Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New Laptop Advice?

Re: New Laptop Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post

That's the same one.

Pulisa, the one you linked to is basically the same, but with a more powerful version of the graphics chip, which you don't really need.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Wow that looks nice. Might you want more than 8GB though? I'm thinking about taking a look at this one for myself. Thanks!

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/aspire5

No dvd/cd drive? Oh I gotta have that. There's still a lot out there with it. At least here in the US.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8440710

My daughter likes this one as well

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    Wow that looks nice. Might you want more than 8GB though? I'm thinking about taking a look at this one for myself. Thanks!

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/aspire5
    Thanks-this one looks really good too!

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8440710

My daughter likes this one as well
    Very similar to the one I linked to. Your one has slightly faster CPU (all round performance), my one has much faster GPU (gaming performance). Both are upgradeable.

I would still push towards the faster GPU as you cannot upgrade this particular component in any laptops, and is the most likely part that will cause issues for future gaming....IF it's important to your daughter.

Both will run the Sims just fine for now though.

Your choice is definitely the superior model, Joe. I know my daughter won't be making any decision in a hurry because she is terrified of making a "mistake" and it's a major expenditure for her. She will study every review meticulously and will be thrown into doubt if there is one negative comment out of a hundred opinions.

You and everyone else have really helped me and we have narrowed the search right down now. The MSI one is the best choice but it's down to her at the end of the day.

Thank you so much for all your help and expert advice!

Your choice is definitely the superior model, Joe. I know my daughter won't be making any decision in a hurry because she is terrified of making a "mistake" and it's a major expenditure for her. She will study every review meticulously and will be thrown into doubt if there is one negative comment out of a hundred opinions.

You and everyone else have really helped me and we have narrowed the search right down now. The MSI one is the best choice but it's down to her at the end of the day.

Thank you so much for all your help and expert advice!
    Mine isn't necessarily superior, it's just better slanted towards the kind of thing that's more difficult to upgrade down the line (impossible in the case of a laptop). The one you listed is more or less equivalent apart from that one criteria, and actually slightly better for CPU so you could call them round about evens.

Tell your daughter this is a sweet spot in terms of price/performance. There is no 'mistake' in choosing either, and I can't see a way of getting more for your money in terms of what her usage requirements are. They both have an easy 5 years plus of life in them as they can both be upgraded in terms of RAM and hard drive space.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Mine isn't necessarily superior, it's just better slanted towards the kind of thing that's more difficult to upgrade down the line (impossible in the case of a laptop). The one you listed is more or less equivalent apart from that one criteria, and actually slightly better for CPU so you could call them round about evens.

Tell your daughter this is a sweet spot in terms of price/performance. There is no 'mistake' in choosing either, and I can't see a way of getting more for your money in terms of what her usage requirements are. They both have an easy 5 years plus of life in them as they can both be upgraded in terms of RAM and hard drive space.

That's reassuring to know. I'm very grateful for all your input because I'd have been floundering otherwise and it's not easy when you have to choose a laptop online with zero knowledge!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information