Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: HIDA Scan tomorrow for possible Gallbladder issues

Re: HIDA Scan tomorrow for possible Gallbladder issues

Update: after talking with my GP about my GI concerns, I managed to snag an earlier appointment. I now have an appointment with a GI doc scheduled for the 26th. Yay!

Another update: Slightly over a week into this liquid only diet and I feel better than I have in months. My nails still look the same, but a lot of the other issues I've been having besides the back pain have gone away. My hands and feet aren't super cold, I no longer have tingling/burning sensations all over my body, and I am no longer getting aches in the beds of my nails. I feel less achy and sore in general; it's great. At this point, I think I wasn't getting enough nutrients as a result of poor food choices and the fact that I wasn't eating enough due to pain. The Ensure that I am taking has 25% of all vitamins and minerals you need in each drink, so I think that that might be why I am feeling so much better. Not being in pain helps too.

That’s all very positive. Pleased you will see someone next week too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eh, actually they had to cancel that appointment, so I'm back to waiting till June 1st unfortunately. Oh well.

Update: Just had my appointment with my GI! She says based on my symptoms (the fact that pain flares soon after eating) and elevated amylase and lipase, that it definitely sounds that there is something functionally wrong with one of the upper GI tract organs, maybe with the upper part of the small intestine, the gallbladder, or the pancreas (which is what I thought too). She said that cancer is unlikely given that my CT scan with contrast came back normal.

Currently, she wants me to have an upper endoscopy done to rule out Celiacs, Duodenal ulcers/H. pylori, etc. She also wants me to get an MRCP done to get a closer look at my pancreas, since it could be that I have a functional issue like pancreas divisum that would cause intermittent pain. At first she wanted me to have a CT scan for the pancreas, but after I had told her I had already had one and that my symptoms have been going on for much longer than that, she said it was unlikely that it would catch anything new, so she discarded that and recommended MRCP instead.

If all of these tests come back normal or relatively normal, she says that it is most likely my gallbladder that is causing my issues (even though the HIDA scan and CT were normal?), and that I should get scheduled with a surgeon to get it removed. So maybe I'll be pain-free someday! Yay. I'm just worried that they are going to take it out and find that it wasn't what was causing my pain, given that my HIDA scan and CT were normal.

I am worried that it might be Sphincter of Oddi that is causing the pain, so I asked her. She said that if that was the case, I would have Sphincter of Oddi type 3, which would be the worst to have since it is not treatable by Sphincterotomy, and instead would be a chronic condition I would have to manage with prescription pain meds. Also, apparently gallbladder removal can make Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction worse, so I am a bit worried about that.

Well it all sounds fairy positive & she sounds like she knows what she’s talking about.
    Let her do the doctoring & you just concentrate on not trying to find new things it could be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How has everything been going for you? Have you gotten any answers or feeling any better?

Sorry for the late reply Az, sadly I am not feeling completely better, although the liquid diet did help. No, I have not gotten any answers yet, although I do have an MRCP tomorrow and then an endoscopy on July 8th. If these come back normal, they are going to assume gallbladder and schedule me with a surgeon to get it removed.

Update: Sorry for the late update, I've not been in the best mindset for posting lately. I've got a lot of stuff going on, including keeping track of a paraplegic turtle that we named Sheka (and also I got a job which will be starting soon-- I'm a bit nervous for that, I want to do well). I got the MRCP results yesterday and they were normal (Yay! No major issues with my Pancreas) and am now waiting to get the Endoscopy, which will probably also be normal. Then it's off to a surgeon for gallbladder removal.

I don't know if this is important, but in case anyone ever finds this thread and wonders if they too might have a similar issue to what I am having, my pain type has changed since my last attack. Before, it was a severed burning pain felt mostly in my right back below my right shoulder blade or in-between my shoulder blades. This pain lasted half an hour to an hour or so max. The new pain that I am having is a much more dull, "full" type pain that is much more present in my front right abdomen right below my ribs and sometimes in the epigastric (center of abdomen) region. This pain usually lasts much longer than the burning pain, between 3 to 12 hours at a time. Both types of pain start either immediately after eating or a couple hours later, especially in the evening or at night.

If I fast, I have no pain, which points to it being related to GI issues.

Hi how are you doing now? Did you ever get your final results?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information