Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Increasing Venlafaxine to 300mg

Re: Increasing Venlafaxine to 300mg

Quote Originally Posted by Cornish Andy View Post
    I guess I was hoping the increased dose might prop me up a little better to help cope with it.
    Unfortunately, there is nothing quick about ADs, Andy, apart from the speed of side-effects onset. But a few more days could make a difference. 🤞

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Unfortunately, there is nothing quick about ADs, Andy, apart from the speed of side-effects onset. But a few more days could make a difference.
    Thank you panic_down_under. I’ve let things build up in my head this week and, for some reason, just your simple reply opened the floodgates and turned me into a crying mess! But that’s a good thing. It’s best to let it out I know.

I’ll see how the rest of the day goes and perhaps have one of my very occasional diazepam later to have a more relaxed evening. It sometimes helps to break the cycle.

All the best to you and everyone else here. Onwards and upwards again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m back again with another question. These irrational worries never end.

Has anyone ever experienced a problem changing from one generic brand to another? I’ve always been on a generic version of Venlafaxine - ‘Vensir’ - but the pharmacy have issued me a different brand this time. What with the recent increase still in progress I’m hoping this won’t cause any upsets.

I’m back again with another question. These irrational worries never end.

Has anyone ever experienced a problem changing from one generic brand to another? I’ve always been on a generic version of Venlafaxine - ‘Vensir’ - but the pharmacy have issued me a different brand this time. What with the recent increase still in progress I’m hoping this won’t cause any upsets.

A lot of people worry about changing brands, I used to worry about it too but that’s just the anxiety talking. The ingredients are exactly the same so shouldn’t be an issue. You’ll be fine 🙂

Has anyone ever experienced a problem changing from one generic brand to another?
    As Jo has said, there shouldn't be any difference. A study years ago when generics became more available found generics were on average 14% less effective than the brand, not because of what was in the packet, but printed on it, i.e. psychology, not chemistry.

Back in the days when the ancient AD I take was still available in the brand version I found I did better when taking the generic. I suspect the difference was the brand tablets had a much thicker red coating which I was reacting too.

Thanks both. Day one on the different brand today, but I’m sure it’ll be fine. I’m struggling anyway at the moment, but I know I’m doing it to myself with anticipation of a challenging few days coming up.

Best wishes to everyone.

Hi folks. I hope you’re all well.

So, I’ve done a month on the different brand, and I don’t think it really made a difference. Just picked up my prescription for this month and I’m back on the original brand, and I’m not going to worry about it.

What is getting me down is the lack of overall progress. I’ve been on the increased 300mg dose for almost 7 weeks now. I have had some good days, which is positive, but still a lot of very bad days and not much change overall. Sometimes I can’t even tell if it’s anxiety or depression. It seems to be a bit of both. Sometimes I feel scared and physically shaky, yet numb at the same time.

A little way in to this 7 week period I did face a significant trigger for my anxiety which sent me into a bad period, so I’m committed to allowing more time to give this increase a reasonable chance to work. I’m just not sure how much longer, if I don’t start to feel any better soon. Or what the next step might be.

A little way in to this 7 week period I did face a significant trigger for my anxiety which sent me into a bad period, so I’m committed to allowing more time to give this increase a reasonable chance to work. I’m just not sure how much longer, if I don’t start to feel any better soon. Or what the next step might be.
    I would be expecting a better result by now, Andy. More good days than bad at least. But given your history it could take longer than usually for a AD to kick-in so it might be too early to pull the plug just yet.

As for where to if venlafaxine proves to be a dud, the next step will probably be a switch to fluoxetine (Prozac) as quitting venlafaxine directly can sometimes be difficult due to its very short half-life. There is a reasonably good chance fluoxetine will work, if it doesn't citalopram (Celexa) has a pretty good track record for working when other SSRIs no longer do if your psychiatrist wants to stick with that AD class. However, my recommendation would be one of the TCAs, amitriptyline or imipramine with a preference for the latter.

Before the advent of SSRIs/SNRIs imipramine was the 'gold standard' AD for panic disorder. The newer meds didn't replace the TCAs (and MAOIs) because they were more effective, they aren't, but because they were regarded as safer in overdose which turns out isn't actually true of all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    I would be expecting a better result by now, Andy. More good days than bad at least. But given your history it could take longer than usually for a AD to kick-in so it might be too early to pull the plug just yet.

As for where to if venlafaxine proves to be a dud, the next step will probably be a switch to fluoxetine (Prozac) as quitting venlafaxine directly can sometimes be difficult due to its very short half-life. There is a reasonably good chance fluoxetine will work, if it doesn't citalopram (Celexa) has a pretty good track record for working when other SSRIs no longer do if your psychiatrist wants to stick with that AD class. However, my recommendation would be one of the TCAs, amitriptyline or imipramine with a preference for the latter.

Before the advent of SSRIs/SNRIs imipramine was the 'gold standard' AD for panic disorder. The newer meds didn't replace the TCAs (and MAOIs) because they were more effective, they aren't, but because they were regarded as safer in overdose which turns out isn't actually true of all of them.
    Thanks panic_down_under. Really useful advice once again.

What's actually been happening is a few good days where I feel ok, better even, then I 'break down' again with really high anxiety but also, more recently, very low mood as well. Feelings of hopelessness, bleak thoughts and no motivation. Worrying about my thoughts and low mood then adds more anxiety.

I saw my usual therapist today, and he is very concerned how quickly and low my mood drops, and suggests I go back to the psychiatrist as soon as possible to look for something to stabilize my mood, which I am trying to arrange now. I'm nervous of changing antidepressant (aren't we all!) or adding anything new because the process knocked me for six last time, but I guess I have to acknowledge that I'm not well now so there's not much to lose.

It feels different now to 'straightforward' panic disorder which was my initial diagnosis, but I know these things are two sides of the same coin. I don't have a history of depression, and I'm fairly sure it's driven by my anxiety which wears me down. Lockdown has played a big part too by turning my regular routine upside down.
    Last edited by Cornish Andy; 23-03-21 at 17:50.

I saw my usual therapist today, and he is very concerned how quickly and low my mood drops, and suggests I go back to the psychiatrist as soon as possible to look for something to stabilize my mood, which I am trying to arrange now. I'm nervous of changing antidepressant (aren't we all!) or adding anything new because the process knocked me for six last time, but I guess I have to acknowledge that I'm not well now so there's not much to lose.
    Your psychiatrist will likely recommend adding a mood stabilizer, Andy. Imho, it isn't the best option, but it is the easiest, least disruptive and quickest option.

It feels different now to 'straightforward' panic disorder which was my initial diagnosis, but I know these things are two sides of the same coin. I don't have a history of depression, and I'm fairly sure it's driven by my anxiety which wears me down. Lockdown has played a big part too by turning my regular routine upside down.
    It's hard to judge, however, if the anxiety was bought under control the other things would probably begin to fall away.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information