Thread: Not sure if I’m actually depressed or not

Not sure if I’m actually depressed or not

I’m not sure where else to put this or where else to ask. I went to the doctors recently about a health anxiety issue and he asked about my mental well-being and basically asked if I had thought about anti depressants. However I’m not even sure if I’m depressed? I feel like I’m just lying and making myself feel worse by thinking about it all the time. I don’t feel sad only sometimes do I get quite sudden intense episodes of sadness but they go within days and then I’m not sure if my feelings are being content or numb. I can do things for the most part it’s not like I’m unable to get out of bed. How do you know if it’s not just me feeling normal but thinking I’m low?

Re: Not sure if I’m actually depressed or not

"Anti-depressants" are a blanket term for psychotropic medication. While some are more geared for treating depression, they're also used to treat anxiety and other mental health issues.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I also have sudden bouts of sadness, but as you stated, they do pass. I often feel numb as well, I just go with the tide; rather than against the tide - with the flow. Think about Ebb and balance. You can't be happy all the time, hence you can't be sad all the time. Content and numb aren't the same by any stretch ... Content and ease are feeling(s) associated with steady solace; rather the feeling(s) of numbness are often when your emotions well up and deaden your senses. Try to (figuratively) step away form you situation sometimes when your anxiety has you questioning whether or not your depressed, because the worry can easily become A self-fulfilling prophecy if the cycle isn't interrupted/broken. Be careful with the word "Normal" - it 'in and of itself' (often) leads to disappointment and uncertainty.
    Last edited by Scissel73; 07-02-21 at 02:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissel73 View Post
    I also have sudden bouts of sadness, but as you stated, they do pass. I often feel numb as well, I just go with the tide; rather than against the tide - with the flow. Think about Ebb and balance. You can't be happy all the time, hence you can't be sad all the time. Content and numb aren't the same by any stretch ... Content and ease are feeling(s) associated with steady solace; rather the feeling(s) of numbness are often when your emotions well up and deaden your senses. Try to (figuratively) step away form you situation sometimes when your anxiety has you questioning whether or not your depressed, because the worry can easily become A self-fulfilling prophecy if the cycle isn't interrupted/broken. Be careful with the word "Normal" - it 'in and of itself' (often) leads to disappointment and uncertainty.
    How do you know when you’re feeling right though? I’ve felt like this since my health anxiety started when I was 11( other issues involved but yeah)but at least during my teen years it was easy to identify. Now at 22 I’m not even sure what I enjoy or feel so I guess that’s what I’m asking.I’m in therapy I do all the things they say but I don’t feel any different so what if this is normal or doing well? It’s giving me anxiety to think of taking a medicine I don’t need and That I’m just lying about not even doing well for no reason. I’ve got stuck in a loop of trying to see if I feel things or if I feel sad to the point I’ve made myself feel odd.

I'm going to give this more thought today and hopefully return with more. Chin up

For now: we'll go with your phrasing "How do you know when you’re feeling right." Of course the flip side of the coin would be, how do you know when you're feeling wrong. Since you were 11? I don't think I was ever "Right" or "Normal" LOL. All kidding aside, I realize what you're asking. When you say you don't feel any different, ask yourself what are you expecting [unrealistic expectations] from therapy. I've been in therapy practically all my life (I"m 47) and sometimes I also question why I don't feel like a million bucks by now when I've no doubt paid them about that much ... :-) Anxiety and panic can have us questioning everything, when perhaps we are overthinking things and less appreciating our experiences, thus steeling our own joy. Its easy to get stuck in that loop if not interrupted by changing your pattern(s) as soon as you recognize them starting. When you catch yourself questioning whether or not your "Right" / "Wrong" / "Normal" / "Abnormal" / "Odd" (no human is any of those btw), recognize that this is your anxiety and I recommend distraction to avoid going down the rabbit hole, because you don't deserve to cause yourself distress. Every day is not the same and you can't expect to feel the same every day; I know I don't. Life is a dance. You aren't odd, you're human, we try our best and keep going. Be well.

I think you’re right and if I was thinking rationally or felt better I would agree. I do probably have unrealistic expectations but sometimes it feels very exhausting and a massive Let down to think I can pay all this money for me to just be able to manage the numb or the panic better,especially since this has been happening since I was a child. I’m stuck in therapy because I don’t know how to get to that place of “moving with the tide” like you said because all I feel is angry that I have to even be here in the first place. I know normal isn’t the right word and I shouldn’t use it but I can’t help feel sorry for myself that I can’t be one of those “normal people” who doesn’t question everything they ever feel or think. I try and do the techniques but my counsellor says I use distraction too much so now I’m just stuck.

Rational thinking vs Critical thinking - as humans, we (all) have the tendencies to become irrational at times, but I can see you recognize this (if you felt better / better frame of mind) - that is a great realization. Excellent! If you have a good therapist, they will 'guide' you to improve your coping skills re panic and anxiety. I comes down to (radical) acceptance, once you realize this, you will begin to move with the tide. Fighting against the tide is exhausting and only holds you back and inhibits growth. I understand though; truthfully. However, anger turned at own self is unhealthy to our psyche. Frustration over your circumstances in understandable. Yes, wouldn't it be nice to not have to manage crap that others (may or may not) take for granted - I like that you put "normal people" in quotes. Ahh .. bliss. Distraction techniques are helpful to break cycles and patterns, nonetheless, you still have to work on better understanding the root cause(s) of you worry to better manage your reaction(s). It is a process, that myself, and presumably many of us here, are indeed a work in progress. That being said .. if you discover a way to abolish numb; please do let me know as it unpleasant to say the least and I know it all too well. Perhaps other members will have advice for you, as well.

a professional psychiatrist can evaluate your situation. that's what you have to do for sure . but the fact that you are asking this question either means you are over thinking it or you are suffering from anxiety. although this is my very personal opinion bases on my personal experiences and can be -probably is- wrong...
    Last edited by why_anxious; 14-02-21 at 12:58.

I think I was overthinking it. I am going to try medication along with therapy

Thread Information