Thread: During the night breathing

During the night breathing

Hi

So something that has started happening and I’ve never experience this before with previous anxiety episodes. I find I’m waiting up several times during the night needing to get some deep breaths in, feels like a can’t breathe. During the day I’m quite stressed at the moment so not sure if this is a factor. I’m also experiencing back ache, again assuming could be a factor of stress? I cannot shake this off.

Re: During the night breathing

Quote Originally Posted by baldy_1812 View Post
    Hi

So something that has started happening and I’ve never experience this before with previous anxiety episodes. I find I’m waiting up several times during the night needing to get some deep breaths in, feels like a can’t breathe. During the day I’m quite stressed at the moment so not sure if this is a factor. I’m also experiencing back ache, again assuming could be a factor of stress? I cannot shake this off.
    Nocturnal panic attacks. I've had them for years...

Re: During the night breathing

Quote Originally Posted by baldy_1812 View Post
    Hi

If you're stressed and experiencing backache, it's likely your muscles are very tense. Not so much of an issue during the day when you're moving about, but it can worsen at night and hamper your breathing.

I've had this before and it can feel quite severe, but you're not actually short of breath, it's just your body 'senses' you are because the diaphragm isn't working as it should.

The best solution is to try and relax, breathe through your nose and don't try and force the breathing. If you try and gulp air through your mouth, your brain compounds the sensation of lack of breath, and you are likely to start hyperventilating, which will make you feel even more short of breath.

Thread Information