Hi. I hope everyone doing ok today. I could really do with some advice if anyone is able.

I’ve been on Venlafaxine 225mg for panic disorder and anxiety for the last 4 years. I was previously on Paroxetine but that stopped working for me. Switching was pretty rough but, to be fair, I’ve not been doing too bad on it since. I don’t think we are ever ‘cured’ are we, but things were much more manageable.

Since lockdown things have changed. The situation brought about some triggers for me, and the panic returned. High level panic lasting days at a time. Racing thoughts, trembling, the full works . I know myself quite well and i know I fear the fear itself. Doctor gave me some diazepam 2mg for the worst moments, but of course I was even anxious about taking these!

I’ve never considered myself to have depression, but over time I’ve been feeling increasingly tearful, hopeless and unable to enjoy or even engage with anything. This has been accompanied by a spaced out disconnected feeling (depersonalisation?) which freaks me out even more.

I was lucky to get a psychiatrist appointment, and she has recommended increasing the Venlafaxine to 300mg. Now, I know 225mg is considered the maximum dose for anxiety and panic, but 300mg or higher can be given for clinical depression. At higher doses I also know the drug behaves differently and can increase adrenaline.

How is this going to make me feel? Could this make my anxiety/panic worse? Will I feel even more spaced out and drugged up at this dose?

I know there are no definite answers and it’s a case of see what happens, but wondering if anyone has any experience of 300mg, especially anyone more prone to panic and anxiety than depression.

Best wishes to everyone.