Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Als worry going out of my mind

Als worry going out of my mind

I feel really stupid writing this but I have suffered all my life with health anxiety but been fine for a good while now , 3 weeks ago my friend was diagnosed with mnd since then I have obviously googled what it was as didn’t really no much about it and since then I have had a twitch that won’t go away above my nose and In other parts of the body and now I feel like I am slurring some words and numb around the mouth I have asked friends if I sound different but they say no the same but feel I can’t pronounce some words properly and find myself reading paragraphs and struggling with some words , I’m so confused to if I should be worrying about mnd or if health anxiety can really cause all these symptoms , because I haven’t been hyperventilating or having attacks I have just been thinking and googling a lot

Re: Als worry going out of my mind

If you look through the threads, you'll see you're definitely not alone and you definitely don't have anything medically wrong, just like everyone else that posts about this fear.

Read THIS as often as you need to.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Read through that for the last couple of days and it says speech can be the first thing to to start slurring so it didn’t really help :(

Anyone else who has maybe had these symptoms or can explain more how anxiety actually is causing me to think my speech is slurring ?

It is so obvious what is happening here. You are hyper aware because of your poor friend. You noticed these symptoms AFTER you started looking for them. I have been down the als rabbit hole (and still hover dangerously close to it!!) so I know how easily this can happen. I think I can be entirely confident in saying you DONT have it; given it’s rarity and how the symptoms developed AFTER your worry.

Ps. If you search my posts you will find that I too have worried about slurring (and still do when I think about it). My ALS worry got so bad, I eventually ended up in front of a neurologist. So I know from personal experience how ALS symptoms can very much be triggered by a combination of hyper awareness and anxiety.

Thank you for taking the time to get back to me , think I will just have to work out how to forget about it just hard when the symptoms are happening all day every day :(I will have a look now at your posts and thank you again

Yes. All you can do is wait, and over time the fear will lesson. But while it is happening, it can be unbearable. So I feel for you very much.....

Quote Originally Posted by Braveheart1984 View Post
    Read through that for the last couple of days and it says speech can be the first thing to to start slurring so it didn’t really help :(
    It says nothing of the sort!

Speech and swallowing issues

Many visitors fear bulbar onset. Generally speaking the first symptom of bulbar is slurred speech because the tongue does not work correctly. Sore throat, scratchy voice, food getting stuck are not bulbar symptoms and should be addressed by your doctor as they may indicate another issue but are NOT ALS. Saliva issues occur late in bulbar disease and noting excess saliva is NOT a sign of bulbar onset. The slurred speech of bulbar onset is persistent not a one- time or rare occurrence and will be noticed by others. If you are not being asked " are you drunk?" it is a good sign!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I’m a little confused the 4th line down says slurred speech is the first sign and that is what I think I have ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information