Thread: reassurance please

reassurance please

A shout out to all the perimenopause women on here!! How are you guys dealing with all your symptoms?? I'm having a horrible time. Every symptom is cancer 😭

Re: reassurance please

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by always scared View Post
    A shout out to all the perimenopause women on here!! How are you guys dealing with all your symptoms?? I'm having a horrible time. Every symptom is cancer 
    I'm 10 years post-meno now.

On a hormonal scale - try and think of the menopause as puberty in reverse because that's what's essentially happening to you.

Think back to when you were going through puberty with those mood swings and uncomfortable symptoms. My anxiety went ORBITAL when I was going through puberty and my HA mind latched onto all those confusing (but normal) symptoms. Just as your body settled into its new norm after puberty, it will calm down into the next phase.

This is a normal change that every woman goes through. Some have an easier ride than others. I didn't. Puberty was shite and so was my decent into menopause - which started when I was 39!

There are things you can do to help yourself through this phase..

If symptoms are unbearable - there's HRT. I didn't take it but that's my choice.

A healthier diet will help - less sugar - and moderate (or better still, abstain) when it comes to alcohol.

There are lots of herbs you can take for hot flushes but you have to know about contraindications with other medications etc

There are some good menopause supplements out there. I took Menopace but had to stop because I didn't realise there was iron in and I can't take it without my IBS playing up..

I dealt with my hot flushes by wearing thin layers of clothing which could easily be removed and put back on. Using a fan in the bedroom and a silk runner across the bottom of the bed so I could stick my feet on the cool material. Kool Strips can help to cool things down and I also bought a gel filled cooling pad which you buy quite cheaply online..

You need to understand that this is transitory. Worst case is these symptoms can last for ten years but many women settle down within 5. If you want a general idea, ask your mother how long hers was..

This is very much a matter of 'fighting those little fires' as they happen and I've given you some tips, but there are also some great books out there about the menopause based on those who take the HRT route and those (like me) who can't.

What I can absolutely guarantee you is that stress will make this ride worse then it has to be. You imagining that these normal symptoms are cancer will keep the stress hormones flowing and that will amplify every symptom.

Constant reassurance isn't going to help you control your HA. It pacifies short term. You need to address your health anxiety, and now is as good a time as any.

I'm 49 and so far it's not been too bad physically. I rarely feel cold anymore, but I only get hot flushes if I have a fast change of temperature eg. cold outside, hot inside or drinking a hot drink on a hot day. My anxiety has been pretty dreadful, but I haven't had the mood swings some of my friends are struggling with. Fear of ovarian and breast cancer plus dementia have been consuming at times (see my previous posts ) I listen to a great podcast, The Hot Flush, which gives me a laugh and makes me feel more normal. This too shall pass (it just feels like it will last forever). Hugs x

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm so freaked out still. I just feel I'm at the end of my life now. I don't have any hot flashes the only symptoms of perimenopause I have is crazy periods. I've always had very heavy periods with clots but they were like clock work every month. Now since November they're so messed up. They're even more heavy with huge clots at times. I've just started spotting between periods too. I'm so scared. January was so bad. I've had a lot of mucus-y clear discharge then brown spotting then a very heavy clotty period. This is happening every day. If i'm not spotting brown crap then i'm bleeding. I just want to cut my uterus and ovaries out of me right now!! oh and my panic and anxiety is throw the roof. I'm so terrified of doctors and dying I haven't been for any tests in years.

Quote Originally Posted by always scared View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm so freaked out still. I just feel I'm at the end of my life now.
    Respectfully...

Get some therapy for your health anxiety.

Change your avatar and username to something more inspirational, rather than a visual reminder of what (I presume) you don't want to be?

There are plenty of helpful, and inspirational books about the menopause out there - both natural and for those who wish to go down the HRT route.

Incidentally, 'cutting out your uterus and ovaries' won't change a thing. Hysterectomies put women into the menopause regardless of age so what you've said just doesn't make sense?

You might feel like shite for a few years and then you will arrive at your new 'normal'. You can go through this normal change of life kicking and screaming if you want to, but that will just make the symptoms (and psychological stuff) so much worse than it has to be. Choose to be more positive and proactive and you will make life much more easier for yourself.

I found that humour helped me. Victoria Wood has some great material on the menopause - very funny! Read funny books. Listen to funny podcasts. See the funny side!

Or, you can stay as you are.

Thread Information