Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Front door

Re: Front door

My daughter liked number 8 so we had the door number thing too...Also we had a load of number stickers on the back of my car..People thought it was code or something out of "A Beautiful Mind" but no...It was just the house numbers of her school friends..

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Me too... I hate plugs and switches!
    Apart from the need to address this properly, perhaps what you need is to replace all your sockets with unswitched ones - then to make sure they're isolated you don't have a switch you can forget but have to physically withdraw the plug from the socket.

Some of us are old enough to remember the old TV closedown message that reminded people to switch off and unplug their television at night!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Apart from the need to address this properly, perhaps what you need is to replace all your sockets with unswitched ones - then to make sure they're isolated you don't have a switch you can forget but have to physically withdraw the plug from the socket.

Some of us are old enough to remember the old TV closedown message that reminded people to switch off and unplug their television at night!!
    I think most TV sets in those days posed a much greater fire hazard because of the internal components used (CRT, thermionic valves, etc), unlike today's sets which are mostly solid state electronics, though still best unplugged whilst away on holiday, etc, as I don't think any electrical appliance is ever 100 per cent safe when left plugged in unattended for lengthy periods.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I think most TV sets in those days posed a much greater fire hazard because of the internal components used (CRT, thermionic valves, etc), unlike today's sets which are mostly solid state electronics, though still best unplugged whilst away on holiday, etc, as I don't think any electrical appliance is ever 100 per cent safe when left plugged in unattended for lengthy periods.
    There were sets back then that genuinely did catch fire. Later on they had to be made of materials that were fire-retardant - I fixed a transistorised black and white for a great-aunt that burnt a huge hole in its circuit board. Some early colour TVs used to catch fire in fault condition and the manufacturer issued what can best be described as a "Davy Lamp" to shield the offending component.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    There were sets back then that genuinely did catch fire. Later on they had to be made of materials that were fire-retardant - I fixed a transistorised black and white for a great-aunt that burnt a huge hole in its circuit board. Some early colour TVs used to catch fire in fault condition and the manufacturer issued what can best be described as a "Davy Lamp" to shield the offending component.
    I know I'm bumping a thread that's a few weeks old now, but I read somewhere that certain TV sets from the Bush brand back in the 70s were particularly problematic and susceptible to catching fire, often earning them the nickname 'Burning Bushes'!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I know I'm bumping a thread that's a few weeks old now, but I read somewhere that certain TV sets from the Bush brand back in the 70s were particularly problematic and susceptible to catching fire, often earning them the nickname 'Burning Bushes'!!
    That's right - the Bush CTV25, their first colour TV. This was the set that had the "Davy Lamp" mod fitted around the line/EHT transformer and associated equipment.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread Information