

Just a thought: do you drink a lot of diet soda, or recently have done? It seems to make my problem worse.

No, pretty much a water guy. Loads of meds for heart stuff though.

I had to reply to this as I noticed this recently and spiralled, went down the Kidney/Diabetes and other routes.

I then noticed that it seemed to occur within a couple of hours of me taking Prozac??? I just thought I'd mention it as you said your are taking meds for heart stuff.

I also recently started taking beta blockers for a few days and noticed my urine has become darker, almost to a dehyrdrated colour and I am having to drink a lot more for it to clear.

I haven't taken any today and it's been fine so I definitely think medications affect the consistency, foaminess and colour of our urine. I went off Prozac a few weeks ago and the bubbles seem to have calmed quite a bit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information