Thread: Coming off Citalopram..... ugh

Coming off Citalopram..... ugh

Hi everyone I am new here. I’ve dealt with health anxiety for over 10 years now. My main worries over the years have been, various cancers, heart disease, MS, Parkinson’s, Pheo, and ALS. My most prominent symptoms over the years have been

- random anxiety surges, impending doom
    - body aches
    - off balance
    - malaise
    - exhaustion
    - muscle weakness (perceived)
    - loss of coordination
    - frequent urination
    - loose bowels
    - sweats

Approximately 5 years ago due to these daily symptoms I was obsessed with going to the DR. I got extensive blood tests, urine, chest X-rays, EKGs, Echocardiograms, etc. All my tests would come back normal but my symptoms wouldn’t go away so I was obsessed with getting an answer. I REFUSED to give in to accepting that this could be anxiety. These daily horrific symptoms had to be the result of something more sinister. My DR eventually got sick of my regular drop ins and sent me to a psychologist. I was put on 40 mg of Citalopram approx 3 years ago. Whether it helped or not I’m not sure. My symptoms continue’d although not as frequently. On an average month I had about 20 good or ok days, 5 bad days, and 5 terrible days.

Fast forward to 3 months ago. I have brought myself to quit Citalopram going down 10 mg per month until 3 weeks ago where I finally am done. My problem now is my symptoms are now significantly worse than when why is started visiting the Dr so often in the first place. I feel like I am right back where I began. Incredible daily fears of deathly diseases.

My main questions I guess are has anyone dealt with similar symptoms? Citalopram issues coming off? Logic tells me if it’s been 5 years and I’m still living and or not debilitated that I don’t have one of these terrible diseases but the symptoms feel soooo bad and real and I can’t get my mind from obsessing.

Re: Coming off Citalopram..... ugh

Oops this is definitely the wrong forum I put this place in. How do I direct this into the newbie section?

Thanks in advance Mags.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Maglio74 View Post
    I was put on 40 mg of Citalopram approx 3 years ago. Whether it helped or not I’m not sure. My symptoms continue’d although not as frequently. On an average month I had about 20 good or ok days, 5 bad days, and 5 terrible days.
    to NMP,

While total cessation of symptoms isn't always possible, especially for anxiety disorders on the OCD spectrum such as health anxiety, it sounds like citalopram may not have been the most effective antidepressant (AD) for you. Unfortunately, there is no way of predicting which is the best med for an individual. It all comes down to trial and error.

Fast forward to 3 months ago. I have brought myself to quit Citalopram going down 10 mg per month until 3 weeks ago where I finally am done. My problem now is my symptoms are now significantly worse than when why is started visiting the Dr so often in the first place. I feel like I am right back where I began. Incredible daily fears of deathly diseases.
    Which suggests citalopram was having a positive effect though falling short of total control.

My main questions I guess are has anyone dealt with similar symptoms? Citalopram issues coming off? Logic tells me if it’s been 5 years and I’m still living and or not debilitated that I don’t have one of these terrible diseases but the symptoms feel soooo bad and real and I can’t get my mind from obsessing.
    For some anxiety disorders are chronic condition which wax and wane, but never completely go away. You may need to remain medicated. Therapy should also be considered, with or without ADs, if available.

Thread Information