Thread: Intense jaw tightness over last few days

Intense jaw tightness over last few days

My health anxiety has been very bad lately due to other issues I've been having, and a few days ago I noticed my jaw muscles feeling tight, and the last couple of days they've become so tight it feels like a real pressure in there. I occasionally get twitches in my chin too.
    I am trying to relax my jaw but it keeps on going tight. Is this normal?! As in -the type of jaw tension you get from stress -can it feel like this? It is very clunky too when I open it wide or when eating -I often get a bit of clunkiness but it's extremely clunky the last 2 days. It only seemed to be gone in the night and didn't really notice it when I woke up but then it was there again soon after.
    Would appreciate some thoughts or experiences -is this the sort of thing that can be 'just' stress? I've never experienced this before.
    Thanks so much!

Re: Intense jaw tightness over last few days

It's usually from subconscious jaw clenching or teeth grinding. You won't even notice you're doing it.

Make a conscious effort to keep your jaw slack over a period of days/weeks, and stretch it open from time to time.

Re: Intense jaw tightness over last few days

Agree with AJoe. We tend to tense our bodies in various ways (most times unconsciously) when stressed, with leads to physical symptoms.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information