Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Front door

Re: Front door

Quote Originally Posted by glassgirlw View Post
    I don’t mean to downplay that you’ve had therapy because I think that’s fantastic - but just a few sessions here and there and expect the therapist to cure you. Therapy is an interactive activity. You have to put to use the techniques you’re given for months at a time. And be open to trying new techniques, and be willing to change habits. It all ties in together as far as whether therapy will be effective.

I can only base my judgement on past posts you’ve made on this exact issue. And what youve indicated is that you do less than 10 sessions and are continuing the same obsessive behavior between sessions, with no mention of the techniques given to you being attempted. It’s really no wonder therapy hasn’t worked for you yet. You have to be willing and open to change. Until you reach that point there isn’t much anyone here can do to help you over an online forum.

Just my opinion.

Exactly ^^^

I don’t know how I will get over this I did wipe the letter box down but it’s not reduced my anxiety in any way atall?

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    I don’t know how I will get over this I did wipe the letter box down but it’s not reduced my anxiety in any way atall?
    You have said though that germs really aren’t the issue for you - that it’s more about the item being “tainted”, or no longer “new”. I’m not sure that wiping it down is going to help your thought processes that it’s no longer “new”.

In your past therapy sessions, did you discuss your issue of items becoming tainted and the compulsion to replace them? If so, what types of techniques did the therapist suggest for you?

If you didn’t discuss this in therapy, I’d say you need to find a therapist and get started again.

You have said though that germs really aren’t the issue for you - that it’s more about the item being “tainted”, or no longer “new”. I’m not sure that wiping it down is going to help your thought processes that it’s no longer “new”.

In your past therapy sessions, did you discuss your issue of items becoming tainted and the compulsion to replace them? If so, what types of techniques did the therapist suggest for you?

If you didn’t discuss this in therapy, I’d say you need to find a therapist and get started again.
    Ok a bit of background on it I did lots of work on bins in the CBT. Had ten sessions and stopped so the therapist ignored my emails so I never seen her again. I took a big step to go for more CBT last summer and again after one session they ignored me and never got back to me.

But yes the actual CBT she mentioned touching bins exposure therapy but I explained that doesn’t really appeal. So she worked on trying to make me accept the door does it’s job and it was functional it helped a little and I never replaced the door for a while. Problem is I still click and collected parcels. To make it easier it’s not just the door it’s other things. If someone touches a bin and doesn’t wash there hands that area becomes “forever contaminated”. So for example if you touched my tv remote after touching a bin I would probably dispose of it or not use it. I am not sure if that helps my thinking is sort of distorted. I tried to challenge it and say if hands are cleaned after a bin they are not forever contaminated but objects are. Why is this maybe as I know we of know you can’t replace that but physical objects are easy to replace and I get the new feeling. The therapist said I maybe get a buzz from the new feeling if an item?

But yes the actual CBT she mentioned touching bins exposure therapy but I explained that doesn’t really appeal.
    I understand everything you said. However this one line stuck out to me. “Didn’t really appeal”. Why is that? Does it
    make your anxiety increase? Make you feel uncomfortable? To me, that’s the purpose of exposure therapy. To make us uncomfortable at first, honestly probably the first several times you do it. Eventually the goal is that when you touch a particular item, you no longer react. But this isn’t a fast process. It could take twenty, thirty, a hundred plus, times before you stop reacting negatively. Are you willing to put in that kind of work? Do you want your compulsions to stop that badly? I think you’re the only one that can answer those questions...I personally think you have it in you. We all do. It’s just up to us how willing we are to put in the hard work.

You are correct. I manage it so click and collect these parcels, avoid the area of the floor I think is dirty this is how I manage it. If I could replace the door again I would. I feel quite anxious about parcels coming through the door as all I can think about is bin germs. When my partner goes to the bin she washes her hands so that’s the issue I know some people don’t wash there hands but I don’t think much will change how I feel. I’ve had therapy on this exact issue and very little changed?
    Taking doors off and considering moving house simply to 'alleviate' your contamination issues isn't managing it Phil.

But yes the actual CBT she mentioned touching bins exposure therapy but I explained that doesn’t really appeal.
    Exposure therapy is golden standard when it comes to OCD. It doesn't have to 'appeal' to you. It's what you fear, so it's obviously going to be unpleasant to start with..

So she worked on trying to make me accept the door does it’s job and it was functional it helped a little and I never replaced the door for a while. Problem is I still click and collected parcels. To make it easier it’s not just the door it’s other things. If someone touches a bin and doesn’t wash there hands that area becomes “forever contaminated”. So for example if you touched my tv remote after touching a bin I would probably dispose of it or not use it.
    So, how do you cope with contamination fears when you go on holiday abroad on planes etc?

How do you cope in hotels or self-catering accommodation? Do you take the doors off there? Obviously, you don't - so how do you cope?

One of the many issues I have with going on holiday is that my OCD goes with me and I still do the checking/fire thing - as well as being in a strange place. As a result, I don't like going on holiday due to the stress, but it seems like you do and I'm intrigued as to how this works with your OCD?
    Last edited by NoraB; 05-02-21 at 06:49.

I understand everything you said. However this one line stuck out to me. “Didn’t really appeal”. Why is that? Does it
    make your anxiety increase? Make you feel uncomfortable? To me, that’s the purpose of exposure therapy. To make us uncomfortable at first, honestly probably the first several times you do it. Eventually the goal is that when you touch a particular item, you no longer react. But this isn’t a fast process. It could take twenty, thirty, a hundred plus, times before you stop reacting negatively. Are you willing to put in that kind of work? Do you want your compulsions to stop that badly? I think you’re the only one that can answer those questions...I personally think you have it in you. We all do. It’s just up to us how willing we are to put in the hard work.
    I tried touching areas i found contaminated and I found it a little hard. The anxiety never really went. I tried a few times but as you say maybe it takes more. Nothing bad happened when I touched it but the anxiety i felt was too uncomfortable so I either give items away or wash my hands?

I tried touching areas i found contaminated and I found it a little hard. The anxiety never really went. I tried a few times but as you say maybe it takes more. Nothing bad happened when I touched it but the anxiety i felt was too uncomfortable so I either give items away or wash my hands?
    I think that it makes you uncomfortable means that it’s working. But you can’t give up. You just have to keep doing it no matter how hard it is or how long it takes. Ignore the urge to replace and keep touching the parcels, the bins, the door, etc. Eventually it will be second nature and that urge to replace will be much less.

there isn’t much anyone here can do to help you over an online forum.
    Exactly! F.i.f.t.e.e.n. years.....

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information