Thread: Scared to come out of room due to housemate (COVID isolation)

Scared to come out of room due to housemate (COVID isolation)

Hello Everyone,
    This may be a bit long and I'm not sure whether this was the right place to post this.
    So I travelled back from visiting my family for xmas after 14 days of isolation and two negative tests, since they all tested positive.
    I came back home and started having symptoms whilst I was working in the university clinic, weird symptoms like blocked hearing and sore throat. I blamed it on my acid reflux, since it was bad over the past few days.

I had a lateral flow test done, just for the peace of mind. It came back positive and I ordered another home test to make sure and it came back positive again. I then let the clinic know and all my housemates know that I had a positive test.
    I wore a mask whilst out in my room and clleaned surfaces down and washed my hands. The one time one of my housemates caught me outside my room without a mask (I'm exempt, but I still try to wear one and I felt depressed and anxious thanks to isolation - I have autism), she went absolutely ballistic at me, saying that she'll send me the bill for her rent and bills to pay since she won't be able to work.
    Then another time , I used the upstairs bathroom then she had a right go at me, saying that she'll never forgive me if she catches it and I shouldn't even be out of my room. That I should use the ensuite I have (the toilet in there is horrible, makes a horrible noise and I know it sounds stupid but I have phonophobia/Ligyrophobia - I brought that up but she said "id rather have you hear a loud sound than someone getting COVID) I wiped the surfaces I touched , wore a mask. I broke down, I was exhausted. I had enough of it.
    I had a meltdown and punched the floor a few times. Felt like nothing I did was good enough.

I checked with the university about what to do now after my symptoms disappeared after my isolation period ended. They told me I'm free to go back to the clinic and I do not need to book another test.
    Only today I was using the bathroom and she had a go at me again. I stood my ground this time saying that threatening me to pay her rent is not acceptable, she said that she glad she said it and it wasn't a threat but a promise, since I "threatened her" with COVID, she was acting in self defence. She said she never wanted to go through with it anyway, only if it puts her in hospital.

She said that I shouldn't be out (even though my isolation has finished) and that I need another test, I told her the university said I didn't need one. She said the university and guidelines is wrong and that I should use common sense and test before clinic. Everytime I said I followed the guidelines as best I could, she snapped back; well the guidelines are wrong, you also haven't been sympathetic nor thinking about us (I barely even know what I'm feeling, let alone expressing it towards someone else). I said yes I have, I've been cleaning surfaces and washing hands and wearing a mask 99.9% of the time and I've been following the guidelines, and again it goes back to "the guidelines are wrong." Feels like nothing I did was good enough.

I just don't know what to do, we have been friends for 5 years. I've contacted the university about this situation (did not mention her name) and they find it unacceptable. Felt like she's lost all empathy and barely listened to my concerns. She's attacked my beliefs before. Seems like something snapped in her. I can understand being scared or frustrated at me for bringing it in, but its not like I knowingly did it. I'm locked in my room starving, scared to come out because I don't trust anyone to cook for me (I do my cooking in a certain routine). She has a daughter with aspergers and she keeps comparing her to me, it gets me really annoyed. Like we are some sort of collective or something "Well she's coping well with a mask and lockdown, so should you."
    Sorry this was a bit long, thanks for listening to my rant

Re: Scared to come out of room due to housemate (COVID isolation)

I'm really sorry but I can see her point (though do not agree with her lashing out in the way she did) - if you're covid positive and sharing a house and have an ensuite - you should be using that and not risking anyone else. Covid is spread so easily especially this new strain. I'd understand it if you didnt have a bathroom but you do so that should be used.

I think I'd react the same as her in this situation. People are scared. I am on the verge of losing my mother in law to this - it's mild in 99% of the cases but for some they aren't so lucky. If you had covid, you need to do all you can to protect others as well as yourself.

How long has it been since your positive test?

She might be thinking of the days since exposure so possibly when her 10 days is up she'll be a lot calmer.

I dont think this is anything personal against you - it's just fear and frustration - other people have anxiety as well and it can come out in that way. as you said, it sounds like she's just snapped though I dont agree with the manner how she's behaved of course.

I know I didnt want to go near my husband who had a positive test (but no symptoms) for at least 2 weeks! And honestly I wouldn't wish what my family is going through on anyone - it's hell. We all react badly sometimes - this virus has bought out the worst in a lot of people and fear can also do that.

Have you got anything you can eat in the meantime? noodles / bars etc? I'm sure this will all blow over soon - once she's out the window of possible exposure / catching the virus I think she'll be a lot calmer

Sorry she was so rude to you though - that must have been tough - I do get where you're coming from in that regards - Katie xx

Thanks Katie, I see your point. I'm sorry to hear about your mother in law. I totally understand people are scared because they have no idea how they will react catching this.
    I cannot go near the ensuite. I tried and tried over and over again to use it, but it's difficult. Even tried blasting music from my headphones or distracting myself with my phone. I really am trying. It's such a bizarre situation.
    My 10 days of isolation was up yesterday and she still had a go at me today. Yeah I got noodles and soup, but I'm not allowed in the kitchen to cook them. I do clean the bathroom up after every use, cleaning doorknobs, light switches, handles, taps, seat, flusher etc. So I am careful.
    Yeah I mean it's not needed, especially since my mental health has been spiralling out of control. I wouldn't mind if she just talked to me about it and listened to my concerns rather than threatening me and snapping at me.

Maybe just let the dust settle a little bit - your 10 days was up yesterday so in 4 days it'll be 14 and then that'll be 10 days for her from exposure to you possibly? It sounds like she's very scared of getting covid and has just lashed out at you

I think take a step back, wait it out if you can and then try and talk it through once she's calmed down and knows she's safe from catching it as Im guessing that's what she's worried about it

Good you're cleaning everything and with a window open/mask on that should be ok too

I can kind of relate to the OP's concerns because I had issues myself with specific toilets and likewise facilities when I was younger, sometimes over even the most trivial of factors that most ordinary people would never even had noticed nor given as much as a second thought to, but in this current situation it's obviously a massive dilemma.

The OP specifically mentioned that the toilet concerned emits sounds that causes him/her severe distress (presumably during the flush/cistern refill cycle), which he/she could mention to the landlord of the property if the noises may be due to a possible fault with the ball valve, but such things sadly often fall on deaf ears, as more often than not they aren't considered priority issues in the eyes of those higher up, and twas ever thus I'm afraid.

It must be an extremely futile situation for both the OP and the person he/she shares the flat with, as I can also understand that person's concerns about keeping Covid at bay.

Thread Information