Thread: Can this be a real effect or a placebo?

Can this be a real effect or a placebo?

I take medication for anxiety and i usually take Sertraline brand Sandoz, but last week at the pharmacy they gave me a different brand called Sertraline SUN.
    It seems since i've been taking it i've been feeling a lot more sleepy.
    Like my eyes feel heavy and i feel so tired. Also i feel a little off...

Could this be due to switching brand?? or is this a placebo effect and i'm overthinking it?

Re: Can this be a real effect or a placebo?

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Panda22 View Post
    I take medication for anxiety and i usually take Sertraline brand Sandoz, but last week at the pharmacy they gave me a different brand called Sertraline SUN.
    It seems since i've been taking it i've been feeling a lot more sleepy.
    Like my eyes feel heavy and i feel so tired. Also i feel a little off...

Could this be due to switching brand?? or is this a placebo effect and i'm overthinking it?
    That happened to me when they gave me a generic instead of my usual brand.
    I went back and got a pack of my usual.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Both Sandoz and Sun Pharma are multinational generic drug makers with good track records. Both meds contain the same active ingredient, sertraline hydrochloride, and the same fillers, die stamping lubricant, colour, etc. The only difference is the SUN generic includes macrogol 400 in the tablet coating. It is a common ingredient in prescription and otc pharmaceuticals, vitamins, pain killers - pretty much any tablet with a gloss coating - so you've almost certainly encountered it before and I doubt it is responsible for the sedation.

Most likely. Just double check the tablet dose in case someone has made an error, but failing that the side-effect will likely diminish after a day or two.

Panic down under Thank you for letting me know the ingredients are pretty much the same!! That makes me feel better. Hopefully this side effect will go away soon, i'm probably just overthinking it then

Also, i did miss 2 days of taking the medication inbetween switching brands, because i was too late with the repeat recipe

Maybe it could be due to me missing 2 days? Either way thanks for the helpful replies

Also, i did miss 2 days of taking the medication inbetween switching brands, because i was too late with the repeat recipe

Maybe it could be due to me missing 2 days? Either way thanks for the helpful replies
    Skipping 2 days may well have been a factor. It could take a week for things to settle down again.

Thread Information