Thread: I need antidepressants

I need antidepressants

Hi everyone

I have been avoiding this for months, but as my physical symptoms don't seem to be getting much better and I am generally very anxious about all sorts of things now, mainly my health, I think I will give anti-ds a go. So far GP's tell me I am ok and blood tests and a few ECGs don't show any problems. I am a nearly 40 year old female with no previous heart problems and healthy most of my life.

I am sure this has been asked a million times before here, but quickly I need some views on which anti-ds you found helped most with general aches and pains (I have pain in the chest, shoulders, spine, etc which may be symptomps of fibromyalgia or something similar).

I have been an insomniac all my life, currently taking Zolpidem, would like to know if there are any anti-ds that help with sleep as well so that I don't have to take sleeping tablets AND anti-ds at the same time.

Many thanks for any help.

Re: I need antidepressants

I have tried three different types, Citalopram which kept me awake most of the night, amitriptylene which spaced me out and am now on 30mg of Mirtazapine which have been fantastic, they do make you feel very dopey for the first couple of weeks but I am now four weeks in and they do help you sleep, they might be worth a try, but what works for one person doesn't always work for another. Think you have to give it a go though.

Good Luck
    Banana

Everyone is different I am afraid.

I had Dothiepin - did nothing for me

Prozac - helped the depression, never touched the panic attacks

Citalopram - took it for one week and felt absolutely awful.

I gave them all up and went down the CBT route instead.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I'm on Mirtazapine too. Nothing like it to guarantee falling asleep at night. But then that's just me.

thanks everyone. will talk to doctor about it this week. fingers crossed will be able to sleep without needing zolpidem too.

Hey Flower,

Some of the older tricyclic type ones like Amiltriptyline have a painkilling effect, are sposed to be quite good for neuralgia type pain and also help you sleep. While working on depression and anxiety related symptoms too. They can have some annoying side effects like dry mouth etc tho.

You may need to slowly reduce the Zolpidem if you have been taking them for a while to reduce any withdrawal effects.

Jim

Thread Information