Thread: Need help diazepam taper while depressed

Need help diazepam taper while depressed

Hi I have been dependent on 10mg diazepam for 2 years now I first used it for anxiety/insomnia but it’s not working for either now without me increasing the dose .. a year ago I was then prescribed pregabalin to help with the withdrawal but have never managed it as am to scared of the withdrawal effects I read on benzo.org so now dependant on 2 meds both of which are not helping my anxiety or depression that I have no developed!! It’s so hard to taper being depressed and having anxiety I was going to add another med to help Escitalopram while I withdraw as maybe a long term plan but have herd benzo stop ssri from working properly due to blocking neurogenesis? What would be the fastest way I could come off diazepam from 10mg a day? I would also like to kick the pregabalin also but prefer to do one at a time. I’m really confused as to what to do I want off diazepam pregabalin but do I add another drug but be stuck on 3 drugs when only ever intended on taken one for long term. Can anyone please help would be much appreciated and your welcome to ask any questions. Thank you 🙏

Re: Need help diazepam taper while depressed

Quote Originally Posted by JMB123 View Post
    Hi I have been dependent on 10mg diazepam for 2 years now I first used it for anxiety/insomnia but it’s not working for either now without me increasing the dose .. a year ago I was then prescribed pregabalin to help with the withdrawal but have never managed it as am to scared of the withdrawal effects I read on benzo.org
    to NMP,

Sigh! This is why I'm not a fan of the site, or its guru. We have a long history, beginning more than 20 years ago when they first started as a Yahoo group. Finally, got sick of trying to correct the nonsense they were spouting and stopped reading it. They've improved a bit since I notice, but I would still advise taking anything they claim with a large shovel full of salt.

In particular try and ignore all the horror claims. Weaning off benzodiazepines (BZDs) isn't always a walk in the park, but it also isn't as bad as the cultists would have you believe. Also be aware that not all the withdrawal issues are necessarily down to the med. Psychology plays a big part in this, arguably the biggest part. Believe you are going to suffer greatly and an anxious mind is very capable of delivering the full melodrama to you in widescreen Technicolor complete with Dolby surround sound. This has apparently already had some effect on you triggered by what you've read on that site.

so now dependant on 2 meds both of which are not helping my anxiety or depression that I have no developed!!
    It’s so hard to taper being depressed and having anxiety I was going to add another med to help Escitalopram while I withdraw
    Getting the depression under control is a good first move. Leave weaning off the diazepam until escitalopram is working well for you. It is never a good idea to change two meds at the same time as it becomes impossible to determine which is causing a problem.

as maybe a long term plan but have herd benzo stop ssri from working properly due to blocking neurogenesis?
    BZDs do inhibit how antidepressants (ADs) work, however, the better news is that pregabalin reverses this to some extent (Vallente MM, 2012; Lempel AA, 2016) which should increase the chances of escitalopram working though you might need a higher dose than usual for optimum results.

What would be the fastest way I could come off diazepam from 10mg a day?
    There is fast and often difficult, or slow and relatively easy. The best outcomes usually come from a long slow taper which will likely take 6 months plus.

I would also like to kick the pregabalin also but prefer to do one at a time.
    As per as above, there is an advantage to taking pregabalin so leave that until after you're off diazepam.

I’m really confused as to what to do I want off diazepam pregabalin but do I add another drug but be stuck on 3 drugs when only ever intended on taken one for long term.
    There is a definite advantage in getting the depression under control so that would be my priority. Another few months on diazepam and pregabalin won't make much difference.

Thread Information