Hey everyone, I haven’t posted in a little while since I’ve been managing by health anxiety fairly well. I’m turning 19 next month and can’t wait to get things started for me. But I’m experiencing a minor setback with my health anxiety at the moment.

When I was 15, I was referred to see a Cardiologist and Optometrist because I have some features of Marfan syndrome. (A syndrome where some heart problems may occur). I have scoliosis, I’m tall and thin, and have a small chest deformity which are some physical symptoms. I’ve seen all doctors and they have cleared me saying everything is good every single time. But the fear that something may come up one day still haunts me. I feel as if I can never fully exert myself or something may happen. The last time I went (July 2020), she gave me the all clear to exercise. But the thing is people/google say that you shouldn’t exercise too much if you have Marfan syndrome.

Furthermore, I have never been diagnosed with Marfan syndrome. At least I don’t know if I have... they just said it could be possible. But my main fear is that if I exercise, something can suddenly happen to my heart. My GP and Cardiologist insist that I’m healthy and never find anything wrong. But reading stories on kids/young adults dying from exercise is so scary to me.

I love being active but can’t ever fully enjoy it without the subconscious fear of something horribly wrong occurring. I haven’t had that explosive motivation to work out anymore either. I want to get a job, learn to drive and enjoy things but this fear makes me feel as if I’m not capable. Anyone have any thoughts/ similar experiences?