Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This is eating me up.

Re: This is eating me up.

Hi Matt, sorry this has been your experience.

Unfortunately, money can turn people into selfish, deceptive and greedy shits.

Greediness and love of money will totally wreck the family. Poor old man, he don't have any idea how bad the situation is. I couldn't stand on how the those two have the guts to deny where in fact you have everything on trail, in black and white....

geez, what evilness money can do.

Mate, I hope you and your partner will get through this.

Matt. Power of Attorney is so easy to set up. No solicitor required. They send you the form. You fill it out. A couple of witnesses needed, one of them not family and your Partner's dad signs in front of the witness. People set them up well before they become incapable.
    There are two forms. One for financial and one for health. x

Matt,

Sorry to hear this man. I was POA for both my parents before they passed. Believe it or not I counted it a blessing when they ran out of money due to mom's Alzheimer's. But one of the many non monetary things my dad left me was good advice. During a very low point in my life he took me aside. He could see I was struggling greatly with a particular issue that was beyond my control. He said...sometimes son a guy's gotta cut his losses and move on.

Not sure if this is one of those times for you or not. Just something to keep in mind. Good luck.

I know it's very easy for me to give advice on such a distressing and enraging issue for you, Matt but I agree with Noivous.

It's just not worth the toll on your mental and possibly physical health. Yes they are scumbags but you have done all you can at great expense to your own wellbeing. It may be best to cut your losses and move on but make sure such a situation can never happen again legally.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Hi Matt, sorry this has been your experience.

Unfortunately, money can turn people into selfish, deceptive and greedy shits.
    Can't believe how devious they have been and just deny the lot.

I can't tolerate shite like this, it doesn't compute with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Matt. Power of Attorney is so easy to set up. No solicitor required. They send you the form. You fill it out. A couple of witnesses needed, one of them not family and your Partner's dad signs in front of the witness. People set them up well before they become incapable.
    Thanks Carnation, that's good to know

Matt, I'm really sorry to hear this has continued mate. I remember you talking about this before.

Sadly I'm not surprised either. Some people are just scum. They turn your pockets out as you may dying in the street.

But I'm wondering why the civil legal action route is even being considered since this is covered under criminal law? Councils and Social Services have protection services for the vulnerable and part of that is coercion into signing away finances like these cheques.

They should be in front of a judge mate.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 27-01-21 at 06:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    It's a pity the thieves hadn't gone the POA route. The lack of justification for those cheques alone would be an offence that the Office of the Public Guardian could investigate.

Been looking at this route ourselves and it's quite easy to do. The forms are brief and pretty easy. You just have to be really careful with a couple of sections (individual or shared decisions) and also use the correct legal wordings so you don't void it. It's well explained in the guide that comes with it.

I'll be doing this myself for dad to allow him to control mum's at some point but for now we got around the money situation with online accounts and new bank account for dad (most of his pensions were paid into mum's individual account so once she became too ill...).

Matt, does he have a GP that could sign it? There are 2 forms of witness and one has to be a suitable person to judge the ability to sign (certificate provider). Signings also have to be performed in a certain order.

Why line a solicitors pockets if you don't have too. It would cut those things straight out. But get some advice too because like MrsC said people do them before the donor becomes incapable. Until then you can act under the POA but they can continue too. Your sneaky relatives could still try it on through coercion. With the health LPA though it doesn't start until the person becomes incapable. You don't need to have both though but the financial one might help you.

Is there any chance these thieves have got themselves set up to act on his behalf e.g. with the bank so they handle queries, transfers, etc. Don't need POA for that there is a 3rd party mandate route the banks can use in law but he still has to sign it in their presence so they can rule out incapability and coercion.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 27-01-21 at 06:47.

Quote Originally Posted by meltedchic View Post
    Greediness and love of money will totally wreck the family. Poor old man, he don't have any idea how bad the situation is. I couldn't stand on how the those two have the guts to deny where in fact you have everything on trail, in black and white....

geez, what evilness money can do.

Mate, I hope you and your partner will get through this.
    Yep it's unbelievable and to not only doing what they did, to try and deflect blame on to me and my Partner also is incredible and has put a massive strain on our relationship.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information