Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I did it!

I did it!

I actually did it. I had my hysterectomy on Tuesday. I was terrified and cried the entire time in preop until they gave me something in the IV to calm me. I spent one night in the hospital because I didn't feel totally comfortable going home. I came home yesterday morning and I'm starting to feel a bit better as time passes. I just took a shower, which helped.

My anxiety is acting up a bit about Covid because I woke up in recovery without a mask and never had one on until I was taken to my room for the night. I was still so woozy that it didn't occur to me. Then in my room I didn't wear one because I was sleeping, but many nurses and techs came in and out while I was unmasked and I was touching so many things and eating etc. I've been a covid nut this whole time - gone nowhere, seen no one - so now that all the anesthesia is out of me I'm freaking out! But really, I think my anxiety is just looking for a place to land.

Re: I did it!

Congratulations! So proud of you for going through with it!

Of course you're going to be looking for a reason to feel anxious now, but just think about what you've already achieved!

You've had your hysterectomy and survived and now you're home and have got time to think about all the what if's but....the main thing is that you've gone through with it and the doctors are all very Covid aware and wouldn't have put you at risk at any stage.

No more fibroids and pain, Spring is coming and you are on the road to recovery! If you are able to straighten up to take a shower at this stage you're doing really well!

Well done, Erin!

I was wondering about you this week!!! I’m so glad you’ve had the surgery and can start the recovery process now.

For me, if I’ve been in a heightened state of anxiety for several days it can take me awhile to get all that excess adrenaline out of my system. I’m sure that’s part of what you’re dealing with now. I totally understand your Covid fears though. My grandma had a mild stroke last Thursday, so I was in the ER with her Thursday and in her hospital room with her this weekend, so my mind keeps going to Covid exposure too. I just keep reminding myself that honestly a hospital is probably one of the safest places to be right now in the times of covid - they’re taking so many precautions and testing constantly, plus mask wearing by those able to is mandatory - so the likelihood of actually catching it in the hospital is pretty slim.

best of luck with your recovery and on your journey to being pain free!!

Thanks, friends! I am feeling less anxious now. 5am is my anxiety hour!

I am really proud of myself for actually going through with it! My surgeon was also able to do the whole procedure robotically. She had planned to add a bikini incision to take everything out but once she as in she could open my belly button a bit more because I had an umbilical hernia there and take everything out there! Waking without that incision was really nice!

So, my chickening out in the summer was a good decision. That surgeon would have done a long vertical incision. Now I just have 4 small holes and one slightly larger belly button cut. So the waiting and getting another opinion was for the best! The surgery itself went really well and she said she was shocked to find I had no scar tissue or adhesions from my previous abdominal incision! That meant a lot less manipulation of my other organs and more room for her to work.

I finally started getting some gas out today, which was a worry, so I've hit all the milestones for 2 days post op. I'm scared about the first bowel movement but taking stool softener, eating light, and drinking coffee.

But honestly, it's still almost unbelievable that I actually did it!!

It's good news about passing gas, Erin..It means that things are moving! I went 7 days and it was agony! Saving yourself that big incision is a huge bonus.

Very well done Erin

What a massive thing to get through!

Well done! Yeah... the good drugs really help too

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

That was very brave of you Erin! Wishing you a smooth recovery.

Thanks everyone! I just heard back from my surgeon that everything was benign (as expected, but still a relief). My uterus/fibroids weighed 1133g (2.5lbs)!! A normal uterus weighs 80-100g (0.17-0.22 lbs).

I'm feeling pretty good, getting up and down way better, and managing pain with just 400mg Advil. The human body is amazing!

All the pain I had from the fibroids is gone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information