Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colonoscopy please tell me the truth

Re: Colonoscopy please tell me the truth

Hi Countrygirl

I went back to normal with the bowels a day or so later. I remember being scared about going to but all was fine.

thanks and take care
    Tracy

heya, I had one sedated and my notes afterwards said "did not tolerate!!!" i can't really remember it too well, but i didn't like the air they pump in and i get embarrassed by farts and things so i think i was subconsciously more worried about that than being in actual pain! i know someone who had it under general and was fine.

jess xxx

3. Re: Colonoscopy please tell me the truth

I haven't had any colonoscopy before. But I think those who undergoes colonoscopy is sedated so I guess it lessens the discomfort.

Hi there!
    I had a colonoscopy and a barium enema last year. The truth... I was in hospital when I had the colonoscopy so i was administered anal laxatives uncomfortable but not painful. When I went for the procedure I was told to lie on my back and pull my knees up towards my chest. The tube with the camera was inserted uncomfortable but not painful. The only painful bit was when they release the gas. That was like a sustained pretty damn painful labour pain. ( I had no sedation). The nurse held my hands and I moaned a little and before I knew it the tube was being extracted as it was the pressure of the gas was released and the pain went instantly. Honestly. I could do it again without the need for sedation. Personally if you've ever had really bad toothache that is most definately worse.
    The BArium enema was however something else altogether. There wasnt the same degree of pain but it was an elongated extremely uncomfortable experience., as you are asked to move in all different directions and the table stands you up too and the whole time trying to not give in to the feeling of needing to poop is awful.
    Honestly Id rather experience the pain of the colonoscopy than go through a barium enema again.

Hope that helps

Pooh
    I've crossed lines of words and wire, and both have cut me deep. I've been frozen out and I've been on fire, and the tears are mine to weep. But I can cry until I laugh, or laugh until I cry. So cut the deck right in half, I'll play from either side.

http://poohsworld-pooh.blogspot.com/

Well I have had both flexible sigmoidoscopy & proctoscopy (which wasn't too bad) they found Heamorrrroids which the doctor wanted to band there & then but couldn't due to me being on Warfarin etc.
    Well I ended up with a nice invite from the hospital for a Colonoscopy (gee thanks), Cause of the instructions about me having to stop Warfarin 5 days prior to it, I queried this by letter to my consultant letting him know of my concerns.
    Well I ended up with a letter back saying he (the consultant) had cancelled my Colonoscopy (see there is a God!), he wants me to go back to see him on 02/12/09 to discuss the other options for looking inside my Colon area.

I had the procedure this Monday and it was uncomfortable yes, painful no. You will have a weired sensation but it is managable and i had no pain relief. I was even allowed a small breakfast which i decided against, nerves i suppose but it had to be done and now it has been i'm glad, they'll tell you there and then i you have any issues so all for the best really. I had no bleeding or pain post the procedure, just a quick dash to the toilet. Best of luck

“Colonoscopy is the endoscopic examination of the colon and the distal part of the small bowel with a CCD camera or a fiber optic camera on a flexible tube passed through the anus. It may provide a visual diagnosis (e.g. ulceration, polyps) and grants the opportunity for biopsy or removal of suspected lesion (.wikipedia.org)” Colonoscopy is usually done in diagnosing colon disease and determine colon health. If there is a sudden change in bowel habit or suspicion of malignancy in our instestine. It is done by a doctor to check what is inside your colon, which is what we also call the large intestine. In this process the doctor uses colonoscope. The colonoscope is a thin, flexible tube that ranges from 48in. to 72in. long. A small video camera is attached to the colonoscope so that your doctor can take pictures or video of the large intestine (colon). This allows insertion of the air in the scope to have a better view inside the colon. It has also forceps attached on the scopes that can collect tissues for biopsy.
    Colonoscopy is a procedure used to see inside the colon and rectum. Colonoscopy can detect inflamed tissue, ulcers, and abnormal growths. Polyps may be removed with electrocautery snares, and photographs may be taken. The procedure is used to look for early signs of colorectal cancer and can help doctors diagnose unexplained changes in bowel habits, abdominal pain, bleeding from the anus, and weight loss. It can also detect the cause of bleeding and irritation in our colon.

>>for more information about this, visit www.colonnews.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information