Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very Afraid, receptionist scared me about test results now I'm terrified

Re: Very Afraid, receptionist scared me about test results now I'm terrified

What a kind doctor..Glad to hear that you have been reassured but try not to ruminate on the "slightly raised" aspect..."Borderline can be your normal" as she says.

Quote Originally Posted by chinadoll19 View Post
    . The first thing she said was 'There is nothing to worry about you know that don't you?' I said no and she said she had stressed to the receptionist that she was to tell me that. She didn't want me worrying all day. She apologized several times for me not being told that. The results were: the blood tests were perfectly normal, the stool test for blood in it was clear, no blood. The other stool test had something slightly raised, I'm not sure what, something about inflamation I think. It is borderline and nothing to worry about but I have to do another stool test in two weeks time.
    Painkillers (especially aspirin and ibuprofen) alcohol and all sorts can slightly raise Calprotectin levels (I presume that's the other test?) so I wouldn't worry about this.

I would be inclined to leave off painkillers and alcohol for a couple of weeks and see if it affects the result? Or, as your GP has said, it could just be that it's 'your' normal.

Sounds like you have a good GP there.

Hi NoraB, I'm sure the test was the Calprotectin as she mentioned inflammation. I'd not heard of that and stupidly googled it, it said cancer. I don't have any bowel symptoms at the moment not even of IBD. I feel well. I haven't taken any painkillers for ages, and I don't drink, practically teetotal. However I do have glaucoma and have read that the drops i am on can make symptoms worse in people who actuially have IBD. The leaflet does say the drops can cause digestive issues. So don't know if that would have any bearing. I have been on the drops for a number of years but have never had a Calprotectin test before only the blood ones. I was diagnosed with IBS years ago, but don't get many symptoms now, only very occasionally.

My worry now I've read about it is what if the levels have gone up next time. I have to keep telling myself that the doctor said it is nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by chinadoll19 View Post
    Hi NoraB, I'm sure the test was the Calprotectin as she mentioned inflammation. I'd not heard of that and stupidly googled it, it said cancer.
    It's generally associated with gastric disorders like IBD etc and the reason cancer is at the back of the list is because it's the least likely cause - especially if the levels are only slightly raised like yours.

I don't have any bowel symptoms at the moment not even of IBD. I feel well. I haven't taken any painkillers for ages, and I don't drink, practically teetotal. However I do have glaucoma and have read that the drops i am on can make symptoms worse in people who actuially have IBD. The leaflet does say the drops can cause digestive issues.
    Realistically speaking, if you had cancer - you would be having symptoms which would only get worse.

I have to keep telling myself that the doctor said it is nothing to worry about.
    That's because he/she thinks there's nothing to worry about. You're expecting the levels to rise, but they just as easily go back to normal range - which happens all the time..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information