Thread: Bright red vomit - Esophageal varices?

Bright red vomit - Esophageal varices?

I'm gonna keep this as brief as possible.

So, my main HA concern is liver disease/cirrhosis due to alcohol abuse. I haven't drunk anything in 10 days, but decided to have a couple of light beers last night. It made me feel really bloated and gassy, so I made myself sick.

The sick came out bright red... I hadn't eaten anything red...

I am now really freaking out it could be Esophageal varices (a complication of cirrhosis of the liver.)

I have tried to make myself sick today to see if it is still red, but it looks clear with some brown bits (from my Diet Coke I think)

If this was
    Esophageal varices, would my vomit be red EVERY time, not just the one time last night?

Please let me know as I am seriously panicking. I am also waiting on blood test results on my liver that I requested myself due to my fears over cirrhosis.

Many thanks in advance

Re: Bright red vomit - Esophageal varices?

Alcopop, it's really not good to be trying to make yourself sick.

I appreciate you're anxious but forcing yourself to be sick could actually damage your Esophageous.

If you genuinely can't think of anything that you have eaten that would cause your vomit to be bright Red, then I would suggest a call to 111 as I think they would be the best people to advise.

I do understand you are anxious, I am also waiting on blood test results and my anxiety is through the roof but I think you probably need to speak to someone about this and the fact you are trying to force yourself to vomit.
    Last edited by Munchlet; 23-01-21 at 20:47.

Quote Originally Posted by alcopop View Post
    Esophageal varices (a complication of cirrhosis of the liver.)
    Someone has been Googling

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

First off, like a previous poster mentioned, its best that you get professional advice on this one.

Secondly, it is honestly really bad to be making yourself sick, and this perhaps could be causing blood, but I can't possibly say. Regardless, please don't do this anymore. If you get this worried about alcohol I strongly suggest you quit it altogether. It just won't help with your current worries.

Speaking from personal experience with HA, I know in so many cases that my HA appears to have caused the very symptoms I have been dwelling on and worrying about. Get yourself checked out and speak to a professional. In the meantime, try to stay calm and stay away from alcohol and certainly don't make yourself sick.

If you think you vomited blood then you need to get medical advice, as others have said above.

Making yourself sick, I don't know how you did that - sticking something down your throat ? could of course cause bleeding itself, as can violent wretching.

@Libra96 If you've ever taken a double dose of medication by accident and have needed to chuck it back up, two fingers down the throat.

So did you make yourself sick because of overdosing on medication?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

No, not last night, just because I felt my stomach was too full of gassy liquid.
    And when I did vomit, a load of bright red sick came out

You shouldn't make yourself sick because of that though to be honest.

I don't think it has anything to do with your liver though

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

There is NO WAY possible for you to have acquired cirrhosis from a 10 day drinking binge. It’s not even remotely possible.

In order to have Varcies you would have to have cirrhosis advanced enough to cause portal hypertension and if you had advanced cirrhosis you would likely know it.

I do not know how old you are but I can tell you the liver is one amazing organ, it can take a beating and bounce back so long as you treat it right, neither fibrosis nor cirrhosis from drinking or NAFLD happen overnight or in a matter of days or even in a matter of months. It takes many years of disease process.

Now, if your vomiting blood you really need to see a dr as there are literally many different reasons this could happen.

Thread Information