Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Front door

Re: Front door

Uh Phil, how many threads are you going to start? I think you should just make one big thread called “Phil’s Worries” and leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    People may remember I worried about my letter box as my mum put an envelope through it and I worried it had been near the bin. I ended up getting a new door but it’s been contaminated already as a parcel man has put my neighbours parcel in the wheelie bin and put a slip through the door so now I am worried about that letter box as he never obviously washed his hands so the germs are on the letter box?
    Have I got this right Phil?

On another thread I think you said that you 'think' you have OCD?

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Have I got this right Phil?

On another thread I think you said that you 'think' you have OCD?
    I think he said that he had an OCD diagnosis but that his OCD was "ok" and his worrries were all concentrated on the jab..

Yes, Phil has said he was diagnosed with OCD. But he says he doesn’t suffer much with it and manages it ok.

The problem is, the way Phil manages his OCD is through avoidance and replacement. Neither of these options is managing the OCD. It’s giving into the compulsions and then obsessing over something else. Until Phil is willing to put in the months of hard work, he’s just going to be trapped in this vicious circle with no ending. It has to be awful for him.

Quote Originally Posted by glassgirlw View Post
    Yes, Phil has said he was diagnosed with OCD. But he says he doesn’t suffer much with it and manages it ok.

The problem is, the way Phil manages his OCD is through avoidance and replacement. Neither of these options is managing the OCD. It’s giving into the compulsions and then obsessing over something else. Until Phil is willing to put in the months of hard work, he’s just going to be trapped in this vicious circle with no ending. It has to be awful for him.
    You are correct. I manage it so click and collect these parcels, avoid the area of the floor I think is dirty this is how I manage it. If I could replace the door again I would. I feel quite anxious about parcels coming through the door as all I can think about is bin germs. When my partner goes to the bin she washes her hands so that’s the issue I know some people don’t wash there hands but I don’t think much will change how I feel. I’ve had therapy on this exact issue and very little changed?

Understandable given the times we are in. Of course, you're very safe. According to the office of national statistics, 82.5 is the average mortality rate for the current pandemic so you can rest assured there's little for you to be concerned about. That said, no one wants to get sick because it's no fun at all. You can mitigate the risks by wearing gloves and bleaching the door as this will remove almost all the risk of catching anything.

Still, you should work to address the irrational fear that is misguiding you. Buying a new door is an inappropriate response. You know this. So, try to take control of your thinking by leaning into more construction, meaningful, and enjoyable modes of thinking. Consider activities and hobbies you are passionate about and pursue them. You're a vibrant, charismatic, and important person. Recognise your skills and abilities and set yourself benchmarks for purposeful actions.

There's more to be said.

By all means, reach out on william_taylor@hotmail.co.uk

Happy to discuss it further with you.

I’ve had therapy on this exact issue and very little changed?
    Very little has changed Phil, because you don't put into practice the methods your therapists have tried to get you to do.

Quote Originally Posted by WILLIAMthedude View Post
    Understandable given the times we are in. Of course, you're very safe. According to the office of national statistics, 82.5 is the average mortality rate for the current pandemic so you can rest assured there's little for you to be concerned about. That said, no one wants to get sick because it's no fun at all. You can mitigate the risks by wearing gloves and bleaching the door as this will remove almost all the risk of catching anything.

Still, you should work to address the irrational fear that is misguiding you. Buying a new door is an inappropriate response. You know this. So, try to take control of your thinking by leaning into more construction, meaningful, and enjoyable modes of thinking. Consider activities and hobbies you are passionate about and pursue them. You're a vibrant, charismatic, and important person. Recognise your skills and abilities and set yourself benchmarks for purposeful actions.

There's more to be said.

By all means, reach out on william_taylor@hotmail.co.uk

Happy to discuss it further with you.
    Perhaps giving out your email address on a puclic forum isn't the best idea as you may get allsorts of unwanted emails.... maybe tell people they can PM you if they want to discuss things would be better

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    You are correct. I manage it so click and collect these parcels, avoid the area of the floor I think is dirty this is how I manage it. If I could replace the door again I would. I feel quite anxious about parcels coming through the door as all I can think about is bin germs. When my partner goes to the bin she washes her hands so that’s the issue I know some people don’t wash there hands but I don’t think much will change how I feel. I’ve had therapy on this exact issue and very little changed?
    I don’t mean to downplay that you’ve had therapy because I think that’s fantastic - but just a few sessions here and there and expect the therapist to cure you. Therapy is an interactive activity. You have to put to use the techniques you’re given for months at a time. And be open to trying new techniques, and be willing to change habits. It all ties in together as far as whether therapy will be effective.

I can only base my judgement on past posts you’ve made on this exact issue. And what youve indicated is that you do less than 10 sessions and are continuing the same obsessive behavior between sessions, with no mention of the techniques given to you being attempted. It’s really no wonder therapy hasn’t worked for you yet. You have to be willing and open to change. Until you reach that point there isn’t much anyone here can do to help you over an online forum.

Just my opinion.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information