Thread: Fear of having beeb exposed in ER

Fear of having beeb exposed in ER

So, losing it a bit here. After pretty successfully shielding for the past 10 months (I have asthma), I had to go to ER on Monday (back problem that had to be looked at, GP on holiday ) and I'm completely paranoid about potentially having caught COVID there. Staff assured me that COVID patients were not in the same part of the hospital, but how would they know in ER? I had to wait around a lot and was there for 3 hrs. It was very quiet and for the first 90 minutes I was completely alone in a room (open window). So far, so ok. But then another lady was brought in (another back problem, funnily enough, people clearly are very tense). She was on the other side of the room. Everyone was masked up, me with a K95 mask. Only some whispering with hospital staff and mostly lying around, no physical activity. But I still feel like it was a massive mistake to stay in that room for 3 hrs. I'm quite upset that I was forced to do this and now really struggle with the thought of getting through the next couple of weeks. Any reassurance?

Re: Fear of having beeb exposed in ER

It's very, very unlikely. It sounds like you were really far away from other people, and you were wearing masks. And that's if they had it in the first place!

Hospitals are cleaned very well and lots of precautions are taken.

Of course, its important to take the precautions that you have, but this was an essential outing. People have done much more risky things and not got covid (I'm obviously not saying that that's ok, just stressing how unlikely it is that you've caught it).

Most people have had to do something that makes them uncomfortable during this time, most people haven't caught it.

Try to relax, keep yourself safe but know that the chances of you catching it are very very remote.

I thought this thread was to do with anxiety about the BBC being exposed over some Covid-related scandal at first, but then noticed it was a typo that should have instead read 'been'!

No offence intended though.

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethalice View Post
    It's very, very unlikely. It sounds like you were really far away from other people, and you were wearing masks. And that's if they had it in the first place!

Hospitals are cleaned very well and lots of precautions are taken.

Of course, its important to take the precautions that you have, but this was an essential outing. People have done much more risky things and not got covid (I'm obviously not saying that that's ok, just stressing how unlikely it is that you've caught it).

Most people have had to do something that makes them uncomfortable during this time, most people haven't caught it.

Try to relax, keep yourself safe but know that the chances of you catching it are very very remote.
    Thank you for this! I guess after 10 months being i a room with a stranger for so long just felt completely wrong. Not helped by the fact that I have massive health anxiety anyway and hospitals are one of the places I fear most. I will try to be more rational about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I thought this thread was to do with anxiety about the BBC being exposed over some Covid-related scandal at first, but then noticed it was a typo that should have instead read 'been'!

No offence intended though.
    Haha, I knoooow! I saw the typo but couldn't figure out how to change the title without reposting. So just left it, because it's kind of funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Lushchicken View Post
    Haha, I knoooow! I saw the typo but couldn't figure out how to change the title without reposting. So just left it, because it's kind of funny.
    That's OK then.

Quote Originally Posted by Lushchicken View Post
    Thank you for this! I guess after 10 months being i a room with a stranger for so long just felt completely wrong. Not helped by the fact that I have massive health anxiety anyway and hospitals are one of the places I fear most. I will try to be more rational about this.
    I can certainly relate to this. I spent all morning with my grandma in the ER a couple weeks ago. Turns out she had a a mild stroke. Then I spent most of the day a couple days later sitting in her hospital room.

It was for sure strange. We’ve been conditioned over the last year to stay away from those outside our bubble so sitting in a room where any number of nurses and doctors were coming in and out repeatedly felt so weird. Even conversing with them felt strange. Made me wonder if there will be lingering psychological effects from all this once it’s deemed “safe” again.

that being said - they were constantly wiping down and disinfecting things in the ER and hospital. They also have special air ventilation systems to turn the air over more. And I chose to wear two masks lol. Anyway - it’s been two weeks now and knock on wood, no Covid for me as a result. And grandma is improving too. I count it as a win all around! I think hospitals are some of the safer places to be right now.

I had a visit from my brother and his girlfriend yesterday. I didn't ask them to come, they were passing on their way to Ikea. He dropped my xmas presents off from my mom.

My mom is recovering from COVID. He lives in the same house as her. He shouldn't have been here, but he's done his isolation days so I guess he's followed the law.

But as you can imagine I was a little worried I've been exposed. My mom said in a laughing voice "If you're going to get it, it's best you get it from me".

If I can have an excuse to lounge in bed for a week I'll take it

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

That is so good to hear and I'm glad you and your grandma are ok! We really shouldn't avoid getting health care in this dreadful time, so I am glad that I went. Even though it was strange and scary to be properly in contact with people again, it was also... kind of nice? The doctors and nurses were very gentle and caring. It felt kind of good to interact with them.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I had a visit from my brother and his girlfriend yesterday. I didn't ask them to come, they were passing on their way to Ikea. He dropped my xmas presents off from my mom.

My mom is recovering from COVID. He lives in the same house as her. He shouldn't have been here, but he's done his isolation days so I guess he's followed the law.

But as you can imagine I was a little worried I've been exposed. My mom said in a laughing voice "If you're going to get it, it's best you get it from me".

If I can have an excuse to lounge in bed for a week I'll take it
    It's so hard with family, isn't it? Completely counterintuitive to stay away from them, as you really crave being around them (if you have a good relationship).

Thread Information