Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Receding Gums - Scared!

Re: Receding Gums - Scared!

It's hard to say without seeing your teeth but from what u describe it could just be a bit of gingivitis (which literally translates as inflammation of the gums)
    My advice would be don't push or irritate this but of gum that's coming away,
    Once you see your hygienist and any plaque or tartar has been removed from the teeth the gum should reattach 👍
    Keep brushing and flossing the area don't avoid it and if it bleeds don't avoid it! That's the mistake people make a lot, they see the blood and don't brush those areas but it's vital that you keep these areas clean.
    I hope this helps you a bit! I promise you that your teeth and gums will be fine try not to fixate too much - I know it's hard x

So annoyed. I was doing so well with this anxiety for the last 10 days or so.

Keeping up with the flossing and using Gengigel mouthwash. My gums seemed much firmer and when I pushed up I couldn't move it any more. And my tooth felt tighter.

I'll be honest, the last few days I've been a bit lazy and just brushing twice a day, although still using the mouthwash but not flossed.

This morning my tooth feels "loose" again and my gums are squishy :(

I'm back to square 1!

When I say loose, I literally have to put my finger on the gap between my two teeth and push with my tongue to feel any movement! Not sure if that's actually normal.

I'm so scared I'm going to lose this front tooth

I'll be honest, the last few days I've been a bit lazy and just brushing twice a day, although still using the mouthwash but not flossed.

This morning my tooth feels "loose" again and my gums are squishy :(
    Teeth don't change like that, that quickly, its not possible, if it feels 'loose again' then thats your imagination. Teeth do move slightly in the boney socket they sit in, they are meant to so there is some 'suspension'. For a tooth to actually be loose the gum disease would have to have reached right down into the boney area at the root of the tooth and be eroding the bone. Once that occurs it can't be changed. So, the fact that you said it felt ok for a few days, and now it doesn't, makes no sense at all and means that nothing that serious is happening.

I've had the same with a bottom one for years and if im honest it has never ever gotten any worse.
    You just need to keep better care of your gums, attend the cleaning appointment you've made and then carrying on with flossing/interdental brushes and cleaning twice a day based on their advice- they can tell you which brushes to use and give loads of advice. Gingivitis is reversible but needs to be maintained, where the gums are pulling away isn't always reversible I believe and some might remain a bit 'pliable', moving away from the tooth during flossing or when pressed. A pocket can be made down the sides of the teeth under the gums by gingivitis, keeping that pocket clean and well cared for will however keep the gums healthy and ensure the problem goes no further (I had gum problems years ago, before my tooth hygiene was obsessive and I'm just repeating what I was told by hygienists LOL)
    Last edited by Carys; 27-04-21 at 10:19.

Have you made the appointment with your hygeinist/dentist yet?
    If not, get along and see them ASAP to put your mind at rest.
    It takes a LOT of bone loss for teeth to just 'fall out' and I don't think you are anywhere near that stage!
    Get along see your hygienist and get a good scale and polish and some oral hygeine advice, trust me they are the experts and will help. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Debsi77 View Post
    Have you made the appointment with your hygeinist/dentist yet?
    If not, get along and see them ASAP to put your mind at rest.
    It takes a LOT of bone loss for teeth to just 'fall out' and I don't think you are anywhere near that stage!
    Get along see your hygienist and get a good scale and polish and some oral hygeine advice, trust me they are the experts and will help. 👍
    Yes not until nearer the end of May though!! Was an absolute nightmare trying to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Teeth don't change like that, that quickly, its not possible, if it feels 'loose again' then thats your imagination. Teeth do move slightly in the boney socket they sit in, they are meant to so there is some 'suspension'. For a tooth to actually be loose the gum disease would have to have reached right down into the boney area at the root of the tooth and be eroding the bone. Once that occurs it can't be changed. So, the fact that you said it felt ok for a few days, and now it doesn't, makes no sense at all and means that nothing that serious is happening.

You just need to keep better care of your gums, attend the cleaning appointment you've made and then carrying on with flossing/interdental brushes and cleaning twice a day based on their advice- they can tell you which brushes to use and give loads of advice. Gingivitis is reversible but needs to be maintained, where the gums are pulling away isn't always reversible I believe and some might remain a bit 'pliable', moving away from the tooth during flossing or when pressed. A pocket can be made down the sides of the teeth under the gums by gingivitis, keeping that pocket clean and well cared for will however keep the gums healthy and ensure the problem goes no further (I had gum problems years ago, before my tooth hygiene was obsessive and I'm just repeating what I was told by hygienists LOL)

I also have a hormone problem which at the moment is unstable so it's concerning me that no matter how good my oral hygiene is, this will just carry on making things worse. It's honestly my worst nightmare. I have recurring dreams of my teeth falling out! Haha

I too have a hormone problem, receeding gums is something that happens to many older women as part of natural changes, all the more important you care for them to your upmost. Bone erosion has to be major before teeth start falling out.

Quote Originally Posted by WorryWendy View Post
    Yes not until nearer the end of May though!! Was an absolute nightmare trying to get one.
    That's good at least that you booked in. Until then just keep up with your flossing and brushing and don't wobble that tooth!! 😊

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information