Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Controversial pop songs that hardly anyone talks about nowadays

Controversial pop songs that hardly anyone talks about nowadays

With all the perennial furore over the festive classic 'Fairytale Of New York' and its line containing the 'other' F-bomb, coupled with the 'novelty' hit during the recent festive season that insulted our current PM with F and C-bombs in its title, which ironically hardly anyone batted an eyelid over AFAIK (not even the Tory 'flakes), I have been thinking about other pop hits that were fairly big upon their original release (some even reaching Number 1) that now barely ever seem to be mentioned and seemingly forgotten.

Some of such songs I have in mind;

'S**t On You' and 'Purple Pills' by D-12 (both 2001). The latter's title was changed to 'Purple Hills' for the radio airplay version IIRC.

'Because I Got High' by Afroman (2001)

'F**k It (I Want You Back)' by Eamon, followed by 'F.U.R.B' by Eamon's then-partner Franker (both 2004)

'F**k Forever' by Babyshambles (2005)

'F**kin' Perfect' by P!nk and 'Tonight (I'm F**king You) by Enrique Igleseus (both 2011).

Can anyone think of any more (past to present)?

Re: Controversial pop songs that hardly anyone talks about nowadays

Puff The Magic Dragon (1962)

Banned because radio stations thought Puff was the original Puff Daddy.

Sing it with me now!

Puff the magic dragon lived by the sea
    He puffed all day on a massive spliff
    In a land called Honah Lee..

My Generation - The Who (1965)

Frequently censored due to Roger Daltrey's stuttering being considered offensive to people with a speech impediment.

11 years later the BBC commissioned Open all Hours with the legendary 'Arkwright'.

Granville, f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-etch a cloth!

The Kinks ~ Lola (1971)

Banned. Not because 'my Lola' was packing a penis, but because the song mentions Coca Cola.

Donna Summer ~ Love to Love You Baby (1975)

BBC refused to play it - something to do with sexual ecstasy sounds?

Apparently, Giorgio Moroder sent everybody out of the recording studio, turned the lights off, and left Donna to get on with it.

This was one of my parents record of choice for their 'Saturday nights' after a take-away and a bottle of Blue Nun. Joan Collins in The Stud or The B1tch on VHS ( £40 for a video in those days) and instructions for us kids not to come downstairs unless it's a life or death situation.

I like this thread Len!

Just thought of another two from 1984
    (now I've got the 21st Century ones done).

'Master And Servant' by Depeche Mode.

'Madame Butterfly' by Malcolm Maclaren.

But both overshadowed by the hoo-ha over FGTH's 'Relax' earlier that year, which Mike Read kicking up a fuss over and the subsequent BBC airplay ban ironically helped send it to Number 1 and inadvertently turned it into a million seller!

There is one I remember Marianne Faithfull’s ~”Why’d Ya Do It”
    The lyrics are filthy and no radio station would play it,it’s off the album Broken English.

Another is Eve of Destruction, radio stations wouldn’t play it as it was controversial in the 60’s but is played regular today.
    It is so relevant today

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    There is one I remember Marianne Faithfull’s ~”Why’d Ya Do It”
    The lyrics are filthy and no radio station would play it,it’s off the album Broken English.

Another is Eve of Destruction, radio stations wouldn’t play it as it was controversial in the 60’s but is played regular today.
    It is so relevant today
    Sorry to sound pedantic, but I also meant likewise songs that hardly ever get played on the radio or in public anymore, let alone discussed.

Just remembered 'Sexy MF' by Prince (1992), when he first started to be known under that 'Symbol' pseudonym.

And this was approximately 3 years before the 'Parental Advisory/Explicit' stickers on the front face of CD packaging started to become mandatory in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Just thought of another two from 1984
    (now I've got the 21st Century ones done).

'Master And Servant' by Depeche Mode.

'Madame Butterfly' by Malcolm Maclaren.

But both overshadowed by the hoo-ha over FGTH's 'Relax' earlier that year, which Mike Read kicking up a fuss over and the subsequent BBC airplay ban ironically helped send it to Number 1 and inadvertently turned it into a million seller!
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood Relax should still be banned today. It's disgusting!

Quote Originally Posted by BikerMatt View Post
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood Relax should still be banned today. It's disgusting!
    A walk in the park compared to a lot of the filth currently plaguing the charts, especially much of the gangsta-rap stuff, almost all of which is littered with F-bombs!

And I'm no real prude either.

I just think it's a real shame that the entertainment business in general feels more compelled than ever before to rely on shock value and pushing everything to the max. It's as if producers simply can't be bothered anymore.

I know many often say 'art reflects reality' but surely it should also provide some kind of light relief and escapism, rather than constantly reflecting and glamorising the seedier side of life today.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    A walk in the park compared to a lot of the filth currently plaguing the charts, especially much of the gangsta-rap stuff, almost all of which is littered with F-bombs!

And I'm no real prude either.

I just think it's a real shame that the entertainment business in general feels more compelled than ever before to rely on shock value and pushing everything to the max. It's as if producers simply can't be bothered anymore.

I know many often say 'art reflects reality' but surely it should also provide some kind of light relief and escapism, rather than constantly reflecting and glamorising the seedier side of life today.
    It's the video to Relax that is disgusting, probably more than the words. I certainly wouldn't let my child watch something so disgusting and to think that it could be shown anytime.

One from my early youth that was pretty controversial for the day....

Walk on the Wild Side - Lou Reed

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information