Thread: MS fears - somebody please talk some sense into me!

MS fears - somebody please talk some sense into me!

Hi,

I need someone to talk sense into me please. I am a 45 year old male and I currently fear having MS. Two weeks ago my thumb started twitching noticeably and did so without me moving when lying down. This went away after a day but since I have a variety of additional sensations:

- I get a strange sensation when pressing my fingers together (like the thumb and index finger of the same hand). I can't describe the sensation but it feels like a weakness - I need some concious effort to overcome the sensation before it goes. It does not seem to impact my strenght as such but it's an initial funny feeling.

- I get the similar feeling as above in waves over my forearms and calves without doing anything

- I feel like my muscles in my arm vibrate using them. Similar to the muscles shaking from over using them but it happens immediately. My movements feel less smooth.

- I have a visible tremor in my finders when streching my arms out and try and place my fingers close together

- My hands tingle

- My hand has fallen asleep whilst sleeping twice now

Most of the symptops I get in both arms/hands/legs. The tremors aren't there all the time. This has been going on for two weeks now. I have had an MRI scan of my brain and cervical spine cord 10 years ago which came back normal.
    I am worried that my first scan was my very first attack that hasn't cause enough damage yet to show up. My grand cousin has MS but I know that's almost as relevant as my neighbour having it...

I'm trying hard not to get into a hole here - I did speak to a GP (this was just a telephone appointment) who said I needed to be seen due to the nature of the symptoms which didn't really reassure me...

Cheers!
    Last edited by rathmannm; 24-01-21 at 17:56.

Re: MS fears - somebody please talk some sense into me!

Not really feeling great today. On top of the above symptoms I woke up in the night with the top part of my left arm being numb - although it sorted itself after 10 min. Lots of twitching going on and a pain between my shoulder blades :(
    Last edited by rathmannm; 26-01-21 at 21:24.

I often wake up with my arm numb, it's because I've been sleeping on it. I also hold myself tense a lot which causes the muscles in my arms and sometimes my thighs to vibrate when using them, even my fingers ache sometimes. Most of these symptoms are tension. Tired muscles can feel very strange.

I'm not saying that's what you have, just what happens to me. As with anything that worries you you should always get checked out by a doctor. No one on here can tell you what it is just what it might be, which in the long run could just instil more fear. Go see your doctor and trust in the answers he gives you.

Quote Originally Posted by rathmannm View Post
    Hi,

I need someone to talk sense into me please. I am a 45 year old male and I currently fear having MS. Two weeks ago my thumb started twitching noticeably and did so without me moving when lying down. This went away after a day but since I have a variety of additional sensations:

- I get a strange sensation when pressing my fingers together (like the thumb and index finger of the same hand). I can't describe the sensation but it feels like a weakness - I need some concious effort to overcome the sensation before it goes. It does not seem to impact my strenght as such but it's an initial funny feeling.

- I get the similar feeling as above in waves over my forearms and calves without doing anything

- I feel like my muscles in my arm vibrate using them. Similar to the muscles shaking from over using them but it happens immediately. My movements feel less smooth.

- I have a visible tremor in my finders when streching my arms out and try and place my fingers close together

- My hands tingle

- My hand has fallen asleep whilst sleeping twice now

Most of the symptops I get in both arms/hands/legs. The tremors aren't there all the time. This has been going on for two weeks now. I have had an MRI scan of my brain and cervical spine cord 10 years ago which came back normal.
    I am worried that my first scan was my very first attack that hasn't cause enough damage yet to show up. My grand cousin has MS but I know that's almost as relevant as my neighbour having it...

I'm trying hard not to get into a hole here - I did speak to a GP (this was just a telephone appointment) who said I needed to be seen due to the nature of the symptoms which didn't really reassure me...

Cheers!
    Grand cousin?

I have had, or do have, most of the symptoms you mention and I don't have MS. I do have fibromyalgia though and muscle weakness from not using them enough, and there is some nerve impingement in my cervical spine which will account for many of my neurological symptoms. You're 45. That's in the age range for wear and tear, especially is you've done a lot of sports or manual work..

You're always going to be seen with neurological symptoms, and it's also been 10 years since your last scan. That doesn't mean that you have MS..

Thanks Paradise, Nora! Really apprechiate your responses. I'm trying hard to rationalize this. My symptoms keep changing - not sure if that's a good thing or not. I now mainly feel a constant tingle in the tip of my nose and my jaw seems to "vibrate". Very strange but I guess the body can be quite noisy. I've had my bloods taken last Thu so should get the results back on Tue and we'll take it from there...

Hi
    I have ms and get shaky legs and vibrating too.
    The thing with ms is that symptoms are unique to the sufferer and no one is the same. There are also different types of ms too.
    I think you should ask gp to refer you to a neurologist and get a brain and spinal mri as this will give a definitive answer.
    I lost the sight in my eyes which i was immediately sent for mri and diagnosed soon after.
    Good luck.

This is probably a little late but it may help. MS always triggers worst case scenarios and although some people really suffer with it and it isnt pleasant, most people live full normal lives even if it means a few adjustments. I wouldn't worry about it until it is confirmed. And even IF it is confirmed, it doesnt necessarily mean that your life will change all that much.

Thread Information