Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Musicians, how on earth are these chord progressions done?

Re: Musicians, how on earth are these chord progressions done?

Yeah I used to play live in a band in the........80s.........

I had a DX7, Alpha Juno, SQ1, Atari ST and Pro 24 as my first 'setup', although in reality I really didn't know what I was doing with it. I left school when I was 16, actually I went to sixth form college for about 6 weeks until I realised astrophysics and maths/statistics were not how I wanted to spend the rest of my life. So I went out and started working lol.

Anyway, er.....

M4L is heavily integrated into Live now, and there are some really cool extensions available for free. Probability Pack is a very good one. In fact I did a video on it for SA

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Yeah I used to play live in a band in the........80s......... I had a DX7, Alpha Juno, SQ1, Atari ST and Pro 24 as my first 'setup', ......
    I remember those. I had a W-30 in the 90's. Used to sequence backing tracks in a duo I played in. I was doing some purging and found some of the 3.5" floppies with the sets lists the other day. Sold the Roland around 10 years ago.

My recording setup is pretty basic. I have an old Korg D1600 and a couple of nice Audio-Technica mics. I feed the outputs into a PreSonus Audiobox midi interface and I'm running Cubase. Just enough to get a decent recording of my solo stuff.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Yeah I used to play live in a band in the........80s.........

I had a DX7, Alpha Juno, SQ1, Atari ST and Pro 24 as my first 'setup', although in reality I really didn't know what I was doing with it. I left school when I was 16, actually I went to sixth form college for about 6 weeks until I realised astrophysics and maths/statistics were not how I wanted to spend the rest of my life. So I went out and started working lol.

Anyway, er.....

M4L is heavily integrated into Live now, and there are some really cool extensions available for free. Probability Pack is a very good one. In fact I did a video on it for SA
    The probability pack is neat, I've played about with it. There's also the synth drums plugins that were done in M4L too. Live's automation is second to non.

astrophysics and maths/statistics
    Very cool. How is your math knowledge? Do you understand the fast fourier transform alogrithm?

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I remember those. I had a W-30 in the 90's. Used to sequence backing tracks in a duo I played in. I was doing some purging and found some of the 3.5" floppies with the sets lists the other day. Sold the Roland around 10 years ago.

My recording setup is pretty basic. I have an old Korg D1600 and a couple of nice Audio-Technica mics. I feed the outputs into a PreSonus Audiobox midi interface and I'm running Cubase. Just enough to get a decent recording of my solo stuff.

Positive thoughts
    Never owned a Korg D1600, but I did have a smaller recorder. A Tascam porta 414. I'd love another. Added to my wanted list I think it was Bjork that got me interested in them in the very early days.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Atari ST and Pro 24 as my first 'setup'
    The Atari mouse though. Bigger than a block of cathedral city.

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post

Positive thoughts

There's a lot to be said for using the old digital multi track boxes tbh. It's very easy to get lost in the process of making music with a computer, but that's not denying the incredible benefits and potential to using it.

I always wanted a W30 though, could never afford it at the time lol. Lots of the classic early dance tracks were made using that wonderful machine.

The only reason I have so much 'stuff' now is that it's literally my job. My income has slowly meandered over to teaching people how to use all this stuff, and the historical knowledge/context comes in very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Very cool. How is your math knowledge? Do you understand the fast fourier transform alogrithm?
    Yes, but no.....and I'll tell you why.

I learned over the last ten years that information overload is a very bad thing. The internet just has too much 'stuff' in it, and although I'm kinda of pre-wired to understand mathematics (I'm not so good with written/English etc), if you take on too much learning, it can become a mental burden. I have to place limits on what I will actually sit down and study now, because your brain works better than way. I used to pride myself on the 'massive IQ' and ability to understand everything, but ultimately that's just ego flexing. There's plenty of stuff I'm really sh1t at, so who cares right? You need to feed the spirit, the soul, the intellect AND the lazy fvcker that resides within yourself.

I learned over the last ten years that information overload is a very bad thing. The internet just has too much 'stuff' in it, and although I'm kinda of pre-wired to understand mathematics (I'm not so good with written/English etc), if you take on too much learning, it can become a mental burden. I have to place limits on what I will actually sit down and study now, because your brain works better than way. I used to pride myself on the 'massive IQ' and ability to understand everything, but ultimately that's just ego flexing. There's plenty of stuff I'm really sh1t at, so who cares right? You need to feed the spirit, the soul, the intellect AND the lazy fvcker that resides within yourself.
    Nail it. This is me too and a great explanation.

☪️️

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information