Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Receding Gums - Scared!

Receding Gums - Scared!

I'm having such bad anxiety over my teeth again (this happens a lot just before an appointment!)

About a month ago (maybe less) I was flossing and noticed that the gum in between my front teeth and also in between my canines has detached from the tooth.

Whenever I see my dentist she says I have Amazing teeth but not so great gums! I was meant to book a hygienist appt. Last year but then lockdown hit.

I'm now petrified I've left it too late and soon I'm going to have huge gaps or my teeth will fall out. I've always taken such pride in my smile that it's making me feel sick just thinking about it.

Can anyone offer any reassurance? Will the gum reattach?

I floss with a water flosser at night, brush twice a day with Corsodyl toothpaste and use Gengigel mouthwash

Re: Receding Gums - Scared!

I can't say what's fixable and what isn't. However, I've had a problem with receding gums as well, and a good deep clean (root planing and scaling) seemed to halt it in its tracks. I had noticed mine initially and thought it was just some change coming with age. Then I started experiencing a lot of bleeding from my gums. It was a while before I got the deep cleaning, and I never had an issue with gaps or teeth coming loose, so I think you'll be fine. Just keep in touch with your dentist and do what needs to be done.

I do have an appointment booked next week so hoepfully she will do a quick scaling then.

I did have this before with a bottom gum and it seemed to right itself after a clean so im hoping this will be the same. I just feel sick at the thought of losing my teeth early

I'm sure your dentist would let you know if there was any risk of you losing your teeth! I believe I have noticed this myself before and found that it seemed to right itself with better oral hygiene/after a good clean.

I finally booked a hygienist appointment for a few weeks time. My gums are still loose/soft and if I floss I can pull them away from the tooth. Now I feel like one front tooth is slightly loose. If I put a finger on it and push from behind with my bottom teeth I can feel slight movement!! Is this normal? Or am I about to lose teeth.

I can't cope with the anxiety this gives me!

It doesn't sound normal to have a loose tooth but let the dentist look

I have receding gums and had to have 2 Buccal fillings.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi WorryWendy,

I have had an issue with receding gums for years and I would hasten a guess that mine are far worse than yours......and I STILL have all of my teeth, bar my three wisdoms that were removed!

I have a lot of recession between and around the teeth on the right side of my mouth. They drive me mad as food constantly gets stuck in them and like you, my teeth have suffered this year as I had an appt booked last July and the dentist had to cancel it. It was my regular check-up and I REALLY wanted to discuss my gums with her!

Sadly, gum recession cannot be reversed. All we can do is maintain good mouth hygiene which means regular brushing ( but NOT TOO VIGOROUSLY as this can make things worse with receding gums) and flossing. The main thing that helps is keeping the gums very clean, as it is the plaque bacteria that mainly causes the recession.

I am pretty annoyed though as I have found that the gaps between my teeth have got larger since I have regularly flossed. I then read that if you floss too hard, this can happen. GRRRRR! You can't do right for doing wrong, it seems.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I can relate and please don't worry. I still have all of my teeth despite the recession and the same issues as you.

That's great you're booked on with the your hygeinist. Have a good chat with him/her and ask any questions or worries you have they are the gum experts and will give you the best advice. 👍
    Any tooth that you push or press on will have a tiny bit of movement. Try to stop pushing on it I know it's hard when you fixate on something!!
    Get yourself a good electric toothbrush, one with a sensor on it that lights up or buzzes if you're brushing too hard and keep up with flossing every day. The water flosser you have is a good thing too 👍
    Making sure you keep up with regular scalings with your dentist or hygienist.
    You would need to have severe periodontal disease for your teeth just to 'fall out' - trust me I've been in dentistry for nearly 30 years I've seen it all lol 👍

Quote Originally Posted by debs71 View Post
    Hi WorryWendy,

I have had an issue with receding gums for years and I would hasten a guess that mine are far worse than yours......and I STILL have all of my teeth, bar my three wisdoms that were removed!

I have a lot of recession between and around the teeth on the right side of my mouth. They drive me mad as food constantly gets stuck in them and like you, my teeth have suffered this year as I had an appt booked last July and the dentist had to cancel it. It was my regular check-up and I REALLY wanted to discuss my gums with her!

Sadly, gum recession cannot be reversed. All we can do is maintain good mouth hygiene which means regular brushing ( but NOT TOO VIGOROUSLY as this can make things worse with receding gums) and flossing. The main thing that helps is keeping the gums very clean, as it is the plaque bacteria that mainly causes the recession.

I am pretty annoyed though as I have found that the gaps between my teeth have got larger since I have regularly flossed. I then read that if you floss too hard, this can happen. GRRRRR! You can't do right for doing wrong, it seems.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I can relate and please don't worry. I still have all of my teeth despite the recession and the same issues as you.

Thank you for replying. If I'm honest, to look at them you cannot tell they're receding. It's just when I push up a bit of gum between teeth, they're squishy and you can pull them away from the tooth. Im worried after my hygiene appointment the gums will shrink and I'll have those black triangles. Its my front top teeth so will knock my confidence so much

Quote Originally Posted by Debsi77 View Post
    That's great you're booked on with the your hygeinist. Have a good chat with him/her and ask any questions or worries you have they are the gum experts and will give you the best advice. 
    Any tooth that you push or press on will have a tiny bit of movement. Try to stop pushing on it I know it's hard when you fixate on something!!
    Get yourself a good electric toothbrush, one with a sensor on it that lights up or buzzes if you're brushing too hard and keep up with flossing every day. The water flosser you have is a good thing too 
    Making sure you keep up with regular scalings with your dentist or hygienist.
    You would need to have severe periodontal disease for your teeth just to 'fall out' - trust me I've been in dentistry for nearly 30 years I've seen it all lol 
    Thank you so much for your reply. If im honest the movement in the "loose tooth" is so minimal but cos its top front its making me sick with anxiety that Im going to loose it at some point!

I've had the same with a bottom one for years and if im honest it has never ever gotten any worse.

My big thing is my "squishy gums" so if i was to press up on a bit of gum between 2 teeth, it comes away from the tooth!! Im so scared that after my hygiene appointment my gums will heal and shrink and leave those big black triangles!

Does this sound more like periodontitis than just gingivitis?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information