Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stung By Brexit

Re: Stung By Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Yeah, that always annoys me. It's why on Amazon I read some of the reviews for signs it's really coming from China and won't turn up when they say.

Nature of the world that you can often make it, store it, ship it, etc from the other side of the planet for less, and sometimes quicker, than in another part of the UK. But we should at least be aware and decide to purchase.

Glad you at least haven't been hit by taxes like some are.
    I guess that's one notable manifestation of our 'want here, want now' society, also where we not only want 'instant grat', but also nearly everything as cheaply as possible, then complain of poor quality products and say 'They don't make 'em like they used to'!

I think many people struggle to grasp the age-old concept of 'you get what you pay for'.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I guess that's one notable manifestation of our 'want here, want now' society, also where we not only want 'instant grat', but also nearly everything as cheaply as possible, then complain of poor quality products and say 'They don't make 'em like they used to'!

I think many people struggle to grasp the age-old concept of 'you get what you pay for'.
    Yes! Completely agree. My partner just had some Amazon deliveries and it's cheap tat. They're going back. I do try to warn her that the cheap items are not as good as they seem. Does she listen? Nope ha ha.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Yes! Completely agree. My partner just had some Amazon deliveries and it's cheap tat. They're going back. I do try to warn her that the cheap items are not as good as they seem. Does she listen? Nope ha ha.
    I reckon we're also increasingly a 'know-it-all' society where a lot of us don't really live in the real world and have too high expectations of nearly everyone and everything.

Also a lot of the 'cheap tat' items are basically 'brand in name only' (BINO) products where the logo of a historical and usually once-reputable brand name is 'badged' onto the items, which in most instances are produced in some nameless Far Eastern factory on the cheap and bear no relationship to the original firms in question.

For example, about 5 years ago I purchased a DVD player (also intended for playing audio CDs on) from B&M that was badged as Akai, who were once a reputable Japanese manufacturer of audio-visual equipment, and it was far removed from the genuine 'quality' products Akai actually manufactured themselves during their 70s and 80s heyday, and of course the rear sticker bore the words 'Made in China', which kind of gave good clues to the fact that it was a cheap and nasty BINO product with a historical name badge on the front.

Hence why I no longer refer to brand names as 'makes' anymore!

Also a lot of the 'cheap tat' items are basically 'brand in name only' (BINO) products where the logo of a historical and usually once-reputable brand name is 'badged' onto the items, which in most instances are produced in some nameless Far Eastern factory on the cheap and bear no relationship to the original firms in question.
    Been going on for years: I give you, to name but two, Grundig and Bush.

Akai still exist in the music production arena, and their products went downhill. They originally made samplers and drum machines and they were good. They still are. But all their new stuff is tat. Cheap plastic. The devices now require a computer which is counter productive as you generally buy a sampler or drum machine to get away from a computer. They have made a new drum machine that doesn't require a PC, but it's nothing like the originals.

Todays products are not meant to last 20 years. Which stinks. I know somebody with an original Hotpoint fridge from years back. 50's I think. It's huge, built like a tank and still works! He inherited it, and didn't know it's value until recently but it's in use today

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Been going on for years: I give you, to name but two, Grundig and Bush.
    Don't forget Alba.

Remember Tandy stores? I miss them.

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Don't forget Alba.

Remember Tandy stores? I miss them.
    Yes, a real blast from the past!

Kind of like earlier Maplin's who as you know (like many old name stores) had become a pale shadow of their former selves by the mid-2010s, then eventually going bust for good in March 2018.

Going back to Tandy (who co-traded as Radio Shack in the USA), I significantly remember their battery-powered electronics kits (from their in-house 'Science Fair' brand), especially the original '50 In One' set that was first introduced around 1980 that I had for Christmas in 1982 (when I was 5 1/2).

I bet such a set fully intact with all original parts and components present (and in full working order) will be a mega collector's item today and worth a fair bit on Ebay, etc.

Going back to Tandy (who co-traded as Radio Shack in the USA), I significantly remember their battery-powered electronics kits (from their in-house 'Science Fair' brand), especially the original '50 In One' set that was first introduced around 1980 that I had for Christmas in 1982 (when I was 5 1/2).

I bet such a set fully intact with all original parts and components present (and in full working order) will be a mega collector's item today and worth a fair bit on Ebay, etc.
    You ought to see how much the Philips Electronic Engineer kits (e.g. EE1050, 1051, 1052) sell for on eBay...

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    You ought to see how much the Philips Electronic Engineer kits (e.g. EE1050, 1051, 1052) sell for on eBay...
    Amazin' innit how many things that were considered old hat and mostly useless even 10 years ago are now once again highly prized and sought after!

Especially vinyl record players and now even analogue audio tape recording gear of all varieties (cassettes, RTR, 8-track cartridges, you name them), plus the mediums themselves (vinyl records and tapes) of course.

Amazin' innit how many things that were considered old hat and mostly useless even 10 years ago are now once again highly prized and sought after!

Especially vinyl record players and now even analogue audio tape recording gear of all varieties (cassettes, RTR, 8-track cartridges, you name them), plus the mediums themselves (vinyl records and tapes) of course.
    I remember a time when things like Dansettes were given to me to pull to bits and play with.

Now a restored original one of these portable record players can fetch £400+ and more to the point, I wouldn't let any of my records near them... Dansettes especially are truly horrid things but they ride the nostalgia wave.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information