Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skeptical. Advice?

Skeptical. Advice?

Hi all,

I can see things slowly move back into some normality. But I want to ask, what is stopping the numbers topping again when people are no longer locked down?

I watched a video where Bill Gates said the worst is still to come: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDjQ8ivwbCU

I'm not stirring the pot or anything. I avoid this place. I just don't know what any of this means. The past 3 times I've seen a drop, then a huge rise. Why is this time any different?

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: Skeptical. Advice?

I'm guessing that vaccination is going to be the key, and that the numbers will continue going up until we've reached a certain baseline of people with immunity. That said, I don't really follow the news that closely.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    I'm guessing that vaccination is going to be the key, and that the numbers will continue going up until we've reached a certain baseline of people with immunity. That said, I don't really follow the news that closely.
    Me neither. I hear the wife tell me tidbits but I don't follow. It's better for my mental health

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

It seems almost unbelievable to read that lockdown may be lifted so soon with words of back to normal by the summer. I think most of us take that with a pinch of salt and wary will be the operative word.
    They are no where near their vaccination target with many over 70s still waiting for what they now call a jab.
    The goalposts move all the time as does the statistics.
    I know I've lost trust in the whole situation and so will many others.

It seems that any bad news is always countered with the "what a wonderful job we are doing with the vaccine" argument.

I think many people will just believe things when they actually happen now. None of the politicians, scientists, virologists ,epidemiologists and soothsayers have a crystal ball. They can pontificate all they like but they don't know.

pontificate

Today I learned a new word Thanks pulisa.

☪️️

You have to keep in mind Bill Gates isn't trying to get elected or sell newspapers, he can say it how he see's it, which some times may be unpalatable to the public.

The scientists have been expecting this type of pandemic for a while, we have a few false starts with Swine flu, SARS etc, most of the science community thought a pandemic was inevitable. We have the greatest freedom to move about the world we ever have, most of the communist states have gone and some are reasonably well off and their population can afford to travel outside the country. Even the last bastion of the communist block, China allows its citizens to travel.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Hi all,

I can see things slowly move back into some normality. But I want to ask, what is stopping the numbers topping again when people are no longer locked down?

I watched a video where Bill Gates said the worst is still to come: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDjQ8ivwbCU

I'm not stirring the pot or anything. I avoid this place. I just don't know what any of this means. The past 3 times I've seen a drop, then a huge rise. Why is this time any different?
    A good analogy is to imagine a forest fire. So long as there’s trees in its path, it’ll burn. It’ll keep spreading and burning all in its path. There are two ways to stop a forest fire. Put it out or remove the trees from its path. We are the trees, the fire is the virus.

So far, we haven’t had the required medication to put it out, so we’ve removed ourselves from its path by locking down. Lift the lockdown, back comes the fuel, and away goes that fire burning again.

With vaccines, we now have a way to put it out. Until we manage to get enough vaccine, though, we must try to keep ourselves out of its way. We just need to hope that these vaccines are as effective as trials have shown, if they are then eventually there won’t be any fuel left to burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    A good analogy is to imagine a forest fire. So long as there’s trees in its path, it’ll burn. It’ll keep spreading and burning all in its path. There are two ways to stop a forest fire. Put it out or remove the trees from its path. We are the trees, the fire is the virus.

So far, we haven’t had the required medication to put it out, so we’ve removed ourselves from its path by locking down. Lift the lockdown, back comes the fuel, and away goes that fire burning again.

With vaccines, we now have a way to put it out. Until we manage to get enough vaccine, though, we must try to keep ourselves out of its way. We just need to hope that these vaccines are as effective as trials have shown, if they are then eventually there won’t be any fuel left to burn.
    I think the govt are only speculating on different scenarios concerning the phasing out of our current restrictions right now with 'ifs' and 'mights', but nothing is set in stone right now and it still very much remains a 'wait and see' situation, at least until the latter half of this month, when we will all hopefully have a much clearer picture on how the situation is playing out.

At least the R-rate has edged down this week, and this week's ONS stats are also trending downwards.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Hi all,

Has anyone read all the comments on this? Its a seething mass of CTers, all spitting venom at the devil himself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information